News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Interestingly also this evening I noticed that my cm14 can successfully power all of the following with no external power needed......

Internal 3inch hxc (no floppy drive), c4cpc, mother 4x with mini booster and Bluetooth module, xmass, xmem, rtc.

Well impressed. Since I removed the symbiface 2 my power requirements are much lower.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Audronic

Quote from: CraigsBar on 01:35, 20 August 16
Go figure! And now it works. No changes, nothing! Damn computers ;)
Craig
I have found that if you Power down completely (Remove power plug from everything for 5 seconds) after you have Flashed the roms that this allows the CPC to be Properly Reset to Power up state.
Good luck     Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

CraigsBar

Hmm. OK it all now seems to work except the hxc clone that still insists on being both A and B drives. However I was playing around with ROMs last night, and I was wondering how feasable it would be to implement a ROM that worked with RSX command the same way as the protext ROM does from the protext command interface, ie the | comma and quotes all become optional. With HDD usage this would help a lot as instead of (for example)

|CD,"games"

you could type the more simple

CD games

Just a thought. Possible or not?

TotO

Sure, just port the MS-DOS shell...  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

Quote from: TotO on 20:24, 20 August 16
Sure, just port the MS-DOS shell...  ;D

I was going for the Linux Shell, How about adding |LS ;)

TotO

You should try to see if quickcmd can help you...  ;)
QuickCMD - NoRecess
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

SyX

OK, sorry by the delay, but my laptop loves suicide and when i got a development machine, my semester started. But well, i stole some time for finishing it and the version v0.79B can be found in the project github.

News:
* We support read/write byte functions in an amsdos compatible way, that means madram's trick for faster loading/saving of "unlimited" (for CPC limits) size files is working. And i have used them in |CPH.

* |CPH is less hackish than before (but not good enough for not asking to be replaced by a nice file manager tool ;) ), that means is not destroying all your ram and you can use now for making simply HD installers. An small example for installing pacman:
10 |D:|MD,"PACMAN":|CD,"PACMAN":REM Make destination folder
20 |A:CAT:REM The pacman floppy is in the drive A
30 |CPH,"PACMAN.BIN":|CPH,"PACMAN.6E":|CPH,"PACMAN.6F":|CPH,"PACMAN.6H":|CPH,"PACMAN.6J":REM Copy files
40 PRINT "PAC-MAN Emulator was installed in your X-MASS!"

And that is all, there are a few minor fixes and some cleaning.

I wanted to add a disk dump RSX or porting a few file manipulation tools or that msx unzip... but my CPC time window is already closed until the end of the year.

In short, if not too catastrophic bugs are found in this version during the next weeks, we will declare this version as stable... and at last, i will able to return to my other CPC projects :P

Audronic

@SyX
@SOS

Hi SyX / Bernd

Some bad news . Syx has updated X-mass Rom
Acmedos ( X-Mass-079B ).
Yancc  now displays NOTHING for Drive D

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

SOS

Quote from: Audronic on 00:36, 21 August 16
Yancc  now displays NOTHING for Drive D
:o

No big problem, SyX moved |UDIR from BEA3 to BE9A. :)

I will fix that after my holiday....

HAL6128

Hi Syx,

I made a small test in Basic with the openout command and found following situation (differences in write#9 and print#9):

10 openout"test"
20 write#9,"hello world"
30 closeout

...works fine!

10 openout"test"
20 print#9,"hello world"
30 closeout

...the CPC crashes, but file was correctly written before!

HAL6128
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

TFM

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 15:34, 25 August 16
...the CPC crashes, but file was correctly written before!

Have you had any other ROMs activated? Which? At which positions? (That makes debugging more easy).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

HAL6128

Sure, I have
FW3.16 in ROM1,
ACMEDOS in ROM2,
ORGAMS in ROM10-12 and
AKSROM in ROM14.

