News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad Australia Day - 22 June 2024 in Sydney!

Started by Amagni, 01:06, 23 May 24

Previous topic - Next topic

Amagni

To celebrate 40 years of the mighty Arnold, the Australian Computer Museum in Croydon, Sydney will be hosting a special one-off event next month.

Amstrad enthusiasts of all ages are invited to drop in, load up and play on with some of Australia's most incurable computer hoarders, surrounded by as many working machines as we can squeeze into a light-industrial-zoned warehouse just off Parramatta Road!

I'll have my own game CPC Wars with the custom twin-stick controller I built, and show off a new one I'm working on: 

We'll also be unboxing some new sealed games from Poly.play and trying them out together.  It's been some time since I've seen a fresh 3-inch diskette, so I'm very excited for this!

Both Rod Lawton (long-serving Amstrad Action editor) and Roland Perry (yes, the Roland!) have agreed to do video interviews, which I'll be recording soon and will play on the day.  If I can convince either to get up really early on Saturday we might get a live call-in later in the day, but no promises on that.

I'm still chasing up any old Amstrad Australia staff who might want to speak, if anyone out there is or knows one of these guys please let me know.  The last one I spoke to is keen to come but really doesn't like public speaking, maybe just give him a nod and a wave or something...

At the museum we have a 464, a 6128, a PCW8256, a PC1512, an NC100 portable and a PPC640D still in the original box.  There are also a couple of Spectrums and I'll put the Oric out because I think it looks nice.
I'm chasing up a Plus owner in another city, but if anyone in Sydney has one please get in touch.  More generally, we'd love for people to bring in their own CPCs, games, magazines, software or peripherals to show off.

We're setting up an Eventbrite page and I'll post the link when it's ready.  June 22, save the date!

Amagni

Here's a video from our Commodore day in 2022: 

Don't worry, I'll be checking carefully to make sure no Commodore machines are on display for Amstrad Day!

cwpab

Very nice! Quick question: Is there any Australian game for the CPC?

Amagni

Quote from: cwpab on 18:01, 23 May 24Very nice! Quick question: Is there any Australian game for the CPC?

I found an old disc at the museum that had files from a Queensland Amstrad user group, including some BASIC games.  You can check them out in the Zip below.

A quick Google search turned up an AFL game: https://cpcrulez.fr/GamesTest/australian_rules_football.htm

There's also "Aussie Games" but it's published by US Gold so it may not have been made in Australia: https://cpcrulez.fr/GamesTest/australian_rules_football.htm

I'm sure there were loads of homebrew games back in the day, but they'd be hard to find unless the authors get in touch with the museum and send us a copy.

Amagni

Ticket sales are now open: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/the-acms-presents-40-years-of-amstrad-tickets-910149189727

If you have any way of getting to Sydney on the 22nd, you should come along, as I can't imagine there being any other Aussie Amstrad events in my lifetime unless I organise those too!