News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

Quote from: zhulien on 01:25, 24 January 17

Do you mean partitioned in the proper meaning or the normally used meaning?  A partition is the spliting of the capacity (ie, it is between the logical drives), if the full capacity is used in a single lump, then it isn't partitioned.
As it says :-
The DOM is Formatted BUT Not Partitioned.

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

HAL6128

In "current" Windows / Linux System the Standard of the OS is creating a MBR (Master-Boot-Record) in the first sector which contains a partition table, with at least one Partition in the table defined. After xx Sectors you will find the BS (Boot Sector) which tells you about the file System (FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ...) and the size or starting cluster etc., and that is the Point where the data will be stored (e.g. after 2048 sector you will find the first data cluster / entry)

The DOM is like an "old" harddrive: it only has the BS (no MBR) in the first sector and it is FAT16. So the first data cluster / entry is after 528 sectors or similar...

It's more like a current USB drive but with FAT16 formatted. I think Windows or Linux is able to read it, but doesn't accept such kind of partition structure for a drive and therefore doesn't plug it into the System. Maybe it's possible if you dupe Windows thinking it's a floppy or USB drive.??
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

SOS

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 09:07, 24 January 17
The DOM is like an "old" harddrive: it only has the BS (no MBR) in the first sector and it is FAT16. So the first data cluster / entry is after 528 sectors or similar...
I'm not a Windows-Format-Profi, but maybe here could be the problem.
When you see my screenshot (some posts ago) e.g. you will see the OEM with does not meet the OEM description in e.g.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_of_the_FAT_file_system#Bootsector
Too long and wrong position.

Every 2nd Byte is Zero, but ONLY in Sector 0

It's interesting too see the first sector of the DOM/CF-Card of someone who had success with the attachment to the PC (Windows or Linux)

HAL6128

if every second Byte is zero then something might be wrong during formatting or working (switching to 8-Bit Mode when activating?).

See pictures below. It's from the WinApe Emulator but the IDE harddrive is formatted with ACMEDOS and this is how is should be.

(can't find the picture you mentioned...)

SOS

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 13:23, 24 January 17
if every second Byte is zero then something might be wrong during formatting or working (switching to 8-Bit Mode when activating?).
Strange is, that the DOM is working.
How can i switch to 8-Bit Mode?

arnoldemu

Quote from: SOS on 14:04, 24 January 17
Strange is, that the DOM is working.
How can i switch to 8-Bit Mode?
X-Mass hardware switches DOM to 8-bit mode on boot.

Use "Set features" command (&ef).

;; enable 8-bit transfer
ld bc,&fd0e
ld a,0
out (c),a

ld a,&1
ld bc,&fd09
out (c),a

ld a,&ef
ld bc,&fd0f
out (c),a

;; disable 8-bit transfer
ld bc,&fd0e
ld a,0
out (c),a

ld a,&81
ld bc,&fd09
out (c),a

ld a,&ef
ld bc,&fd0f
out (c),a

Note the specification says this:
"
Devices implementing the CFA feature set shall support 8-bit PIO data transfers.  Devices not implementing the CFA feature set shall not support 8-bit PIO data transfers.  See the CFA specification for more information"

This means in general HDDs will not support 8-bit transfer. DOM and CFA do.

Also enabling 8-bit transfer on Symbiface 2 is not recommended (you can do this but ignore every even byte-it assumes 16-bit data, and the lowest 8 bits will have the data).
And disabling 8-bit transfer on the X-mass is not recommended (you get half the data because the interface assumes 8-bit transfer and doesn't convert 16-bit data into two bytes).

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 13:23, 24 January 17

See pictures below. It's from the WinApe Emulator but the IDE harddrive is formatted with ACMEDOS and this is how is should be.

(can't find the picture you mentioned...)
I think the x-mass will reset if the power is not good to it and it can't switch to 8-bit mode.

If every second byte is zero, then it sounds like it is in 16-bit mode and X-mass thinks it is in 8-bit mode.

The other possibility is it's in 8-bit mode and windows ignored that and assumed it was 16-bit??
My games. My Games

SOS

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:45, 24 January 17
I think the x-mass will reset if the power is not good to it and it can't switch to 8-bit mode.

If every second byte is zero, then it sounds like it is in 16-bit mode and X-mass thinks it is in 8-bit mode.

The other possibility is it's in 8-bit mode and windows ignored that and assumed it was 16-bit??
Thnx! I will test it next Weekend  :)

Probably, the CPC-Side is the source of the problem (or the IDE2DOM-Adapter, but some user use this with success):
Neiter WindowsXP nor LinuxMint can handle the Partition.

arnoldemu

Quote from: SOS on 14:50, 24 January 17
Thnx! I will test it next Weekend  :)

Probably, the CPC-Side is the source of the problem (or the IDE2DOM-Adapter, but some user use this with success):
Neiter WindowsXP nor LinuxMint can handle the Partition.
is there a recommended ide2dom adaptor?
or a usb->dom and preferably one that works on linux.
My games. My Games

SOS

Quote from: SOS on 15:40, 21 January 17
No one has a reproducable szenario, how can the DOM handled, that you can copy games to the DOM via PC and ACMEDOS can start the games.
I hope, i've got it  :D
ACMEDOS 0.8 makes nonsense to LBA-Sector 0, when formatting the DOM.
For whatever reason it writes 8 Bit values to 16 Bit addresses  :-X
=> can see in a windows-diskeditor, the OEM-Name is "A C M E    D O S"
When i format the DOM with ACMEDOS 0.6 the Format is ok.
=> in a windows-diskeditor, the OEM-Name is "ACME  DOS"
I have the same correct effect, when i use "arnoldemu"s switching-to-8Bit-Modus-code and use the ACMEDOS 0.8-Format.

