News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

This is Mac's Death.... iDied.

Started by MacDeath, 15:39, 06 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess

I will actually complete my feeling over Macs today :

- in 2004, when I got my first Mac, it was "cool" to get one since it was not that popular. I felt like being member of a special community, a bit like having an Amiga back in the days.
- but after 2006-2007, things changed, it started to be popular to get a Mac and then, to me, I felt like it was not that cool anymore.

Bryce

But Pancreas in German is "Bauch-Speichel-Drüse" = BSD, does that mean Linux won over here?

Bryce.

redbox

Quote from: Bryce on 13:07, 10 October 11
"Bauch-Speichel-Drüse"

Abdominal salivary gland...?!

Could they not just have used the Greek word instead like most things in medicine...?

Pan = bread, Kreas = flesh or meat.  Breadmeat.  Ummm, okay, maybe das deutsch ist besser  ;)

MaV

Quote from: Bryce on 13:07, 10 October 11
BSD, does that mean Linux won over here?

*cough*Unix*cough*

(just trying to save your ass from angry BSD-Users ;) )
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

MaV

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

redbox

Quote from: MaV on 13:41, 10 October 11
It's Greek, so "pan" means "all".

Indeed you're right.

I was getting my languages mixed up - greek word Pankreas is Sweet-Bread.  I thought of the French, pain, which of course you pronounce "pan".

So it's AllFlesh.  Sounds like a weird advertising slogan.

MacDeath

Germany is not fond of  Greek stuff these days... ;D

Pain comes from panem, Latin I guess.

while "pan" (all) is not used as an independent word.

Pangée : the great unique continent from the origin.

Pan-Européen... and so on.

What about english and frying pan ?

also :

let's remember thiso ne.

iHouse : but it has no windows ? exactly !

redbox

Quote from: MacDeath on 14:06, 10 October 11
while "pan" (all) is not used as an independent word.
Pan-Européen... and so on.
What about english and frying pan ?

Pan is the same in english, it means "all", same as the French (e.g. Pan-European).

It's also a cooking pot, hence frying Pan.  Put the potatoes in the pan.

It's slang too, meaning something is rubbish - "the show was panned".

Gryzor

I'm not sure MS-DOS was a CP/M clone, after all CLIs those days would resemble one another. And of course, as is well known, Windows was inspired by MacOS as much as MacOS was inspired from HP and others.

There's no parthenogenesis, so copying is not bad - on the contrary, it's quite good for advancement and innovation. That's why I dislike Apple so much for going after copycats.

As for being philosophical... Well, I've never really studied the man (I think there are more important men to study); yet, I'm sorry but I don't remember him saying anything really profound and philosophical. "Stay hungry, stay foolish" - pfffft, this is a slogan, not a philosophy, give me a break. If people buy this stuff then Coehlo and Buscaglia should be up there with Socrates and Plato (aaaand they are, in this great, learned society we live in).

Snobbish, (ridiculously) rich son of a... and let's not forget how he ripped off Wozniak in the Atari case.