TFM

Ok, SyX can now reproduce the environment and try to reproduce the problem.
Meanwhile you can try to switch all ROMs off (park them) and see it the problem is still there. If not, try only to switch aksrom off. Good hunting!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

HAL6128

Just realized another topic:
With the new version 0.79 I'm not able to run some files anymore.
E.g.:
SymbOS RAW version: There's a error message when loading the BASIC file "sym.bas" => "line too long"
or
TASWORD6128 shows me a syntax error in line 160 where no is.

if I switch back to version 0.73 then SymbOS and TASWORD will be loading again.

CraigsBar

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 19:05, 03 September 16
E.g.:
SymbOS RAW version: There's a error message when loading the BASIC file "sym.bas" => "line too long"
or

I am using the symbos 3.0 beta with 0.79 just fine.

SOS

Summary of some errors, maybe prevouisly reported:
(A) AMSDOS-CAS_OUT_OPEN allowed to manipulate the Fileheader after the CAS_OUT_DIRECT - in ACMEDOS it's not possible.
(B) After CAS_IN_OPEN can not be called a CAS_OUT_OPEN, e.g. change of the two calls in the CPH-Program should not work.
      => A simple file-copy based on 1st. CAS_IN_OPEN then CAS_OUT_OPEN, CAS_IN_CHAR (e.g. &4000 Bytes), CAS_OUT_CHAR & Close both streams works on AMSDOS, not on ACMEDOS.
(C) Directory Corruption ("Dead Directory", you see it but can't use it) after Make-Dir (separate E-Mail with reproduction case send previously)
(D) Is planned to build EDPB (a890) + DPH (a910) in the CAS_IN_OPEN-Process, so that "CAT" is not necessary before |CPH / CAS_IN_OPEN on a floppy?

HAL6128

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:01, 03 September 16
I am using the symbos 3.0 beta with 0.79 just fine.
I am also using this raw version, but I have to say that I copied that file on x-mass with 0.73 and switched then on 0.79.

zhulien

Quote from: xesrjb on 17:03, 17 August 16
This is my startscreen
[attach=4]
xesrjb

If i can put a Spartan FGPA in the CPC, then CPC will have Romans and a Spartan...

TotO

Quote from: zhulien on 08:40, 09 September 16If i can put a Spartan FGPA in the CPC..
Else, you should put a CPC into the Spartan FPGA...  :-\ ;D

Audronic

E.g.:
or

Perhaps try the xmass0.7.9P that SOS provided  Here:-
Yet Another Norton-Commander Clone

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

SOS

Quote from: Audronic on 09:32, 09 September 16
Perhaps try the xmass0.7.9P that SOS provided  Here:-
The patched-version has the only difference, that it introduce again the CPH-workaround.
You don't have differences on programs which not need(!!!) the CPH-workaround.
All programs written before the first XMASS-release can't be need them. YANCC is (as I know) the only Amstrad-Program who needs the workaround.

SOS

I can't reproduce that with the 0.79.
It runs from floppy + from the DOM without a problem.
The Version I used: Tasword 6128 - CPCWiki

Audronic

Quote from: SOS on 09:38, 09 September 16
The patched-version has the only difference, that it introduce again the CPH-workaround.
You don't have differences on programs which not need(!!!) the CPH-workaround.
All programs written before the first XMASS-release can't be need them. YANCC is (as I know) the only Amstrad-Program who needs the workaround.

@SOS I thought it might be worth a try to see if it resolved the problems.
Thanks for the feedback    Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

HAL6128

Quote from: SOS on 11:03, 09 September 16
I can't reproduce that with the 0.79.
It runs from floppy + from the DOM without a problem.
The Version I used: Tasword 6128 - CPCWiki
Thanks. I will Check my Hardware.

HAL6128

Ok, I found that my hardware works correct. I had to copy all the files with the new ROM version again to the X-Mass. Now it works. Interesting is that the old (now *.bak) files don't work.