News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Sub Hunter now available!

Started by Axelay, 00:21, 15 February 11

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

I didn't even realize that it scrolls to this side, and I it doesn't matter to me.

Technically it makes no difference. :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Axelay

Quote from: Optimus on 21:20, 19 February 11
Just a curious question. I know it could be a design decision taken from the C64 version. Why the scrolling from right to left?

Well, I am used to it now but I know other people who are curious about this design decision. Someone asked me if it was a technical limitation but I think both on CPC and C64 you can scroll both ways with the same ease. And we are used in left to right shoot em ups always, maybe it's the first time I played in the opposite way, so it seems strange to many people.

Do you know?

For the CPC version, it's just because the C64 original is that way round.  I never asked why as it didn't really matter to me beyond 'hey that's a bit unusual', I just assumed it was because the original Vic 20 game did it that way.  I havent been able to find an image of the Vic game, but I did see this on Richard's Blog:

QuoteBecause I want my game to be based on the classic Vic 20 game called "Sub Hunt", I want the scrolling direction to move right, therefore I have to reverse the process of the scroll routine.

So it sounds like that was the case.

As the CPC version is a just using a simple repeating block pattern with a cycling offset, it is just incrementing a counter through 0-15 for the scroll offset using an inc a.  You could change the direction of the scrolling simply by changing it to a dec a.  In an emulator you can even try this by loading the game and setting the value at &8DA1 to &3D.  I guess if used in other games, the method would even easily allow for speed changes in the scrolling too.

Kenz has just let me know that there is now a Psytronik promo video for the game, you can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScYR8NmxN28

Optimus

Sorry, when I said about the scrolling I wasn't meaning just the background, I was mainly wondering about the whole gameplay decision to have your ship in the right side of the screen, things coming from the left as opposed to what is usual in sideways shoot em ups where you always start on the left side shooting to the right. Personally it didn't affect my experience, it's just that I have heard from few other people that this would be unplayable. But I think one can get used to it.

As for Richard's comment it makes more sense now. So, it was still a style decision from the classic on Vic. I am trying to find a youtube video now to see how it was :)

mr_lou

Sometimes we just want to be different.  ;)

www.UkkosJourney.com  8)

fano

Finaly found time to try it on my CPC , very nice game , congratulations  ;D
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Gryzor

Anyone knows when the tapes/disks are going to be shipped?

Axelay

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:22, 01 March 11
Anyone knows when the tapes/disks are going to be shipped?

Kenz received the master disk on Tuesday and I understand he has started shipping pre-orders, but has not got through all of them yet.

Gryzor

Cool - can't wait :) I have only played it for a few minutes, waiting for the disk to arrive to load it on the real thing...

Xyphoe

My disk arrived, but won't seem to load past the Psytronik loader on my 6128+ - it just changes to a red border, you hit a key and the disk whirrs but then flashes the red border again and goes nowhere. Both sides of the disk do this.

Star Sabre that arrived too works fine.

Anyone else have a problem loading the disk on a 6128+ machine?

Gryzor

Dodgy disk - return it to the shop and get Barbarian instead :D

Haven't tried it on my Plus - it only arrived yesterday, I may bring the Plus down and test it unless someone else can confirm.

Btw, I got both the tape and disk versions - dammit, did they have to come shrink-wrapped? Now I can't have a "r@re! sealed!" copy... :(

Xyphoe

To be honest, I need to do a little more testing myself - I'll get the normal 6128 plugged in and see if it loads in that or not.
Star Sabre disk that I ordered at the same time works fine though amongst some other new disks that arrived I bought.

