News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Jungsi

With the great release of the SymbOS 3 Preview I'am asking myself how to transfer the really big amount of data the easiest way to the X-Mass?
Maybe a silly question ;-)

Prodatron

Do you have an HxC connected to your CPC?
Best way to copy large files to the DOM of the X-MASS on your CPC is probably to use the direct SD card access mode of the HxC in SymbOS.
Put all files directly onto the FAT32 SD card of the HxC, add the SD card as a new drive (floppy disc -> HxC SD card at A/B). Then you can access the SD card of the HxC directly in SymbOS and copy any stuff to the X-MASS DOM.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

SOS

Bug found:

org &a300
ld b,10
ld hl,filename
ld de,&c000

call &BC77
push hl
pop ix
ld e,(ix+26)
ld d,(ix+27)
push de
ld l,(ix+21)
ld h,(ix+22)
.next_byte
call &bc80
jr c,not_eof
cp &f
jp z,&bc7a
.not_eof
ld (hl),a
inc hl
jr next_byte
.filename defm "zorro3.bin"

The code runs on AMSDOS and not on the latest ACMEDOS, when the file copied to "D:"
The EOF-Handling of CAS_IN_CHAR seems not to be correct.

SyX

Hi! :)

TotO told me about a new bug in the thread, but I will be buried in the faculty for a few weeks more, my thesis presentation is in two weeks and after that are the final tests ... and only after all that I will free for looking for this bug and the SD support for the future CPC core for that famous Spanish fpga project... but until then I will continue CPC out ;)

SyX

I am going to be beaten, i should be getting ready for a family's wedding, instead of looking this, but when i see assembly after months of functional programming, the mind can not stop...

OK, i think that your example is wrong, specially this:
.next_byte
    call &bc80
    jr c,not_eof
    cp &f
    jp z,&bc7a

If you look in the firmware guide, you can see that when CAS_IN_CHAR reach EOF, it will return Carry false, Zero false and A is corrupt.

Well, in reality the value that the accumulator has is $1F (Amsdos EOF char), but that it's not important, because the correct way of testing for EOF reached it should be:
.next_byte
    call &bc80
    jr c,not_eof
    jp nz,&bc7a ; EOF reached
    ; user_cancel_operation (press ESC key)

Or if you want to test explicitly for the Amsdos EOF char:
.next_byte
    call &bc80
    jr c,not_eof
    cp &1F
    jp z,&bc7a ; EOF reached

SOS

Quote from: SyX on 17:34, 12 November 16
I am going to be beaten, i should be getting ready for a family's wedding, instead of looking this, but when i see assembly after months of functional programming, the mind can not stop...
You are an ASM-holic !!  :o  :D

Oh oh, guilty , i hope i become no trouble with your family members  :blank:

(it's like me in the 80's, i drive a friend of me crazy - "When will you be ready? Only 10 minutes of ASM-programming- only 10 minutes, please wait"
after 30 minutes "hey you're not ready? One new problem occured, i needed only a short time"
after 40 minutes "What, when you finished? (nothing)"
after 15 minutes, ....
after 20 minutes, ....
:D :D :D :D

OK, i think that your example is wrong, specially this:
.next_byte
    call &bc80
    jr c,not_eof
    cp &f
    jp z,&bc7a

If you look in the firmware guide, you can see that when CAS_IN_CHAR reach EOF, it will return Carry false, Zero false and A is corrupt.

No, that's not correct. When I removed the "cp &f" against an "jp &bc7a" the file-loading will too early stop.
When you see
http://k1.spdns.de/Vintage/Schneider%20CPC/Das%20Schneider%20CPC%20Systembuch/z162.htm#N   (sorry german)
or
http://cpctech.cpc-live.com/docs/manual/s968ap13.pdf
So there's an hint for an AMSDOS-bug.
I'm checking this, and my code only run in AMSDOS with exakt this error-handling of CAS_IN_CHAR.

Well, in reality the value that the accumulator has is $1F (Amsdos EOF char), but that it's not important, because the correct way of testing for EOF reached it should be:
.next_byte
    call &bc80
    jr c,not_eof
    jp nz,&bc7a ; EOF reached

No.
The loading stops at address &05D5 (the file has a length of &9940).

Or if you want to test explicitly for the Amsdos EOF char:
.next_byte
    call &bc80
    jr c,not_eof
    cp &1F
    jp z,&bc7a ; EOF reached

No 2.
The loading doesnt stops. The file is correctly loaded from &200 to &9b40, but it goes loading over &9b40 and writes &0f and &0f and &0f .... until the loader at &a300 is overwritten.

I know that you're super-busy at the moment. I sent this bug, at the moment i recognize it.
For me it's not a problem (at the moment).

Edit 13.11.: Added Zorro3.bin as an attachment (if required)

Bryce

Is it by any chance YOUR wedding? :D

Bryce.

Audronic

Topic  X-Mass

Merry X-Mass to all.

Ps :-  How is the X-Mass Rom going ? an update soon.

Seasons Greetings to All

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

@SyX
In the next Acmedos update.
Would it be possible to add an answer to the |FORMAT command so you can choose to continue to format or Exit Please, as at the moment it is sudden death to the data on the DOM.
Thanks     Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Joseman

Quote from: SOS on 17:16, 09 January 17
Ok , we are OT here, so we should please go to the XMASS-Thread, or PM
[ot]
After the following program, loading a game with BASIC is no Problem:

org &4000
di
ld hl,&8000
ld de,&c000
ld bc,&3fff
ldir
ld hl,&8000
ld (hl),&CC
ld de,&8001
ld bc,&3ffe
ldir
ld de,&8000
ld hl,&c000
ld bc,&3fff
ldir
ei
ret
[/ot]

@SOS yes, i know too, i achieve to destroy the firmware, reactivate it and load a image with ACMEDOS with a simple program like yours... (there is several examples on internet that works with Xmass/Bonny dos...

the problem is that the same code on my version of U.N.Squadron, doesn't work, i tried hours and different aproachs, but nothing, never worked

the code alone... works, the same code between the code of U.N.Squadron don't  :(

this is why i told @Duke to send the version...

SOS

have you a code-example (could be bigger if you want), which i can test?

Joseman

Quote from: SOS on 19:54, 09 January 17
have you a code-example (could be bigger if you want), which i can test?

Yes, i'm thinking on release the version and the source code that i used, there is no sense to hide the version if it don't work correctly

Give me little time, and i will do it

merlinkv

Hi.

Is the ACMEDOS V0.9.0P ready to download?

zhulien

Does the format command of x-mass detect the DOM size?  If not, if the DOM is formatted on a PC, will acmedos be happy with all the non-format commands?

SOS

Quote from: zhulien on 14:24, 21 January 17
Does the format command of x-mass detect the DOM size?  If not, if the DOM is formatted on a PC, will acmedos be happy with all the non-format commands?
The X-MASS detect 128MB, no more, no less.
No one has a reproducable szenario, how can the DOM handled, that you can copy games to the DOM via PC and ACMEDOS can start the games.

zhulien

Quote from: SOS on 15:40, 21 January 17
No one has a reproducable szenario, how can the DOM handled, that you can copy games to the DOM via PC and ACMEDOS can start the games.

yes, that has been unconfirmed.  ToTo has mentioned to me that it is compatible with 8bit addressing mode and Symbiface.  Given Symbiface works fine with larger DOMs, then... X-Mass should too.  I guess, I will try with Symbos, and if confirmed... hopefully you will not restrict it to 128MB (assuming you mean that)...

SOS

Ok, not correct written, X-MASS is the Hardware - ACMEDOS detect only 128MB,

xesrjb

This is my only question, too...

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

netmercer

Quote from: xesrjb on 07:35, 22 January 17

This is my only question, too...

xesrjb

Hi,
because I own a lot of CF cards, I'm using them together with a IDE to CF adapter on my XMASS.
First you have to format them with ACMEDOS, then you are able to fill them with files and programs via WinXP PC and USB to memory card adapter without problems. Why shouldn't it work with the DOM, too? It's the same IDE interface.

Kind regards
netmercer

SOS

Quote from: netmercer on 19:06, 22 January 17
First you have to format them with ACMEDOS, then you are able to fill them with files and programs via WinXP PC and USB to memory card adapter without problems. Why shouldn't it work with the DOM, too? It's the same IDE interface.
Which ACMEDOS-Version do you use for formatting?
(Yes, I have tried that before (with the original DOM), but neither WinXP or Linux Mint can recognize the DOM)

netmercer

Quote from: SOS on 19:37, 22 January 17
Which ACMEDOS-Version do you use for formatting?
(Yes, I have tried that before (with the original DOM), but neither WinXP or Linux Mint can recognize the DOM)

Hi,
I'm using ACMEDOS 0.8.0B for formatting and all...

Kind regards
netmercer

Audronic

@netmercer

The DOM is Formatted BUT Not Partitioned.
Therefore it is not recognised by Windows or Mac. as They require the drive to be PARTITIONED.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

SOS

I think, they have done something special (with netmercer, i know three users, which succeed the datatransfer Windows/Linux -> ACMEDOS-formatted DOM),
like e.g. special prepared DOM (pre-partitioned in some way?!?!?) or do special things on the WindowsXP-Computer (like drivers), or something else....

Maybe the "USB to memory card adapter" is the special? (what kind of adapter (VendorID/ProductID), how looks the partition table in Windows?)

How looks the first sector?
[attach=2]
(Screenshot taken from the Windows Diskeditor "iBored")

zhulien

Quote from: netmercer on 19:06, 22 January 17
because I own a lot of CF cards, I'm using them together with a IDE to CF adapter on my XMASS.
Kind regards
netmercer

Good idea, I didn't think of that... but so far my largest CF card is 512mb (which is still 4x larger than the 128mb DOM in my x-mass)... do you use 2 adapters  or a single adapter from the x-mass to CF?  I have a single adapter for DOM to IDE so it can work on the PC / Symbiface 2.

zhulien

Quote from: Audronic on 23:25, 22 January 17
@netmercer

The DOM is Formatted BUT Not Partitioned.

Ray

Do you mean partitioned in the proper meaning or the normally used meaning?  A partition is the spliting of the capacity (ie, it is between the logical drives), if the full capacity is used in a single lump, then it isn't partitioned.