News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MASS, a mass-storage expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 18:32, 14 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

The X-MASS contains a DOM storage, which is FAT32 formatted and includes an MBR. You have one partition (partition 1) with effective 117MB.
So no need to format it. But you have to copy all the files of course. I used the HxC direct access version of SymbOS for that to copy a bunch of directories and large files from an SD card to the X-MASS. Next week I will try to get a 44pin IDE adapter -> USB to be able to copy it directly at the PC.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Poliander

Quote from: Prodatron on 21:14, 25 January 15
The X-MASS contains a DOM storage, which is FAT32 formatted and includes an MBR. You have one partition (partition 1) with effective 117MB.
So no need to format it. But you have to copy all the files of course. I used the HxC direct access version of SymbOS for that to copy a bunch of directories and large files from an SD card to the X-MASS. Next week I will try to get a 44pin IDE adapter -> USB to be able to copy it directly at the PC.

Thanks for the response. Strange... my X-MASS is playing dead :-( Any idea? (It's a 664, with a power supply connected to the X-Mother)
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

Prodatron

05 = "medium or partition not supported"

That means:
- SymbOS can access the device and the storage -> hardware seems to work fine
- but SymbOS can't access the partition, as it's either not formatted or in a wrong way

Maybe the DOM hasn't been formatted with an MBR. Can you try "not partitioned" instead of "Primary partition 1"?
If this is still not working you should first have a look at the DOM on a PC, maybe it needs to be formatted first?

CU,
Prodatron

Poliander

Quote from: Prodatron on 21:54, 25 January 15
05 = "medium or partition not supported"

That means:
- SymbOS can access the device and the storage -> hardware seems to work fine
- but SymbOS can't access the partition, as it's either not formatted or in a wrong way

Maybe the DOM hasn't been formatted with an MBR. Can you try "not partitioned" instead of "Primary partition 1"?
If this is still not working you should first have a look at the DOM on a PC, maybe it needs to be formatted first?

That's quite what I'm suspecting, too. Same error message when selecting "not partitioned". Okay, I'll see further next week. But thank you anyway :-)
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

TotO

It's a bit strange, as I have formated all the DOM to the same way and then tested each board on my 6128 with SymbOS, before shipping them.  :-\
Do you see the LED blinking one time "bright red" when SymbOS start to display the desktop and checking for drives?
If no, do you see it blinking one time "low red"?

Thank you,

TotO.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Joseman

@toto are all the xmass storage shipped or any unit is still waiting to be sent?

TFM

Still waiting for mine to arrive, but overseas may take quite a while.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

I have received close to 60 preorders in 2/3 weeks. Only 20 are shipped actually. (10 are work in progress)
Peoples who ordered other boards with the X-MASS will have to wait a bit more...

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Piotr

TotO

Yes, it more than I expected for a start, but I will do the best for.  ;D

radu14m

mine worked out of the box !
no format was needed !

what is "HxC direct access version of SymbOS "?

Prodatron

Quote from: radu14m on 19:43, 26 January 15
what is "HxC direct access version of SymbOS "?
You can download it here:
SymbOS with HxC Direct Access FAT32 support
It allows you to access the FAT32 formatted SD card inside your HxC floppy emulator directly. That makes it possible to swap tons of files of any sizes with the PC in a very easy way. The only disadvantage is, that the HxC is quite slow even in direct access mode, as it is still handling the SD sectors like floppy disc sectors.

radu14m

it is then possible to access the SDcard directly from Basic too ?
the ACMEROM maybe will do this ?  :o

TFM

@TotO Does the DOM of the X-MASS speak LBA? I assume so, but I'm not sure. Can you confirm?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: TFM on 20:52, 27 January 15
@TotO Does the DOM of the X-MASS speak LBA? I assume so, but I'm not sure. Can you confirm?
Absolutly.

Quote from: radu14m on 19:16, 27 January 15
it is then possible to access the SDcard directly from Basic too ?
the ACMEROM maybe will do this ?
Definitively no.

TFM

Why using the slow HxC instead of the quick X-MASS?  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

radu14m

Prodatron

@TFM: LBA is a standard since nearly 20 years :) IIRC harddiscs already had it middle/end of the 90ies.
I wonder if todays mass storage devices still speak CHS? (optional)

@Radu: It is very easy to provide simple sector read/write functions for additional hardware for a FAT based (or any other) filesystem. Then you can add HxC direct SD card access, printer port SD card access etc. etc. with a low amount of work. The only question is, if ACMEROM would allow it. Anyway most important thing is probably to finish it for the X-MASS/SF2 hardware now.

TFM

Well, yes, it's of course not 2004 any longer. But I never got into closer touch with DOM or SD-cards.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

radu14m

Quote from: Prodatron on 22:27, 27 January 15

@Radu: It is very easy to provide simple sector read/write functions for additional hardware for a FAT based (or any other) filesystem. Then you can add HxC direct SD card access, printer port SD card access etc. etc. with a low amount of work. The only question is, if ACMEROM would allow it. Anyway most important thing is probably to finish it for the X-MASS/SF2 hardware now.

Thanks, would be great to get a ROM with such read/write functions !

Ast

I've just received my own X-Mass.  :P  I'm so happpppyyyyyyyy!

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

radu14m

Ast

No because i don't have my Cpc with me here  :-\

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

CraigsBar

Yippee my X-Mass arrived and works perfectly. My 4128plus now has all 4 slots on it's Mother4x occupied. I remember reading somewhere here that a 6 channel playcity aware version of SymAMP existed to play PT3 files. Now does anyone know which thread I might find that in, I'd love to blast out some 6 channel tunes from my X-Mass :)

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode