News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

talrek

Ok it is as I thought. Wanted to be sure of it.
Problem is just for utilities or games with same filenames ... Because if I'm not wrong the is no folders with amsdos....

TotO

It's why the ACMEDOS is used to handle the X-MASS. Like you can see on the screenshot, it support folders.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Ast

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

protek

Quote from: TFM on 19:23, 08 January 15
load and save commands! Or connect it to a PC and fill it with all kind of stuff. (I'm guessing).  :)
Do you need a MiniBooster or similar to connect to PC?

Is the flash connector a 44-pin IDE type? Can you connect some other flash media to X-MASS with an adapter?

TFM

Sorry for getting off topic a little... but just to answer.

For DSK-CPC you need an DSK image on on 3.5" disc and it can write the data of the DSK to a 3" disc for example. It's used to recreate real disc out of DSK images.
However in 2015 I would suggest the Mini-Booster with cable and Arkos ROM, that works very nice too and saves the time to copy everything on a disc (on PC side) first.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: TFM on 17:02, 09 January 15Does anybody know if the X-MASS is compatible to the CPC-IDE?
The CPC-IDE was developed before the SF2 and it found its way into the SF2 eventually.
So I assume the X-MASS is compatible to the CPC-IDE.
Personally I don't have access to both, anybody else?
The X-MASS use the same ports range. Like the SF2 does too. So, it should be compatible with the existing software.

Quote from: TFM on 16:50, 09 January 15For DSK-CPC you need an DSK image on on 3.5" disc and it can write the data of the DSK to a 3" disc for example. It's used to recreate real disc out of DSK images.
However in 2015 I would suggest the Mini-Booster with cable and Arkos ROM, that works very nice too and saves the time to copy everything on a disc (on PC side) first.
Arkos ROM already allow to write from PC (dsk) to CPC (floppy)... Or I don't understand the question.

protek

Quote from: TotO on 19:02, 09 January 15
The X-MASS use the same ports range. Like the SF2 does too. So, it should be compatible with the existing software.
Arkos ROM already allow to write from PC (dsk) to CPC (floppy)... Or I don't understand the question.
Well, my question basically is that how can I get stuff transferred onto the X-MASS?

TotO

OK. So yes, using the MiniBooster is a good way to exchange data with a PC.

Prodatron

Quote from: protek on 19:18, 09 January 15
Well, my question basically is that how can I get stuff transferred onto the X-MASS?

The fastest way would be to connect the DiskOnModule directly with a PC via a powered 44pin IDE connector.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

protek

radu14m

can you replace the DiskOnmodule flash with this adapter?

Then you can swap the CF card easy between PC and CPC :)

TotO

Yes, you can use a 44-PIN IDE adapter to plug the DOM to the PC and backup or fill its content.

This CF adapter is too thick to be plugged on the X-MASS slot.
Next, I will not support untested hardware as that require more investissement (time and cost) that I can't/don't want to spend.
Understand that X-MASS is not intended to be an exchange support but a mass-storage for CPC.

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 22:23, 09 January 15
Yes, you can use a 44-PIN IDE adapter to plug the DOM to the PC and backup or fill its content.

And also keep in mind which files you will put on it. While you have on the PC side usually DSKs, HFEs, PDFs or what ever you will need single files on the CPC side like you're used to use when working with the CPC (like BAS, BIN etc.)

I intend to make a data structure for FutureOS files, so that everybody can put that folder on the DOM on PC side to save time. There may not be much interest in such things, but I think it's also a great kind of backup.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

radu14m

radu14m

Why the symbos cant see the xmass?
Should i do something extra ?  I see only the floppy drive A and B, the ramdrive C is also not detected.
:o

CraigsBar

Hi Radu,

You need to configure the Mass storage drive in the "Control Panel"

Symbos does not use Silicon Disc as all RAM is used for the OS and Multi-Tasking aspects of the OS

In the COntrol Panel there is a Mass Storage option, in here select IDE drive, partition 1 etc...
From the Start menu save settings to your floppy disc

the copy SYMBOS.ini from the Floppy to the root of the C: drive

It should then just work.

It is better to copy the whole contents of both sides of the Symbos disc to C:\symbos and set this up as the system drectory aswell.

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

radu14m

thanks Craig, i follow your indications step by step and it"s working :)

i'm impressed ! :o

TotO

Are you impressed that Craig's instructions was good, or that you had been able to follow them?  :P

radu14m

I"m impressed about the x-mass and how nice the combination x-mass and symbos is working.

The X-mass made the CPC complete, this as imho the missing "hard drive " support that we have been waiting for since 90'.

The read/write speed is good, now only the ACMEROM is missing  ;)  and a nice apps and games package collection ( creme de la creme )

P.S. Craig"s instructions are definitely good  :P 

CraigsBar

Quote from: radu14m on 10:47, 25 January 15

P.S. Craig"s instructions are definitely good  :P
LOL maybe my chosen career in a it Helpdesk was not such a bad idea after all.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

radu14m

very precise explanation Craig, you lead me directly to the solution  ;)

Prodatron

I am really glad, that Craig could help you! :)
You can boot SymbOS completely without a floppy disc, if you install the ROM version of SymbOS. Just type |SYM and that's it, it will load the SYMBOS.INI directly from the root directory of IDE Master, Partition 1.
Please make sure, that you choosed "C" as boot drive (Control Panel -> System -> Boot drive) after adding the IDE device. Only in this case the SYMBOS.INI will always be stored there in case of changes.

CU,
Prodatron

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

radu14m

well, i installed on drive D :)
and it"s working, without need of a floppy disk.

it saved the SYMBOS.INI on drive D, and additionaly i copy all the applications and games into a SYMBOS directory.

i choose drive D because the drive C was used as a memory drive from CPM.

P.S. Can you make the 640x200 resolution to look better ? :)

Poliander

Quote from: radu14m on 20:43, 25 January 15
well, i installed on drive D :)
and it"s working, without need of a floppy disk.

it saved the SYMBOS.INI on drive D, and additionaly i copy all the applications and games into a SYMBOS directory.

i choose drive D because the drive C was used as a memory drive from CPM.

Did you have to create a partition + format the drive on your PC first? Or is the X-MASS expected to run out of the box?
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC