News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

OK... Windows XP does...  :-\

The X-MASS was not designed to be a removable storage.
But I can understand that is more easy to fill it, at less the first time.

I'll see with SyX if we can handle the MBR without wasting the CPC RAM.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Audronic

I don't know if this helps.

How to format on a PC FAT16

run "" compmgmnt.msc ""

http://www.dizzy.co.za/sdhc_fat16.asp

This will allow you to work on the Unpartitioned Partition.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

SOS

Quote from: TotO on 14:37, 26 May 16
OK... Windows XP does...  :-\
Windows what??  :o :D :D

Quote from: TotO on 14:37, 26 May 16
The X-MASS was not designed to be a removable storage.
But I can understand that is more easy to fill it, at less the first time.

I'll see with SyX if we can handle the MBR without wasting the CPC RAM.
It will be helpful, but i think, there must be an error in the format-RSX.
They can't reformat a DOM, which is previously formatted in Windows.

TotO

Quote from: SOS on 14:59, 26 May 16
Windows what??  :o :D :D 
A modern OS (compared to CPC) that not chose for you what to do... ;D
I have tried Windows 8... But, this system "think" OS updates are more important that programming my EPROM and stop the process.  :-\
By the way... Now, Windows 10 is a critical update... So, don't be surprised to discover it when you will switch on your screen! 8)

Quote from: SOS on 14:59, 26 May 16I think there must be an error in the format-RSX.They can't reformat a DOM, which is previously formatted in Windows.
If I'm not wrong, it only write 512 bytes to the DOM. :-X
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 15:04, 26 May 16
A modern OS (compared to CPC) that not chose for you what to do... ;D

Hahaha, good joke. I know at least two OS being more recent and advanced on CPC.  ;D :P :)

Fun at the side... everybody seems to work already with ACMEDOS, did I miss the release during my holidays?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Yes...  :o

The link is on the first page.

merlinkv

Same problem here .....

Firmware 3.16 / No RAM Drive
ACMEDOS 0.6.1b

I can format the DoM (the original 128MB), but nothing more, no CAT, |DIR, .....  :(

I have a couple of DoM's, 2GB each, but X-MASS don't recognize these drives ....

Audronic

@Syx

When can we expect a Working update to AcmeDOS.

Thanks  Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

talrek

i'm a lucky guy. Everything works fine for me  ;D
I have a question though, how to copy all files using only a command. Is it possible, i have to do the |CP,"filename" command file by file...

dirtybb

Quote from: talrek on 20:16, 01 June 16
I have a question though, how to copy all files using only a command. Is it possible, i have to do the |CP,"filename" command file by file...
To copy a batch of files, u can use symbos

talrek

Ok i guess i have to install symbos then ;-)
Also can someone give me the command to change the bit to flash the 3.16 firmware on the 00?

dirtybb

Quote from: talrek on 20:31, 01 June 16
Ok i guess i have to install symbos then ;-)
Also can someone give me the command to change the bit to flash the 3.16 firmware on the 00?
Answer is in the X-Mem thread, look at the 3-4 last posts

talrek

Quote from: dirtybb on 21:07, 01 June 16
Answer is in the X-Mem thread, look at the 3-4 last posts

Ok really thank you didn't see the thread? So |FLASH,"FW316FR32.ROM", 71  should do it ;-)
Even if i don't understand why 71 ?

angelcaio

" The ROM 7 is not altered by the X-MEM device. The Firmware is used instead.
You must set the bit6 to 1 for writing the Lower ROM (&47) and ROM 0 (&40)."

71 (47H) = &X1000111 , that is, 1 at LEFT ( bit 6) plus 7 ( &X111 ) for Lower ROM

I presume...

TotO

Exactly. To update the X-MEM BASIC and FW, use the address: &40 + physical ROM slot.
This tips allow to program the X-MEM ROM0 (BASIC) and ROM7 (FW) without conflicting with the CPC BASIC and AMSDOS.

Audronic

Quote from: talrek on 20:16, 01 June 16
Hi talrek

""" i'm a lucky guy. Everything works fine for me  ""

X-Mass :-

Are you using the French Roms in your machine ?
What machine are you using 464 / 464+, 6128 /6128 +  ??
Do you have a spare machine that you could try the English roms ? and the X-Mass. to see if it will be faulty with the English roms ?.

