News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

Quote from: TotO on 07:44, 04 June 16
OK. Thank you for testing.
That confirm from you the X-MASS board and format work fine, but AcmeDOS have something wrong to fix.  8)
Hi Tot0

Ok something to fix.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

TotO

Quote from: Audronic on 08:07, 04 June 16No I was just interested as to who has had problems, and that i was not alone.
Sure, it was a joke. Just let you know that you are not alone and more than 9 peoples.  ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

netmercer

Hi Audronic,

after starting with ACMEDOS your first command should be  |CD,"\" in order to init root directory.
Same thing after a crash with ACMEDOS: You have to use this command before any CAT.
Did you do so?

Kind regards
netmercer

Audronic

Quote from: netmercer on 22:30, 04 June 16
Hi Audronic,
after starting with ACMEDOS your first command should be  |CD,"\" in order to init root directory.
Same thing after a crash with ACMEDOS: You have to use this command before any CAT.
Did you do so?
Kind regards
netmercer
Hi netmercer.
No I did not know that ??
I will power up the 6128 and see what happens.
Thanks (Hopefully)
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

@netmercer 

With the short test that i have done "" IT WORKS "".
Where did you get this info from Please as i have spent a lot of time doing a lot of testing.
Please inform Tot0 and Syx of this.

Very Pleased.

I Will have to sell my Flamethrower and Axe now  :P

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

@Tot0
@Syx
I Missed reading this extract from your readme.md.

I have to Issue the Command   "" |CD,"/"  Before I do a CAT  (Damn)
Thanks to Netmercer for pointing this out to me.

This has now made the X-Mass and Dom work.

I hope the others that have been having problems read this as it may help.

* If you reset the CPC after using a program, you could get a crash when you are using any HD command.
Usually it's because the program corrupted the AcmeDOS variables ram zone, and then AcmeDOS will access to a sector in the HD that it's not part of the FAT.

The fix is easy, only introduce |CD,"\" or |CD,"/" (unix and win users happy!) for going to the root of the drive (nice tip by Bernhard).

Why is not initialised the sector number with every reset? Because when a binary file is executed with RUN"filename, the firmware will initialized the upper roms before giving the control to the program; that means we would lose the active folder and every additional file read/write operation would go to the root, and no multipart or save game would load, for example.

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

Further Thoughts :-

Things to add to AcmeDOS.

After finding out that I had to log on the Hard Drive with |CD,"/" which is a pain.
I have had this thought :- an Additional RSX Command (Perhaps)

|.    Log on Hard Drive
|.CAT Log on Hard Drive and do a CAT

Or something like this, Is this Possible/Workable.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

TotO

I will not remember that at all, and I'm waiting SyX back...  :picard2: :picard2: :picard2:
Now, I have just sent an email to SyX, for doing that into the FORMAT command to no more have this issue.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Audronic

@Tot0  @Syx

Sorry i Missed the Command in the Readme.md, CD,"/"

Thanks for being patient.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 13:16, 03 June 16
OK, so testing with the new Dom....

Exactly the same issue. However at least this time the Dom works in OSX and Windows. So itvlooks like both the Dom and xmass are not playing nice. Sorry @TotO I'll post them back for you to take a look.

Oddly, the only way amsdos (or parados) command work even on a or b drives when the xmass is attached us to remove the Dom. Think I'll just remove the xmass.

Thanks.

OK, so the 2nd DOM has now failled to be recognised in Windows and OSX as well. Looks like this xmass might have become a mutant DOM Killer. I'll post all of it (2 DOMS and the X-Mass) to you @TotO if they will help you troubleshoot?

Edit: So very glad I dod not try my Amiga 600 16gb DOM in this, I'd be gutted if that had failed in the same way.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Audronic

@craigsbar
Your Windows box are you running XP.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

CraigsBar

Yep. XP. The new 256mb Dom worked fine on it until it was placed in the xmass. Now it does not initialize on the xp box anymore :) my last dom (128mb but at 90 degree so won't fit the xmass works fine in xp, as did the 256mb one before.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Audronic

@craigsbar

Below are from my notes :-

How to format on a PC FAT16
If you    run "" compmgmnt.msc ""
On XP you should be able to see the DOM
or Go to the web site below and have alook

http://www.dizzy.co.za/sdhc_fat16.asp

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Token

I'm lacking of time to make more tests but |CD,"\" fixed the problem here (with the stock DOM) so thanks, earn a like ;)

Audronic

Hi All

A New Version of AcmeDOS v0.6.2B Is available.

GitHub - realmml/X-Mass-ROM: A FAT filesystem rom for the X-Mass expansion for

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

@Syx
@Tot0

Thanks for the New Version of AcmeDOS v0.6.2b

With the small amount of testing that i have done its working well.
Thanks for logging on the Hard drive at Power up.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

TotO

Not fully fixed for everyone. Look that |CD,"/" must be done each time the CPC is turned on... :(

Joseman

Quote from: TotO on 14:20, 06 June 16
Not fully fixed for everyone. Look that |CD,"/" must be done each time the CPC is turned on... :(

not with the SF2! it works correctly without doing this, this is why it worked from the start for me and not for others  :laugh:

TotO

The problem is not related to the interface...
Some, like me, don't have this problem at all. Others, only require to do one time this. Others, at every boot.

Audronic

@Tot0

"""  The problem is not related to the interface...
      Some, like me, don't have this problem at all. Others, only require to do one time this. Others, at every boot. """

My Machines here all have CRTC0 (6128),  I was wondering if this is the same as yours.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

TotO

I have tested with 4 differents DOM on two CPC (CRTC 0, 1) and it always work.
As all run fine using SymbOS or BonyDOS, the issue is presumably software related.
From my side, the only thing I can do is testing/exchanging problematic boards for a new one.  :-\

Audronic

@Tot0

Ok Thanks then its not CRTC(X) Problem

I am happy  >:(  --   ;D to type in the Commands as this is the second board.

Thanks Again  Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

talrek

Quote from: TotO on 07:09, 07 June 16
I have tested with 4 differents DOM on two CPC (CRTC 0, 1) and it always work.
As all run fine using SymbOS or BonyDOS, the issue is presumably software related.
From my side, the only thing I can do is testing/exchanging problematic boards for a new one.  :-\

I don't understand why you should do that since it is software related... the readme file is explicit with the |CD,"/" command, so it is i think 1000% software :) Or a dual-bug ? something in the hardware causing a software bug ? a CPConspiracy ???:o

TotO

Quote from: talrek on 07:35, 07 June 16I don't understand why you should do that since it is software related... the readme file is explicit with the |CD,"/" command, so it is i think 1000% software :) Or a dual-bug ? something in the hardware causing a software bug ? a CPConspiracy ???:o
Because while the problem is not fixed for everyone, may be some alternative configurations should allow to get around.

Audronic

@Tot0 

I had some time today and scratched out :-
Just some thoughts :-

Would it be possible to add these extra commands for AcmeDOS

After Power UP, When you sent the following command :-

|D           this would Log on the Hard drive.
|HD          this would Log on the Hard drive.
|Drive,"D"   this would Log on the Hard drive.

Or add an Error message, Rather than Crashing after doing a CAT at Startup.

Or on a 6128 Use the other bank or another memory location to store the Hard Drive Data that now gets erased.

Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,