News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Joseman

As I said on a previous post...

In the absence of official information, and keep in mind that this can be (partially) wrong:

*Actual disc in use same than AMDOS : RAM direction (#A700)

#A700= #00 --> drive A
          #A700= #01 --> drive B
          #A700= #03 --> drive D (mass storage)

*RAM direction were the complete  directory path is stored: #BEA6

for example:
         #BEA6 = #00 --> root dir (d:\)
          #BEA6 = #02 --> d:\symbos
          #BEA6 = #03 --> d:\juegos
         #BEA6 = #A8 --> d:\juegos\marauder

seems to me some kind of calculation of the dir entries of the fat16 disc...

*Buffer that uses ACMEDOS and that need to be restored if it's erased by some routine: [THIS IS TOTALLY BY GUESS AND PROBABLY INCORRECT]

#BE70 - #BEA6

This is totally tested by load acmedos  in a cold reboot --> go to a directory --> save the drive number --> save the ACMEDOS buffer --> erase the entire firmware and ACMEDOS buffer -->  reenable the firmware --> reload amsdos rom and acmedos rom --> restore the direction #BE70 - #BEA6, and (of course) the #A700 direction with #3.

The program / game will load from hdd correctly...

I think that only saving #A700 & #BEA6 & #BEA7 doesn't work

TotO

&BEA7 if used too. Probably better to save up to &BEAF.

&A700 is only an AMSDOS valid address if you do not use too much ROM into the CPC memory space.  ;)
To know the real entry point, you have to read the &BE7D and &BE7E bytes.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Joseman

Quote from: TotO on 13:57, 08 June 16
&A700 is only an AMSDOS valid address if you do not use too much ROM into the CPC memory space.  ;)
To know the real entry point, you have to read the &BE7D and &bE7E bytes.

Yes i know, my loader acts this way, but no, in my game it doesn't work  >:(

There must be some variables related to this problem... not Acmedos necessarily... some firmware variables... some pointer... mmmm

SOS

Deleted

TotO

Here an alternative version looking to fix the root entry bug at boot.
Peoples getting this issue don't more require to do |CD,"/" before a CAT.
Please, use at your own risk!  ;D

[attachurl=2]
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Joseman

Quote from: TotO on 14:55, 08 June 16
Here an alternative version looking to work.
Please, use at your own risk!  ;D

What this version fix?

The |cd,"/"?

tonight i'll try...

TotO

Yes. No more required to do it at boot for peoples having this issue.

TFM

Quote from: Joseman on 00:02, 08 June 16
The game is already loaded, all the ram used and overwritten. the loader is pure asm that change the original game loader.

If everything is overwritten (including AMSDOS/ACMEDOS system RAM), then I don't see a way to load from DOM/HD except you make your own routines.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Joseman

Quote from: TFM on 15:25, 08 June 16

If everything is overwritten (including AMSDOS/ACMEDOS system RAM), then I don't see a way to load from DOM/HD except you make your own routines.

I mean that the game overwrites all the ram, but i restore the firmware, and the roms... and then i restore the acmedos variables to the last path used...

but the call #BC77 returns error loading the file... the HDD led blinks... but no way, the call #bc77 returns error...

the thing is that with a loader isolated the same process works... but with the game not!...

the difference is that with the loader isolated, i overwrite the firmware and amsdos ram all with "#00", and in the game i don't do this step because the firmware is already overwrited... This is why I suspect on some system variable with random values...

P.S. Is there any ultra tested code to restore correctly the firmware and amsdos? perhaps i'm doing something wrong...

Audronic

Quote from: TotO on 11:49, 08 June 16
Thank you. 255 everytime? (others with problems reported me 255, 237, 249...)

May be you forget the PRINT previously!  ;D

Update this morning For Print (Peek------
Same as yesterday 255 and then 0 Using Older ROM

Yes i did forget the Print Peek(----)
i was just testing the Peek &xxxx and i keep getting Syntax Error ( now if Syntax error was to do with my TAX then i would not complain).
Ohhh well back to technical things.
Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

Quote from: TotO on 14:55, 08 June 16
Here an alternative version looking to fix the root entry bug at boot.

After installing the Alternative Test ROM, i get the following results at &BeA6/7  Both 0 (Zero) no matter what i do.
I like the Cat defaulting to the Hard drive at PowerUP which works well (with the short testing the i have done).
I have changed Folders, run "Flasher.bas" from a Folder OK etc

Excellent fix.

Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

TotO

Thank you. Fine to know that work for you too.  8)

Audronic

@Tot0

There is a reference to a "File" Commander will this be similar to the one used in SymbOS.
Thanks     Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

SOS

Suggestion for improvement:
Some  >:( of the AMSDOS-RSX seems to return in the Z-Flag, if the RSX is successfully. (Z=1 is error in the |ERA-RSX) - but when execute |REN you can only guess the result.
My test against "|MD" with a new directory and an already existing directory brings me no difference in the F-Register.
Could it improved?  ;)     (|MD,|RD,...)

SOS

Quote from: Audronic on 08:41, 09 June 16
There is a reference to a "File" Commander will this be similar to the one used in SymbOS.
Similar? I dont know.
[attach=2]

Audronic

Quote from: SOS on 08:51, 09 June 16
Similar? I dont know.
[attach=2]
Hi SOS
Is that a file or ROM ?
Is it available.

Thanks     Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

SOS

Quote from: Audronic on 08:59, 09 June 16
Is that a file or ROM ?
Is it available.
It would only be a ROM.
It is not available at the moment.

Kris

SOS

Most of the functions are working without errors (or big errors) in WinApe,
like CD,RD,MD,Copy to/from D, Copy from D to D, Copy marked files.
Not working at the moment is copy one directory (i will only support one Level with this function - not copy directory with an included directory).

Audronic

Quote from: SOS on 09:17, 09 June 16
It would only be a ROM.
It is not available at the moment.
Hi SOS

Ok Thanks.
Should you like it to be tested later, Please add me to the list.

Well done     Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Joseman

Hi

@SOS

Same here, if you need betatesting, here is a SF2 - acmedos user to test it!

CraigsBar

Quote from: Audronic on 14:14, 05 June 16
@craigsbar

Below are from my notes :-

How to format on a PC FAT16
If you    run "" compmgmnt.msc ""
On XP you should be able to see the DOM
or Go to the web site below and have alook

http://www.dizzy.co.za/sdhc_fat16.asp

Ray

Yeah, that's great, but as i said, neither of these DOM's now work at all under windows. They are recognised as a 128 (or 256) mb drive in device manager, but they are not ever shown in the drive manager to select them to format them.

I am completely disillusioned with the xmass at this stage. I'm going to post the lot back to @TotO when I get a chance in the hope that he can very that I am not going mad (always a possibility) and make it work for me ;)
Other than that I hope to see the m4 and albiero boards get fat drivers sooner rather than later ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

robcfg

M4 is already FAT32 capable, just format and SD card on your PC/Mac/Whatever and off you go!

SOS

Has anyone tried to format the DOM as a "Superfloppy" in a Window 7-System (or newer)?