The correct formated DOM was directly detected from my Linux Mint-Live-CD without a problem, so the copy of files are possible.
With Windows XP/8.1 i have no success to mount the DOM as a superfloppy.

Now I'm searching for a batch DSK-Extractor  :D

HAL6128

please try to copy files from Linux to the DOM. I had the same progress but the copied files weren't recognized by ACMEDOS. let me know what you reach.

SOS

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 18:34, 29 January 17
please try to copy files from Linux to the DOM. I had the same progress but the copied files weren't recognized by ACMEDOS. let me know what you reach.
On my Windows 8.1.PC:
- Fast-Format 4GB-USB-Stick via. Windows (FAT32)
- Double-Clicks on following DSK's:
    * Monty On The Run (UK) (1986)
    * Moon Buggy & Super Ski (F)
    * Nonterraqueous (UK) (1985)
    * Shockway Rider (UK) (1986)
  WinApe opens and open the disk with "Edit Disk"-Function in Winape
  Copy&Paste all files to the C:\Directory of my PC in separate directories (orignaldirectory-names "Monty On The Run (UK) (1986)", "Moon...",...)
- After that, copy all directories with the windows-explorer to the USB-Stick Root.

On CPC:
Using Acmedos 0.8.
Open Maxam and compile arnoldemu's "Enable 8 Bit Transfer"-Programm
Start it from Maxam & format the DOM directly from Maxam.

On my Windows 8.1.PC:
Check it with a Disceditor, if the LBA 0 is correct (OEM-Name is "ACME DOS")

On my 2nd PC:
Start a Linux-Mint Live CD and plug in the USB-Stick & the IDE&USB-Adapter.
I can see both drives. Open it with the LinuxMint Explorer.
Mark the USB-Stick directories, right mouse-key + copy.
Paste to the DOM and eject the DOM.

On CPC:
Plug in the DOM, and test all of the games.
All recognized, all are functional.

I'm using the following hardware
- EDC 4000: 128 MB DOM 
- http://www.ebay.de/itm/221859677433
2-5-034-3-5-034-zu-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-Festplatten-USB-2-0-Konverter-Adapter-Kabel-9859

- Delock IDE-Adapter

xesrjb

So, I fixed it. I removed the DOM's and add a 44pin CF Card Adapter. 2 of my CF Cards were detected. I can format them und ACME 0.6 (128mb). These formatted CF are detected on my WinXP Sytem an I can copy all my Software directly to the CF (folders too).

http://www.ebay.de/itm/292013080277?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Great...

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

Audronic

@xesrjb

Please post a Photo of it connected to the Mother4X
What size CF card did you use.?

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

xesrjb

A 8GB and a 4GB, but only 128MB are formatted and used...

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

xesrjb

Look for a female 44Pin CF Adapter!

xesrjb

(Look at my former post)

Audronic

@xesrjb

Thanks for the photo, I have ordered One .
Its good news using Acmedos 0.6 Format and loading the CF card from XP, and it works.

Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

xesrjb

Quote from: Audronic on 10:00, 05 February 17
@xesrjb

Its good news using Acmedos 0.6 Format and loading the CF card from XP, and it works.

Thanks    Ray

Yes, indeed...😉😉😉

xesrjb

HAL6128

...would be interesting in changing the parameters in Prodatrons formating tool to a 4 GB Environment. Maybe also works with AcmeDos?

Audronic

@SyX

Hi All

Does anybody know if SyX is still working on the AcmeDOS ROM, or has he abandoned the project.

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

HAL6128

I don't think he has abandoned it. It seems more that he's pretty busy in his studies for the moment.

radu14m

SOS

Bug found (using "tasword (uk) (1987).dsk"):
When you copy the files with |CPH to the DOM, the program didn't run.
The reason is in "TASCODE3.BIN", it's protected binary and it's decrypted automatically with CAS_IN_DIRECT+CHAR.
(see &D055,56,57 in AMSDOS).
So CPH decrypted the file and write the file with the protected filetyp "FF" to the DOM.
Tasword's loading-routine (CAS_IN_DIRECT) automatically decrypt the decrypted file, which can't be resulted
in a correct file (=Crash).

M4-Check follows  ;D

xesrjb

@xesrjb

Thanks    Ray

This CF cards are working under ACMEDos without any problems...

xesrjb

xesrjb

@xesrjb

Thanks    Ray

Have you made the test with CF Cards?

xesrjb