News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MEM, a new memory expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 20:41, 26 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

Quote from: dodogildo on 13:38, 20 January 16
Yay! My X-MEM arrived at the long last :)

Hmm, where to start, what roms to install, have lots of things to think about this evening, olé!

Make your own tests and find what is the best for you (depends on what you do on CPC).  ;)

khaz

I've found one game which doesn't work when the RAM is expanded. More precisely, the DSK image I'm using has trouble when the 4M expansion is activated in WinAPE 2.0beta2. I don't know if it happens on real hardware with an authentic copy of the game.

The game is Eve of shadows, the text is completely garbled during gameplay.

Have you considered mounting an extra switch on your board to disable the RAM? I only see switches for ROMs in the documentation.

TotO

Thank you for the information!  8)
The problem is the game (one per 1000?) that use different mirrored addresses to acces the same content.  :-\
It is probably more easy to patch it than all memory expansions out since 30 years.  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Quote from: khaz on 04:21, 28 January 16
I've found one game which doesn't work when the RAM is expanded. More precisely, the DSK image I'm using has trouble when the 4M expansion is activated in WinAPE 2.0beta2. I don't know if it happens on real hardware with an authentic copy of the game.

The game is Eve of shadows, the text is completely garbled during gameplay.

Have you considered mounting an extra switch on your board to disable the RAM? I only see switches for ROMs in the documentation.

That's not needed. You compare apples and peas here. The X-MEM has 512 KB while the 4M has 4 MB. There is a difference! I'm 90% sure it will work with X-MEM. Reason: X-MEM uses port &7Fxx, but the 4 MB expansion uses ports between &7Fxx and &78xx. Also don't judge from an emulator to real hardware!!!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

khaz

Quote from: TFM on 16:53, 28 January 16

That's not needed. You compare apples and peas here. The X-MEM has 512 KB while the 4M has 4 MB. There is a difference! I'm 90% sure it will work with X-MEM. Reason: X-MEM uses port &7Fxx, but the 4 MB expansion uses ports between &7Fxx and &78xx. Also don't judge from an emulator to real hardware!!!  :)

Oh of course, as long as I can't test on the real hardware I can't decently fill a bug report about it. I just thought about mentioning it here in case it was something known or common.

I got mixed in my bits and bytes then, I thought the 4M option in WinAPE was akin to the 512k of the X-MEM. Sorry about that! It didn't help that the 3.15 firmware shows a 576K RAM value when the 4M option is selected (hard limit?)

TotO

The FW3.15 only count up to 512K of expanded RAM.
Else... It will no more fit inside the mask!  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Quote from: khaz on 19:21, 29 January 16
Oh of course, as long as I can't test on the real hardware I can't decently fill a bug report about it. I just thought about mentioning it here in case it was something known or common.

I got mixed in my bits and bytes then, I thought the 4M option in WinAPE was akin to the 512k of the X-MEM. Sorry about that! It didn't help that the 3.15 firmware shows a 576K RAM value when the 4M option is selected (hard limit?)

What I can do for you is to check with 512 KB E-RAM and with 1024 KB E-RAM and see if problems are there. Send me your DSK which makes problem (and tell me how to reproduce the problem) if you like.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Higgy

Hello,

I am new to the Amstrad so be nice  ;) .

I have a 464, but so many demos are for 128K  :( , and CPC6128's are very expensive.
Sorry if this is stupid, but could the excellent X-MEM be plugged into Zaxon's DDI3 USB Floppy Emulator to give us poor 464 owners a nice access to 128K programmes? Maybe a firmware tweek is required.

If this is a stupid idea, then are there any alternative suggestions?

Thanks.

DDI3 USB Floppy EmulatorDDI3 USB Floppy EmulatorDDI3 USB Floppy EmulatorZaxonZaxon216

Munchausen

Quote from: Higgy on 10:01, 11 March 16
Hello,

I am new to the Amstrad so be nice  ;) .

I have a 464, but so many demos are for 128K  :( , and CPC6128's are very expensive.
Sorry if this is stupid, but could the excellent X-MEM be plugged into Zaxon's DDI3 USB Floppy Emulator to give us poor 464 owners a nice access to 128K programmes? Maybe a firmware tweek is required.

If this is a stupid idea, then are there any alternative suggestions?

Thanks.

DDI3 USB Floppy EmulatorDDI3 USB Floppy EmulatorDDI3 USB Floppy EmulatorZaxonZaxon216

Yes, this will effectively give you a 6128 upgraded to 512K RAM, 512K ROM and an HxC floppy.

TotO

But... As I know, a 6128 computer cost the same price than a DDI-3 alone.  ???

gerald

Quote from: Higgy on 10:01, 11 March 16
:-\

Higgy

Quote from: gerald on 11:09, 11 March 16
:-\

:laugh: Sorry, some strange hidden 'cut/paste' text. :doh:

@TotO - In UK people are asking over £60 for untested 6128's!! And I thought untested ZX Spectrums were expensive! To be fair it looks like dear old Sir Alan made his computer more robust than Sir Clive. Well better quality or electrical handling of the memory chips  ;D

I was thinking the connector on the DDI3 was 50-pin, but re-checking I am sure it is smaller (direct connection of a disk drive?). So I would end up with a rats nest of MotherX4, X-MEM and DDI3, making my 464 as deep as it is already wide  :laugh:

I might then keep an eye out for a cheaper 6128.

Bryce

Anything that goes wrong on a Classic 6128 is cheap and easy to repair. Much better / neater solution than adding all those expansions to a 464.

Bryce.

Dizrythmia

I ordered an X-MEM but like other people who have, we have to wait for Toto to make them :)

In the meantime my DDI3 works nicely with my dk'Tronics 64k expansion on my 464. Parados is an issue, but I assume when I get the X-MEM it won't be a problem.

TotO

I have actually 10 X-MEM, 7 X-MASS, 6 MotherX4, 4 MiniBooster, 3 PlayCity waiting to be tested this Saturday and shipped Tuesday.
Next, I will be in vacations for 2 weeks (Japan) ... So, sorry if some will have to wait my return.  8)

TFM

Quote from: Higgy on 13:40, 11 March 16
So I would end up with a rats nest of MotherX4, X-MEM and DDI3, making my 464 as deep as it is already wide  :laugh:

The gain of the MX4 solution is to omit such a situation. Instead of a rats tail, you only add a box at the expansion port.  :)  However I would favour the 6128 solution for many other reasons.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

khaz

Speaking of boxes, has anyone considered 3D printing one for the MX4 and its various extensions?

||C|-|E||

I thought about it, but it is not so easy because depending on the expansions there are lots of little buttons you need to access. On the other hand, the RESET button in MotherX4 is attached to the PCB and this makes the case thing a bit more difficult. I guess that it would be cool to print something that actually houses Mother, lets a bit of space for the reset and has some open slots that let the cards to pop outside for easy access to them :).

TFM

Just get a case which fits and lead cables to the box from the switches. One doen't need all of the switches anyway.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

TotO

I have loved to be able to make cases for my expansions, but it was not really easy to use the switches.

khaz

Well, you could use a longer switch for your reset button, and use a thin (1cm thick) case with openings for each slot.

As for the switches on each extension (X-MEM and MinBooster only?), I believe they are only used during the initial setup, and not usually accessed during every day use. You could also change some of them for temporary push buttons, like "hold while powering up to boot with the default CPC ROMs" to keep an easy access through the case. That would mean changing your design and making new boards, but this is something you would have to anyway, as I don't see mounting holes on them.

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 20:23, 11 March 16
I have loved to be able to make cases for my expansions, but it was not really easy to use the switches.

Well, one of the major advantages of the MotherX4 idea is that we can make custom combination of cards. So a casing would be different for everybody anyway.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

khaz

I received mine today, but I've been running into a bunch of problems using it with ROMs.

It seems like |FLASH doesn't work. It empties the screen and hangs here, and there is only a couple of random characters at the ROM position. Same with flasher on the disc, it just resets the screen. I've tried using ROMAN on disc and had better success, but it still hangs the computer quite often. I've been able to initialise and install the board without a problem though.

Audronic

@khaz

Could you take a Photo of the CPC and the cable and the mother 4 as you have it connected Please.
Photo included as to the WRONG Way I Connected it up.   

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

pelrun

Every time I've had problems flashing a ROM file to my X-MEM it's because I forgot to add the AMSDOS header to it when transferring it from my PC.