News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Octoate's News - Magica – new game by Reidrac

Started by NewsBot, 23:00, 05 November 16

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

Magica – new game by Reidrac
5 November 2016, 10:00 pm

Reidrac released a new game called Magica for the Amstrad CPC. In the game you play a sorceress who needs to recollect all the magic potions, which were stolen from her laboratory. During a level you have 50 seconds to beat all enemies and collect the potions.

Magica Ingame

The game features nice graphics, music and 5o levels to compete with the enemies. It runs on an Amstrad CPC 464, so only 64k RAM is needed and was written by using Artaburus CPCRSlib and the PSG player by WYZ. You can download the game from the Magica homepage or at the end of this news.

© Octoate for The Amstrad CPC news portal, 2016. | Permalink | No comment | Add to del.icio.us  Post tags: 2016, arcade, cpcrslib, game, magica, reldrac, usebox, wyztracker

CPC-Topsites  Related posts:

Source: The Amstrad CPC news portal

---
This news item first appeared on Octoate's Blog and was aggregated through RSS for the forum.
This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

GFXOR

I just discovered this game. I am very a bad player, so I won't be able to talk about the game itself, which remains me "Evil Donjon" in more beautifull, and different way.

I was completely stunned by the intro screen. Really, the screenshot is beautifull, one of the best I have ever seen in mode 0... on the PC. Yes, on the CPC, the colours are completely different. The colours 5 (basic number) has a really different render.

Here is a picture of the CPC (right clic, "display picture" to see it bigger) :

As you can see, the "5" blue is everywhere.
– the sorceress on the left
– the sorcerer on the right (the blue is lighter that the light on its left side)
– the devil on the right has some blue everywhere on the face
– and some other details.
I guess the illustrator did not have a CPC to draw it. And maybe some small changes are possible without redrawing it, by changing only the palette.

Here is an example :

I only made some small changes :
5>4
2>1
1>0 (eventually)
11>10
10>9
This reduces the palette to 15 colours.
I guess that 14>11 could be good in some parts of the picture only : everywhere but the faces (close to the pink 16) and the beard (close to the light colors). And it could be possible tu keep the palette to 16 colours.

I hope this could keep the spirit/wit of the original illustration.
Supersly from the Les sucres en morceaux

reidrac

Quote from: GFXOR on 14:24, 06 November 16
I hope this could keep the spirit/wit of the original illustration.

When I tried it in my CPC (with CRT) it looked great to me!

[attach=2]

(click to expand)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

GFXOR

There is the same problem. Look at the devil's face.

Nich

Quote from: GFXOR on 14:24, 06 November 16
I was completely stunned by the intro screen. Really, the screenshot is beautifull, one of the best I have ever seen in mode 0... on the PC. Yes, on the CPC, the colours are completely different. The colours 5 (basic number) has a really different render.

It depends on which emulator you're using, although you probably know that already. In WinAPE, the normal 27-colour palette appears relatively dark, although I think that's the way colours are displayed on a real Plus monitor. On the other hand, CPCE displays colours much lighter than in other emulators (e.g. grey (colour 13) has RGB hex code #9292AA instead of #7F7F7F). Still, that's a lot better than CPCEMU's default colour settings way back when I first used it in the late 1990s... :laugh:

reidrac

Quote from: GFXOR on 14:47, 06 November 16
There is the same problem. Look at the devil's face.

Yes, I see it but I don't see it as a problem. I'm not the artist so my opinion is not really important, I'm sure @Mermaid appreciates your feedback :)

I make my games using emulators, and you're right things looks differently in the CRT.

I mostly use CPCE now a days (fullscreen works great in Linux), but I also test with WinAPE and JavaCPC.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

MacDeath

@Supersly ?
@GFXOR

you may perhaps discuss this with this grapism author there :
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/general-discussion/hi-all/10/

She comes from C64 , not sure she actually has a real CPC under hands.
May be fun to find one to send her.

Please be kind with her.
Rare to have talented pixel artists, more especialy coming from C64 and being Girl.
:)

Also the "blue" means the Magic spell would produce lighting.
This is not quite chocking.

GFXOR

Supersly = GFXOR
Sorry, I subscribed a long time ago...

Neil79

Quote from: NewsBot on 23:00, 05 November 16

This news item first appeared on Octoate's Blog and was aggregated through RSS for the forum.

Actually this news first appeared on Indie Retro News, but hey ho  :laugh:
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter