News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Octoate's News - Arkos Tracker v1.0 ***FOR WINDOWS***

Started by NewsBot, 22:00, 09 July 10

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

Arkos Tracker v1.0
9 July 2010, 10:22 pm

Ok, here it is: The final version of the Arkos Tracker.

With the Arkos Tracker you can compose your chiptune music for the Amstrad CPC (and a variety of other computers), compile them and use the player for the specific system. The sound playback is done via emulation of the AY-3-891x soundchip on your PC or directly on an Amstrad CPC via the CPC Booster+.

You can download the new Beta version from the tools section of the Arkos homepage.

Changes:

• The "Load Song" dialog can now load both AKS and SKS files at the same time.
  • You use use the command line to load a song.
  • Drag'n'drop possible to the Arkos Tracker executable file to load a song.
  • Bug corrected: Could not close the application with the top-right cross when the player was active.

© Octoate for Octoate.de - The Amstrad CPC news portal, 2010. |  PermalinkNo comment |  Add to  del.icio.us    Post tags: 2010, arkos, chiptune, music, sound, targhan, tracker, windows 

CPC-Topsites 

Related posts    Feed enhanced by Better Feed from  Ozh

Source: Octoate.de - The Amstrad CPC news portal

---
This news item first appeared on Octoate's Blog and was aggregated through RSS for the forum.
This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

mr_lou

In these modern times, where there are a lot of alternatives to Windows, any thread about a program should state what platform it's for.
"Arkos Tracker v1.0 for Windows" would be the correct title for this thread in my opinion.

Gryzor

Well, Octoate writes for a dedicated and educated public, and those who follow things (whom Octoate addresses) do know what it's for - he has presented it in detail before...

mr_lou

In these modern times, where there are a lot to follow everywhere, there are some people who doesn't follow everything everywhere all the time. News-posts should contain as much info as possible.

I stand by my opinion that the platform name should be included in all posts about a program, if it's only developed for 1 platform.

I don't remember last time I read about Arkos Tracker, but I remember someone being interested in the source with the intention of porting it to Linux. Maybe this has been done. I can't know from that news-post.

Addresses only people who follow things? Then what I'm saying is, that people ought to address everyone else as well. It's not that difficult.

And adding the platform-name definitely isn't an extra effort. It's a good thing to do, when/if there'll be a Linux version later, so it's easy to distinguish the two versions.

But everyone has the right to be conservative of course.

Octoate

This is a posting from my websites RSS feed, which means that I am the writer of this new article. I tag my new postings and I think that this is enough - at least for my site, which means that I won't change the way I write my topics in the future.
--

mr_lou

I didn't expect you to. But I still think you should, as should everyone else. Just my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.

TFM

And I think it's better to keep it shorter, exactly like it is. Because everybody can "see" the target platform. And if not, reding some lines of text will not kill somebody  :P   To make it more clear: Read the tags  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

I see a huge advantage in having 1 place to read all CPC news. This is what newsbot does for us. It could also be transformed into an RSS feed, so that we could follow CPC news everywhere, e.g. from a mobile phone. That would be really sweet in my opinion.

If however we have to click each news to find out more, then it loses some value (a lot to me). I can't see how you can argue against that.
But no I don't expect everyone to start writing news posts in a form that makes it more valuable for such a 1 place. That would be pretty naive of me to think everyone could see the advantage in that.
I am surprised though, that no one seems to see the advantage. It looks like you choose not to think about it for a moment, and instead feel a need to "support" the writer of the post, as if you feel I'm attacking the writers. I'm not.
When new things emerge, new procedures are adapted. Doesn't mean the old way of doing things were wrong.

Devilmarkus

I think this:
When a program is announced, and is not written "For Öpple Möc" or "For Lunix" we all suggest first, it's a Windumbs app ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:14, 13 July 10
I am surprised though, that no one seems to see the advantage.

Well, to tell you the truth, I'm surprised that you make such a big deal out of it. Ok, so Octoate wrote his article with people who already know about the program in mind, and it was fetched here. You could just ask "hey, what platform is this for?" and the author would get the message, instead of launching into a diatribe about how he should formulate his titles... This is getting a bit long in the tooth and does favors to no one :)

Here, I changed the article's title for you =)

mr_lou

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 07:41, 13 July 10
When a program is announced, and is not written "For Öpple Möc" or "For Lunix" we all suggest first, it's a Windumbs app ;)

Could also be for the CPC or the CPC+.

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:07, 13 July 10
I'm surprised that you make such a big deal out of it.

I don't think I am. I think you are.
But I give up now, as it seems no matter what I write, it's not understood the way I want it to.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:03, 13 July 10
Could also be for the CPC or the CPC+.