Update :- Cancel the request Please,

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

TotO

Hi Ray,

What about your X-MASS today?
I have asked if you require something more before sending your parcel and you said me that is ok.
Can I understand that all is working for you now?

Thanks,

TotO.

Audronic

@Tot0

No its still not working and i have had a look back about 7 pages in this forum and there are 8 (Eight) people that are having similar problems with Acmedos 6.1b
Today i used a replacement ROM Board (Wilco2009) with 0 (zero) memory added to try and prove that it was or was not a problem with the X-Mem, Interacting with X-Mass
And even then AcmeDOs does Not Work !.
I used only 1 Rom AcmeDOS 6.1b nothing else (apart from 0 and 7 inside the CPC6128).
I thought it may have been a Language problem (French Roms / Spanish Roms - English roms ) but i don't believe that it is.

More than Mildly Frustrated, as we have been waiting over 12 Months for this Rom.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

TotO

OK. So, I'm going to send you a new X-MASS formated with AcmeDOS and tested working on two CPC using X-MEM too.

Audronic

@Tot0

Ok Thanks.
This will be the Second complete X-Mass including DOM that you will have sent me.
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

arnoldemu

Quote from: Audronic on 09:13, 03 June 16
@Tot0

No its still not working and i have had a look back about 7 pages in this forum and there are 8 (Eight) people that are having similar problems with Acmedos 6.1b
Today i used a replacement ROM Board (Wilco2009) with 0 (zero) memory added to try and prove that it was or was not a problem with the X-Mem, Interacting with X-Mass
And even then AcmeDOs does Not Work !.
I used only 1 Rom AcmeDOS 6.1b nothing else (apart from 0 and 7 inside the CPC6128).
I thought it may have been a Language problem (French Roms / Spanish Roms - English roms ) but i don't believe that it is.

More than Mildly Frustrated, as we have been waiting over 12 Months for this Rom.

Ray
Sounds like a test program is needed to identify the problems. It does sound a bit like the DOM or perhaps a power problem?

I had a load of problems with my X-MASS until i realised the problem was with the power to the CPC. :(

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: Audronic on 09:25, 03 June 16
@Tot0

Ok Thanks.
This will be the Second complete X-Mass including DOM that you will have sent me.
Ray
I will try and find some time to make a test program which I hope you will run on your X-MASS that are not working.
Maybe this can help SyX to resolve the problems in Acmedos.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TotO

Actually, the "problem" is that SyX can't take a look before finishing his faculty tests. So, we have to wait July.
Now, I can only resent full X-MASS or DOM tested formated with AcmeDOS to see if it is OK for everyone.

Audronic

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:27, 03 June 16
Sounds like a test program is needed to identify the problems. It does sound a bit like the DOM or perhaps a power problem?

I had a load of problems with my X-MASS until i realised the problem was with the power to the CPC. :(

Ok lets do one at a time.
I have a PC Power Supply 6 Amp Capability that both feeds the 6128 and also feeds the MotherX4 ( The same supply with 2 leads )
Both go through their respective Diodes One Via the 6128  The other plugged into the MotherX4 and feed the Boards on the MotherX4 with 4.3 volts..
I have tried 5 different 128 Meg Doms , 2 from Tot0 and 3 of mine. Plus some 2 Gig Doms.
I have worked in Electronic Maintenance for too long (40 Plus Years ). So I have a Reasonable grasp on Fault finding, I am NOT a programmer but a Techo.

Thanks     Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:29, 03 June 16
I will try and find some time to make a test program which I hope you will run on your X-MASS that are not working.
Maybe this can help SyX to resolve the problems in Acmedos.
Hi arnoldemu.

If you can do that it will be of some help.
I have used " Impdos16" to look at the Sectors that are placed on the Dom By the |Format Command of AcmeDOS at Track 0, Sector 0 and it looks very OK to a Non Programmers eyes.
I don't know where the Directory Starts on the Dom. Or where the First Storage sector is ?

Thanks    Ray.
Procrastinators Unite,