TFM

Hi  :)   Are you thinking about making a Video from a real CPC. Could be more smooth than on Emulators (well, depends on host PC I guess...)?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

You'd need a pretty decent camera setup :( Unless you have a CPC with vid-capturing capabilities!

ssg

Awesome job. I ordered this couple of weeks ago. We'll see how fast the delivery works to Turkey :)

Axelay

Quote from: Xyphoe on 23:32, 16 March 11
My disk arrived, but won't seem to load past the Psytronik loader on my 6128+ - it just changes to a red border, you hit a key and the disk whirrs but then flashes the red border again and goes nowhere. Both sides of the disk do this.

Damn, sorry to hear you've had problems with the Sub Hunter disk.  :(  Tom&Jerry tried it on his 6128+ though, so it shouldn't be any issue to do with compatibility with the plus range.  I'm pretty sure Kenz said he was testing each game before he posted it too, so I'm not sure what could be going wrong.  :-\

dragon

My disk arrived, but won't seem to load past the Psytronik loader on my   6128+ - it just changes to a red border, you hit a key and the disk   whirrs but then flashes the red border again and goes nowhere. Both   sides of the disk do this.

Same here,but with the game download,and 3,5".

He works after I tried with three diferent disk,and only on side B.cpcdisk not report problems save it.

Only works for me in sony disk(side b)and with lite red border one time,in maxell not work.¿?

viddi

Quote from: dragon on 22:51, 24 March 11
My disk arrived, but won't seem to load past the Psytronik loader on my   6128+ - it just changes to a red border, you hit a key and the disk   whirrs but then flashes the red border again and goes nowhere. Both   sides of the disk do this.

Same here,but with the game download,and 3,5".

He works after I tried with three diferent disk,and only on side B.cpcdisk not report problems save it.

Only works for me in sony disk(side b)and with lite red border one time,in maxell not work.¿?

Mhhh....working fine here (the original copy and the transferred download version (3,5" & 3"))

dragon

I think I found the solution of problem!.

In cpc disk mark the Dsk gap information instead of calculate it.

I marked it,and now it works in the disks not work before!. :)

If I not marked it,it work only in determited disks.

TomEtJerry

Hi,

If you have problems to load Sub Hunter original disk, maybe you should change the belt of the cpc's internal drive.

T&J/GPA

Xyphoe

I've now tested on my normal CPC 6128 and the same happens there.

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 20:36, 25 March 11
Hi,

If you have problems to load Sub Hunter original disk, maybe you should change the belt of the cpc's internal drive.

T&J/GPA

Hi - belts have been changed recently on both the 6128+ and 6128

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:02, 18 March 11
.... Unless you have a CPC with vid-capturing capabilities!

Well, actually I have such a thing. But what we need is the opposite ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

Axelay

Quote from: Xyphoe on 22:31, 25 March 11
I've now tested on my normal CPC 6128 and the same happens there.

Hi - belts have been changed recently on both the 6128+ and 6128

Do you have the means to transfer a dsk image to 3" disk?  If so, have you ever tried to copy the Sub Hunter dsk image to a blank 3", and also did you ever try Dead on Time on a 3" disk?

Xyphoe

Quote from: Axelay on 06:32, 27 March 11

Do you have the means to transfer a dsk image to 3" disk?  If so, have you ever tried to copy the Sub Hunter dsk image to a blank 3", and also did you ever try Dead on Time on a 3" disk?

Hi - sorry I don't have present :(
Star Sabre disk that came in the same package works fine

AMSDOS

Quote from: Axelay on 00:21, 15 February 11
Hi all

Sub Hunter for the CPC is now available for download from the Psytronik website from the downloads section.
http://www.psytronik.net/

The download contains both a disk and tape image.

Physical media versions are also available from the Binary Zone store, tape version is available now, disk version is up for pre-order.
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/

Many thanks to Tom & Jerry for all the great music and additional testing!  :)

Paul

Very nice game (only just got the chance to play it myself!  8) ), I got to Level 4 myself after a couple of goes, is that normal?  :-[ If there's 10 or more levels then Level 4 will keep me busy for a while!  8)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

arnoldemu

Great review in Retro Gamer btw!!!!!
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource