News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Quigs Release Candidate.

Started by Trebmint, 19:13, 04 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Trebmint

Hey after a long while trying to get as much functionality into Quigs the Symbos development IDE, I've finally got to a stable and pretty full release candidate.
You can grab a copy here. [size=78%]https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuYjaWFtk2i5jcUfxVmwptrKgfdsvA?e=7sCdc3[/size]

Quigs for those who don't know is a development suite for the Symbos operating System, meaning we can develop cross platform on the CPC, MSX2 and Enterprise series of computers. Quigs has built in media tool with graphics importation, form editor and a fully fledged and simple to learn compiled language. You can even integrate assembler freely into its basic like code. I will be releasing tutorial videos to help people along.

Currently the language/form allows you to develop for Symbos' GUI, meaning for the first time you can code Network apps in Quigs Basic. There is a fully playable Chess app in the directory for you too look/compile too. Ultimately we will have v9990 graphics support, on which I've released a video already.

Hope people like, and if you have any issues or need any info let me know.

Rob (Trebmint)

teopl

Looking forward to those tutorials and I hope soon I will have time to experiment more with SymbOS apps.

For now I just tried to compile and run few apps and had no problems with that...

One issue I had was that window could not be resized (on Windows7 VM at least) so I must hide the task bar :)

Network apps? Sounds great!

Trebmint

Quote from: teopl on 19:27, 04 July 20
Looking forward to those tutorials and I hope soon I will have time to experiment more with SymbOS apps.

For now I just tried to compile and run few apps and had no problems with that...

One issue I had was that window could not be resized (on Windows7 VM at least) so I must hide the task bar :)

Network apps? Sounds great!
Hey yes... indeed due to the very old language that Quigs was developed in, you cant change the window size without a restart. You can set the resolution of the window in the Settings.txt in the main directory. On a restart of the app it should fit :)

HAL6128

The new release took about 5-6 minutes to start on my system. The pre-release (alpha) started immediately. I'm using a standard Windows 10 system. Did you change something?
Cheers.
HAL6128
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Trebmint

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 09:36, 09 July 20
The new release took about 5-6 minutes to start on my system. The pre-release (alpha) started immediately. I'm using a standard Windows 10 system. Did you change something?
Cheers.
HAL6128
Yes its weird. I think it might be something to do with Virus Scanning. If you close and restart it will be instant again... or thats what Edo told me when he installed it.

HAL6128

I'm working only with the internal MS virus scanner. After disabling it that long starting time still appears. CPU performance is about 25% during starting time. Task manager tells "no response".
After that Quigs is running with 1-2% CPU performance.

Trebmint

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 11:50, 09 July 20
I'm working only with the internal MS virus scanner. After disabling it that long starting time still appears. CPU performance is about 25% during starting time. Task manager tells "no response".
After that Quigs is running with 1-2% CPU performance.
Hmm... I will look at the code and see if there is anything obvious that it could be.

EddieRoyaleWithCheese

can someone tell me what a release candidate means?

Trebmint

Quote from: EddieRoyaleWithCheese on 18:04, 09 July 20
can someone tell me what a release candidate means?
It means its a candidate for a release version if nobody moans and finds loads of bugs

EddieRoyaleWithCheese

HAL6128

So, I was playing with some Windows safety options. It didn't solve the problem of the long starting time but this time I received a "memory access violation" message and the application crashed.
Must check it on different system.

HAL6128

Checked it on a different Windows 10 system and it starts immediatly.

The difference between both system is the graphic (also the sound) driver. The first system (with the slow start) works with a built-in graphic chip from INTEL (Mini-PC). The second one owns a NVIDIA graphic card. Maybe...

Trebmint

Strange. Perhaps its a memory issue, so I've tried to release a bit. Hopefully get an upgrade out over weekend...