Sure, this

is a CPC 464 application...

arnoldemu

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:03, 13 July 10
But I give up now, as it seems no matter what I write, it's not understood the way I want it to.
I understand you.

I am not sure this would be possible without the original source also indicating the machine type.
Then this would be possible here.

I agree with what you say because it takes extra time to look at the news and discover if it is relevant to your interest.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

@mr_lou: it's NOT like I don't understand you. But please do read what I wrote because it's obvious you haven't: you could just ask "what's this for" and the author would get the message. It'd be that simple.

LOL @ Markus :D

mr_lou

@Markus: My initial post say "A thread about an app should have platform mentioned in the title". An image is not in the title, is it?
Any app can be for a lot of platforms, but it's usually only for 1 or few. Even your JavaCPC is infact for Windows only, isn't it? At least it's not optimal for Linux, because of lack of speed, and because it uses a lot of Windows specific tools. How many people do you think assumes "JavaCPC" will run on their Linux machine? And how many do you think assumes "JavaCPC for Windows" will run on their Linux machine?

@Gryzor: Yes I read what you wrote. What's obvious to you is infact not the truth. You on the other hand have clearly not read what I wrote. The whole thing is about easy access to news, quick info. Why would I want to write to the author?? I might as well use Google from the start then, instead of this newsbot.

One last time for the daft: This has got nothing to do with Octoate, or whatever posts he has written in the past. This is just my opinion about how people ought to write news posts in the future, in order to give a service like Newsbot more value.

Anyone still not getting it, read my posts again. Still not getting it, then don't reply, you'll never get it anyway.

mr_lou

Quote from: arnoldemu on 11:13, 13 July 10
I understand you.

I am not sure this would be possible without the original source also indicating the machine type.
Then this would be possible here.

I agree with what you say because it takes extra time to look at the news and discover if it is relevant to your interest.

Thank you.

Gryzor

I think I see something in there; you seem to propose that this feature becomes an all-around aggregator and a reference point, and that news authors of other sites should adapt their writing with this in mind - am I correct?

Well, it'd be nice, but I don't  really want to step over other people's feet... this is just that - a collection of things that others posted on their sites, for their audience. I'm considering actually using such a feature for the wiki itself, to enrich the news flow, but again it's not like Octoate or any Octoate writes their news for syndication :)

Devilmarkus

Quote from: mr_lou on 12:07, 13 July 10
How many people do you think assumes "JavaCPC" will run on their Linux machine? And how many do you think assumes "JavaCPC for Windows" will run on their Linux machine?

Well:
Theoretically it 'should' run under Linux as well as under Mac OS.
There's no reason (in code) why it should not.
Mac OS user need Java 1.6 at least.
Linux user need good sound implementation in Java.
Also some Windows users have the same problem.
(I once run it on a Windows PC with a Realtek soundcard and it ran too slow)

But:
Theoretically there's no reason why JavaCPC shouldn't run on Linux machines, too.

Targhan

Arkos Tracker is for Windows ? Yes, but not only : the command line tools that go with it run under Linux/Mac OsX with Mono. A complicated issue, isn't it ? :)
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 12:07, 13 July 10
One last time for the daft: This has got nothing to do with Octoate, or whatever posts he has written in the past. This is just my opinion about how people ought to write news posts in the future, in order to give a service like Newsbot more value.

Hey Mr Lou! If you want to have it that way, then I have a very easy solution for you:
Built up your own news page, and the Wiki-Robot will post all your news here in exactly your style.

I'm looking forward for your news portal :-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:13, 13 July 10

Hey Mr Lou! If you want to have it that way, then I have a very easy solution for you:
Built up your own news page, and the Wiki-Robot will post all your news here in exactly your style.

I'm looking forward for your news portal :-)

Hey man, this was uncalled-for... no need to be so hostile...

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 21:28, 13 July 10
Hey man, this was uncalled-for... no need to be so hostile...

Hostile? Don't you see the :-) Pick you own nose ;-)

My opinion is... if you want it exactly your way, just do it by yourself. What's wrong with that?
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Well, for starters, you were being, intentionally or not, ironic. A smiley at the end doesn't cut it...

And, on a philosophical level, the theory of "if you want it exactly your way do it yourself" doesn't hold much water. Not practical. Doesn't make any sense. So I don't like how the buttons on my HTC HD2 work, should I build one on my own? :D

Targhan

You guys are bothering me. I'm building my own forum with bots to talk to.

I'm sorry, I forgot :
:) .
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Gryzor

Quote from: Targhan on 13:14, 14 July 10
You guys are bothering me. I'm building my own forum with bots to talk to.

I sorry, I forgot :
:).

Prize post :D