News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Quote from: TotO on 07:48, 14 September 15
Yes, you need the patched version now.
OK, thanks for the confirmation. Now... Which thread was that attached to? Some searching will be required I thinks. ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Prodatron

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:19, 13 September 15
Hmmmm, I am having problems with my replacement x-Mass. Did I remember a special patched release of Symbos for some Xmass Cards that did not play nice with the default one? @Prodatron please confirm I am not going mad!

Yes, in april I removed an LBA detection, which seemed to use a wrong methode. I don't find the post from april anymore, haha!
But the modification is included in the last beta release, too ( SymbOS 3.0 beta network edition released with new applications ), so just try this. Another beta release is coming soon, which will also be available as ROM again.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

CraigsBar

Quote from: Prodatron on 10:15, 14 September 15
Yes, in april I removed an LBA detection, which seemed to use a wrong methode. I don't find the post from april anymore, haha!
But the modification is included in the last beta release, too ( SymbOS 3.0 beta network edition released with new applications ), so just try this. Another beta release is coming soon, which will also be available as ROM again.
Excellent, thanks will try that tonight. Any idea when a rom version will be available? Or.... Once the acmedos rom is released, a pure hdd release perhaps?

CraigsBar

Quote from: TotO on 07:48, 14 September 15
Yes, you need the patched version now.
Yep I do ;) all working just fine. Thanks.

Prodatron

Good to hear that! :)

I am currently finishing the "advanced desktop" for SymbOS (real active desktop widgets, complete icon handling like in Windows, dynamic startmenu with any structure and amount of entries and submenus). It's finished now, a few bugs have to be fixed, and then I make another beta release, which will contain a ROM version, too.

But good point :)
The "raw loader" of SymbOS is exactly that, which you can use with the ACME IDE ROM to boot SymbOS directly from harddisc! :)

The CPC was the only platform where it was necessary to develop some special loaders ("ROM", "fast loader", etc.). The limitations of Amsdos require such things, while all other platforms (MSX, PCW, EP) only need a "raw loader", as their native OS are able to load these very large files directly in a fast way from any kind of device (SD, IDE etc.; PCW at least 80K or so from disc in one piece with CP/M).
So I am looking forward, that the ACME rom will change this for the CPC as well

CraigsBar

Quote from: Prodatron on 22:41, 14 September 15
Good to hear that! :)

I am currently finishing the "advanced desktop" for SymbOS (real active desktop widgets, complete icon handling like in Windows, dynamic startmenu with any structure and amount of entries and submenus). It's finished now, a few bugs have to be fixed, and then I make another beta release, which will contain a ROM version, too.

But good point :)
The "raw loader" of SymbOS is exactly that, which you can use with the ACME IDE ROM to boot SymbOS directly from harddisc! :)

The CPC was the only platform where it was necessary to develop some special loaders ("ROM", "fast loader", etc.). The limitations of Amsdos require such things, while all other platforms (MSX, PCW, EP) only need a "raw loader", as their native OS are able to load these very large files directly in a fast way from any kind of device (SD, IDE etc.; PCW at least 80K or so from disc in one piece with CP/M).
So I am looking forward, that the ACME rom will change this for the CPC as well
Excellent so with a futureOS plus cart, and symbos on HDD, that'll be 7 slots cleaned up on the xmem / symbiface 2. More space for games lol.

7 because future os  and symbos take 4 each, but acmedos will need installing.

TFM

If you use FutureOS on Cartridge then you can leave the X-MEM / SF2 untouched.  :)

About AMSDOS loading: It can load at least 58 KB in one piece. symbos biggest file is 26 KB IIRC. I don't get it.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

majikeyric

Hi,

It's still possible to pre-order hardware at www.centpourcent.net ?

I would be interested in XMas (of course) and other things.

Thanks.

Prodatron

Btw, can someone post the link, where you can download the IDE-Rom of FutureOS?

TotO

Quote from: majikeyric on 22:31, 16 September 15
It's still possible to pre-order hardware at www.centpourcent.net ?
I would be interested in XMas (of course) and other things. Thanks.
Sure. Go to the Store section, select items and check-out.  8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

||C|-|E||

I still have to order my own pack... at least the mother, a X-MEM and a X-MASS...  :-X

CraigsBar

Quote from: Prodatron on 23:31, 16 September 15
Btw, can someone post the link, where you can download the IDE-Rom of FutureOS?
It's not finished yet :( I think we'll see ACMEdos first

TotO

SyX sent to me the ACMEDOS ROM 4 days ago, but I can't test it before Saturday.
I prefert to not release it before, as you can understand.  8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

Quote from: TotO on 08:57, 17 September 15
SyX sent to me the ACMEDOS ROM 4 days ago, but I can't test it before Saturday.
I prefert to not release it before, as you can understand.  8)
I have a blank Dom, I'll test it for you ;)

TotO

Quote from: CraigsBar on 09:15, 17 September 15I have a blank Dom, I'll test it for you ;)
It need to be converted to FAT16 actually. The tool to do that is not ready, so I have to test myself if you can't format it.

CraigsBar

Oops. I need to resolve that sooner rather than later lol.

TotO

The idea is to be able to init the DOM from the CPC. So, it is not required that you solve yourself this "problem".  8)

CraigsBar

I get that, but with the formatter some way off yet, the arrival of AcmeDOS this weekend (hopefully but we've heard that before) makes it a problem :| does anyone have experience with 44 pin gender changers? Are they really just straight through pins?

protek

They should be straight throug as you can change the gender with an IDE pin header. Keep in mind though, that the pin order in the DOM is mirrored compared to an ordinary hard disk as it is meant to be connected directly to the IDE  header of the motherboard.

CraigsBar

Quote from: protek on 11:15, 17 September 15
They should be straight throug as you can change the gender with an IDE pin header. Keep in mind though, that the pin order in the DOM is mirrored compared to an ordinary hard disk as it is meant to be connected directly to the IDE  header of the motherboard.
Meaning? Which pins need swapping over?

protek

Check out this page: Upgrading an IBM L40SX to an SSD

I got the DOM communicating with my PC by flipping it upside down. However, none of the hard disk tools I tried on PC could create a FAT16 partition on the DOM that would see eye to eye with for example the SymbOS mass storage utility.

TotO

Yes, pins are swapped up/down if you don't use a ribbon cable with pins on each side.
I have no problem to format with FAT16 (I does that many times). By the way, formating from the CPC will solve the problems.

Kris

Hope you'll be able to perform test asap :D

majikeyric

Quote from: TotO on 06:44, 17 September 15
Sure. Go to the Store section, select items and check-out.  8)

order passed :D

TotO