News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Quote from: Audronic on 10:49, 03 June 16

Ok lets do one at a time.
I have a PC Power Supply 6 Amp Capability that both feeds the 6128 and also feeds the MotherX4 ( The same supply with 2 leads )
Both go through their respective Diodes One Via the 6128  The other plugged into the MotherX4 and feed the Boards on the MotherX4 with 4.3 volts..
I have tried 5 different 128 Meg Doms , 2 from Tot0 and 3 of mine. Plus some 2 Gig Doms.
I have worked in Electronic Maintenance for too long (40 Plus Years ). So I have a Reasonable grasp on Fault finding, I am NOT a programmer but a Techo.

Thanks     Ray

If you are using the same supply from two sides, then the diodes aren't required. Have you tried bridging the diodes to raise Vcc back up to 5V?

Bryce.

Audronic

@Bryce

No I have not, as Tot0 said earlier the Boards are comfortable to go down even below 4 volts .
I had a look at the Dom Specs and it seems that there are 5 Volt versions and 3.3 Volt versions ?? It was not clear in the info Sheet.
Yes i could look at bridging them out and see what happens.
Tomorrows Project.

Thanks for the thought
Ray   
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

@Bryce

Late Thought :-
I am not having problems using "Impdos" or BonnyDos with the same Power Supply or DOMs ?.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Then cancel tomorrows project, it won't change anything.

Bryce.

TotO

If ImpDOS and bonnyDOS work, it is not related to the hardware.
Have you tried to use SymbOS and formating the DOM using the x-mass formater tool?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

OK, so testing with the new Dom....

Exactly the same issue. However at least this time the Dom works in OSX and Windows. So itvlooks like both the Dom and xmass are not playing nice. Sorry @TotO I'll post them back for you to take a look.

Oddly, the only way amsdos (or parados) command work even on a or b drives when the xmass is attached us to remove the Dom. Think I'll just remove the xmass.

Thanks.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Ast

iMPdos use the same way than SymbOs to format the DoM. So Ray can easily use iMPdos to format his x-mass. It's the same thing...

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

HAL6128

Quote from: Audronic on 10:49, 03 June 16
Ok lets do one at a time.
I have a PC Power Supply 6 Amp Capability that both feeds the 6128 and also feeds the MotherX4 ( The same supply with 2 leads )
Both go through their respective Diodes One Via the 6128  The other plugged into the MotherX4 and feed the Boards on the MotherX4 with 4.3 volts..
I have tried 5 different 128 Meg Doms , 2 from Tot0 and 3 of mine. Plus some 2 Gig Doms.
I have worked in Electronic Maintenance for too long (40 Plus Years ). So I have a Reasonable grasp on Fault finding, I am NOT a programmer but a Techo.
...just a question. Do you have the chance to try the X-Mass on different CPCs?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Audronic

Quote from: TotO on 12:36, 03 June 16
If ImpDOS and bonnyDOS work, it is not related to the hardware.
Have you tried to use SymbOS and formating the DOM using the x-mass formater tool?
Hi Tot0

Why would i have to test it with SymbOS when the Problem is to do with AcmeDOS.
I am unclear as to what you are trying to achieve.
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 13:39, 03 June 16
...just a question. Do you have the chance to try the X-Mass on different CPCs?
Hi HAL6128
Yes i have a second 6128 and it also has the same Problem ?
As i mentioned earlier there are 7 Other people that are having problems ?

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

TotO

Quote from: Audronic on 14:01, 03 June 16

Why would i have to test it with SymbOS when the Problem is to do with AcmeDOS.
I am unclear as to what you are trying to achieve.
Peoples that not encounter this problem with the DOM formated by me, got the problem after formating it from a PC.
So, only if you have tried to format with a PC your DOM and the AcmeDOS |FORMAT RSX not solve the problem, you should try to use the SymbOS "x-mass formater" application... (or wait a solution)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Audronic

Quote from: TotO on 14:20, 03 June 16
you should try to use the SymbOS "x-mass formater" application... (or wait a solution)
Hi Tot0

Ok, Thanks I will try that Tomorrow .

Of to bed Now 23:29 Friday over here.
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

@Tot0

Morning.

The tests with Symbos.
Yes I was able to Format the DOM with xmass2.exe.
No i was not able to install the DOM as Drive C.
Re installed Acmedos61b Rom.
Powered down (Unplugged the Power Cord), Powered up issued the command CAT   CRASH ???
Photos Below
Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

@Tot0

Ok, it did not solve the problem.
Is it possible to send me the Program that you use to format the DOM or the method that you used Please.

Thanks     Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Joseman

@Audronic

You have to add the ide device as "not partitioned"!!

Audronic

Quote from: Joseman on 00:09, 04 June 16
@Audronic

You have to add the ide device as "not partitioned"!!
Hi Joseman

I need more information Please, add the IDE Device as " Not Partitioned" Where.

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Joseman

Quote from: Audronic on 00:18, 04 June 16
Hi Joseman

I need more information Please, add the IDE Device as " Not Partitioned" Where.

Thanks   Ray

On symbos!

Audronic

Quote from: Joseman on 00:20, 04 June 16
On symbos!

Ok, Thanks I found it .
and configured it.
Copied 12 Files to the DOM.

Re installed AcmeDOs 61b

Cat    CRASH

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Joseman

Quote from: Audronic on 00:52, 04 June 16

Ok, Thanks I found it .
and configured it.
Copied 12 Files to the DOM.

Re installed AcmeDOs 61b

Cat    CRASH

Ray

Ok, at least the DOM is working, I think that the first step for everyone to test the DOM and the xmass should make it work on symbos...

But remember, no partitioned, because there is no partition on the formated DOM or HDD with the symbos or acmedos utilities, and acmedos doesn't support partitions!!

is weird that acmedos works like a charm on my SF2 and 2.5 HDD and not on xmass...

Audronic

Quote from: Joseman on 01:00, 04 June 16
Ok, at least the DOM is working, I think that the first step for everyone to test the DOM and the xmass should make it work on symbos...

But remember, no partitioned, because there is no partition on the formated DOM or HDD with the symbos or acmedos utilities, and acmedos doesn't support partitions!!

is weird that acmedos works like a charm on my SF2 and 2.5 HDD and not on xmass...

Yes you are correct , i used BonnyDOS and ImpDOS for my tests I can Now add SymBOS to the list that works with The X-Mass Board and a 128 Meg DOM.
I will add you to my list of people that are having problems with X-Mess !.  You are # 9 on the list (The list is Private  only for my records ).

I will have to wait till the end of June by the looks of it Unless Tot0 cam come up  something.
Procrastinators Unite,

Joseman

Quote from: Audronic on 01:19, 04 June 16

I will add you to my list of people that are having problems with X-Mess !.  You are # 9 on the list (The list is Private  only for my records ).

I didn't try xmass with acmedos, symbos or nothing! i like my SF2 a lot and didn't make any try with xmass at the moment.

Audronic

@Joseman

You are now removed from the List.
Thanks for the clarification.
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

TotO

OK. Thank you for testing.
That confirm from you the X-MASS board and format work fine, but AcmeDOS have something wrong to fix.  8)

TotO

Quote from: Audronic on 01:19, 04 June 16I will add you to my list of people that are having problems with X-Mess !.  You are # 9 on the list (The list is Private  only for my records ).
A class action against a free bugged beta program for CPC?  ;D
I have registered 21 peoples reporting a problem over X-MASS 148 users... Only 2 had a defective board and was exchanged. 12 the same as your.

Audronic

Quote from: TotO on 07:56, 04 June 16
A class action against a free bugged beta program for CPC?  ;D
I have registered 21 peoples reporting a problem over X-MASS 148 users... Only 2 had a defective board and was exchanged. 12 the same as your.

Hi Tot0
"" A class action against a free bugged beta program for CPC? ;D
No I was just interested as to who has had problems, and that i was not alone.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,