News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Revision 2018

Started by Targhan, 23:03, 26 March 18

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty_benediction

ATM I have no 3" to test.However regarding the size of the DSK I guess that I cannot put a side of the DSK in a side of 3" inch.Th nfo file on pouet only talks of 3"5 discs

krusty_benediction

Not sure I will finally look t the balls screen, too much investment to dig in ;)
I have to admit that I'm (positively) surprised of the implementation of the tunnel. I guess I would have chosen more complex, more memory intensive way for not a better result

arnoldemu

Quote from: krusty_benediction on 10:02, 08 April 18
ATM I have no 3" to test.However regarding the size of the DSK I guess that I cannot put a side of the DSK in a side of 3" inch.Th nfo file on pouet only talks of 3"5 discs
ah ok. Yes it's a double sided disk.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

norecess464

QuoteI'll look at your circles routines because I still do not understand why you are limited to 2
As I said to you at Revision, I used EXX to switch between the 2 bobs data. For each scanlines (64 nop) I need to manage left edge bob 1 + right edge bob 1 + left edge bob 2 + right edge bob 2 + update raster. Don't forget for each edge to have to manage a blank byte to "clear" data (when displaying second half part of a circle).
I would be surprised to see 3 bobs of similar size moving fullscreen on CPC one day, but if there would be one I would be quite impressed :)

QuoteI think phX is the very first demo that does not work on a standard 3" disc
Phortem was the first.

Quotedo you plan to release a 3" discs version ?
No. Version released @ Revision was the final one.
The only complain I got with Phortem was a comment from Super Sylvestre, which I did not focus much since he had the hardware to launch the demo anyway.
Nowadays, I believe people watch the demo like that:
- 85% youtube
- 10% emulator
- 4% old devices (SDCard, USB, 3"1/2..)
- less than 1% for 3" ?

Quotedid the revision organizers asked you to justify that ?
They don't care.
Keep in mind modern storage devices (SDcard, USB & co) attached to the machine are the new standard. C64 have the Ultimate-II for years.
Now if the machine would come with many attached expansions I think they would probably start asking questions.

QuoteI have to admit that I'm (positively) surprised of the implementation of the tunnel
Thanks !

If you want to dig for some "gem" in my source-code, I recommend looking at those files
They can eventually be reused with any another projects, independently from phX.
src/Z80/Framework/_PreProcsNops.z80
src/Z80/Framework/CallLinesNops.z80
src/Z80/Framework/PreProc.z80

But honestly, it's already pretty difficult for me to understand my own code few weeks later - so I can imagine how hard it may be for someone not used to the code base :)

Wish you happy digging!
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

roudoudou

Quote from: norecess on 14:16, 08 April 18
As I said to you at Revision, I used EXX to switch between the 2 bobs data. For each scanlines (64 nop) I need to manage left edge bob 1 + right edge bob 1 + left edge bob 2 + right edge bob 2 + update raster. Don't forget for each edge to have to manage a blank byte to "clear" data (when displaying second half part of a circle).
I would be surprised to see 3 bobs of similar size moving fullscreen on CPC one day, but if there would be one I would be quite impressed :)

That's a future challenge ;D

[/size]
Quote from: norecess on 14:16, 08 April 18
But honestly, it's already pretty difficult for me to understand my own code few weeks later - so I can imagine how hard it may be for someone not used to the code base :)
That's not a surprise, the code has barely no comment. [/size]So why release the sources then?

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

norecess464

QuoteThat's a future challenge ;D
Well, not sure? maybe you should investigate on some real new effects instead of iterating again and again on existing effects. There are still plenty of new stuff to show on CPC ! :)

QuoteThat's not a surprise, the code has barely no comment. So why release the sources then?

Yep, it comes "as is". With some luck some people may eventually find interesting approaches even without the presence of comments.
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

villain

I would have been very happy if it would work from the SD inside my M4. So I had to watch it on YouTube. But what am I complaining about. You spent 5 years with this very cool production and for me it's just time to buy a HXC.  ;)

toms

Thanks to TotO/ ACME, you can re-live the event by reading his nice report. And if you don't understand french, ask BSC to translate it or visit our photo gallery!

MacDeath

fun report, may need to translate it perhaps.

Shining

My 6128 newly has this pjotr internal gotek clone. And I was positively surprised when I put the dsk on a usb stick and sucessfully booted the demo without connecting any external rom (I didn't expect that). So the complete 80-track handling is included in the demo/trackloader itself.

TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

GUNHED

Quote from: krusty_benediction on 09:34, 08 April 18
I think  phX is the very first demo that does not work on a standard 3" disc

Not really, there were plenty before. One of my first demos from 1994 already needed a double-sided 80 track drive (so speaking Vortex format on 5.25" or 3.5" drive, like it's common today).  :)

It's nice to have stuff on 3", but it's way more cool to use new hardware to the fullest IMHO.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

rexbeng

@beb

Is that Longshot's face on the intro screen of Onescreen Colonies?

beb

Quote from: rexbeng on 17:29, 09 April 18
@beb
Is that Longshot's face on the intro screen of Onescreen Colonies?

Uhh ? No.. do you think he looks like him ?
there is no reason to caricature longshot in this production...

It's about vertical splitting technics, so I tried to paint Chany's face :) :) :)
>> Oldskool Rules // Asic Suxx <<

rexbeng

Hahah!

Well, I thought it could be Longshot because I didnt make the connection to Chany. But I find the idea to make a graphical reference to (past) sceners really fabulous! I hope you keep it in your next demos!

By the way; the balance between the graphics and the code (or the code and the graphics) is amazing, both in OSC and Isometrikum. Great job Hicks and Beb!  :-*

beb

To be honest it's a Russian cosmonaut. Because I like the idea of colonizing other planets ...
And initially we hoped to make a production more on this theme. (And life goes on...)

For the vertical splitting, I'll have to draw Overflow, Duncan, Gozeur, Chany or Ramlaid.
The real CRTC technicians... before Hicks landed;)

Thank you for everything.

MacDeath

Quote from: krusty_benediction on 09:34, 08 April 18
I think  phX is the very first demo that does not work on a standard 3" disc
Lol what was Breaking Baud then ?

;D

beb

On CPC-Power website  you can see how many sectors are used per side.
Side 1: 427 sectors
Side 2: 411 sectors
Size 2 Sectors are 512bytes long so one side is 213kb and the other 206kb.
A 3p floppy disk can handle 42 tracks of 10 T2 sectors per side. (to be compatible with this version)
So a 3p version can be build (maybe removing the intro loading gfx)

Quote from: MacDeath on 21:56, 09 April 18
Lol what was Breaking Baud then ?
;D

You know, Krusty means that the "PHX trackmo" can't be run on a "stock machine" because Amstrad CPC(+) were sold only with a "tapedrive" or 3p diskdrive. But I agree today everybody have a 3,5p diskdrive or an HXC-like hardware. (norecess explained this well)

Nobody complained about this little hardware problem at Revision-Party...

Hoping that people have the same indulgence for some of our demos, not necessarily compatible with some hardware ... ;)

toms

English version of TotO's report is available!

Targhan

Nice report Toto, thanks!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

norecess464

When I came to the Revision 2018, I asked Carlos Pardo a.k.a. "Made" to come with a poster (check his website for more information). I always enjoyed his work for the demoscene (but not only), if you remember well I even interviewed him on my website.

The idea was to let friends at Revision 2018 sign the poster so I could bring home a unique souvenir of the party.

Have signed:
- Krusty
- Optimus
- Alkama
- Kangaroo
- Soundy
- Offset
- BSC
- Zik
- Mars
- Toms
- Hicks
- Prodatron
- me :)
- Made
- Octoate
- TotO
- Beb
- CeD
- Factor6
- Overflow
- Targhan
- Eliot
- Longshot

Looking at this thing is now going to give me infinite motivation for future productions in the years to come ! :)
Thanks !!!

toms

Thanks to Zik/Futurs', some more photos of Revision have been added to Memory Full.

norecess464

Just few words to let you know that I participated to the Mystery Demoscene Theater 9000 S03E06 ! With introspec and psenough (Pantaloon/Fairlight could not make it on the very last minute, unfortunately !), we discussed about oldschool demoscene for about 1 hour and a half (with some focus on Revision 2018 prods). That was fun!

Youtube link