News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MEM, a new memory expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 20:41, 26 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: khaz on 04:00, 18 March 16
I received mine today, but I've been running into a bunch of problems using it with ROMs.
I have tested your X-MEM and programmed ROM on it without any problem.
Please, try to clean your expansion connector with cotton-stab and alcohol.  8)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

khaz

Quote from: Audronic on 05:03, 18 March 16Could you take a Photo of the CPC and the cable and the mother 4 as you have it connected Please.
There is no MX4, only the X-MEM board with the ribbon cable, chips facing up.

Quote from: TotO on 08:49, 18 March 16I have tested your X-MEM and programmed ROM on it without any problem.
Please, try to clean your expansion connector with cotton-stab and alcohol.  8)
I just did. I forgot to do it at first and I hoped it was my problem, but

Quote from: pelrun on 05:40, 18 March 16Every time I've had problems flashing a ROM file to my X-MEM it's because I forgot to add the AMSDOS header to it when transferring it from my PC.
That did the trick. I redid my .dsk with headers on on winape, and it seems to be working now.

ROMAN still randomly hangs, but I suppose it's because the software wasn't specifically designed for your board? Can anyone else confirm it doesn't work with them either? Shame, I quite appreciate its user interface (it just needs an editor and a tool to move ROMs now)

Also, I can't make Parados |DRIVE command work with the 3.15 firmware? It just gives me a "Bad command" error". Flicking the switch to CPC ROMs it works fine. Well, I can't figure how to format to DS 80, but that's probably  not related to the X-MEM.

TFM

Quote from: pelrun on 05:40, 18 March 16
Every time I've had problems flashing a ROM file to my X-MEM it's because I forgot to add the AMSDOS header to it when transferring it from my PC.

Then use ROManager 2.14 (for FutureOS, see my homepage). It work with and without headers.  ;)

Quote from: khaz on 14:25, 18 March 16ROMAN still randomly hangs, but I suppose it's because the software wasn't specifically designed for your board? Can anyone else confirm it doesn't work with them either? Shame, I quite appreciate its user interface (it just needs an editor and a tool to move ROMs now)

Same advice for you!  :)  ROManager 2.14 has a ROM editor too.  ;)

Also: Could it be the case that your PSU is (too) weak?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

khaz

Quote from: TFM on 18:06, 18 March 16Then use ROManager 2.14 (for FutureOS, see my homepage). It work with and without headers.  ;)
Eh, I thought the default provided tool would have maximum compatibility. Maybe next update.

I did consider using ROManager and played with it briefly in emulation, before settling for Roman. iirc some user interface design choices were not to my liking. Would you be interested in some opinions about it?

Quote from: TFM on 18:06, 18 March 16Also: Could it be the case that your PSU is (too) weak?
I doubt it, it's a new PSU from retrocables.es. I got it with their Scart cable: it makes for quite a tangled mess but it has been working fine so far.

TFM

Quote from: khaz on 18:31, 18 March 16
Eh, I thought the default provided tool would have maximum compatibility. Maybe next update.

I did consider using ROManager and played with it briefly in emulation, before settling for Roman. iirc some user interface design choices were not to my liking. Would you be interested in some opinions about it?
I doubt it, it's a new PSU from retrocables.es. I got it with their Scart cable: it makes for quite a tangled mess but it has been working fine so far.

Well, good to hear that the PSU is fine. I power my CPC6128 and MX4 with a 5V, 3A PSU, but 2A should be fine IMHO. Brought this up, because in the past PSUs were responsible for some problems (also at my home, haha).

Of course I'm interrested in GUI opinions. Feedback is the most valuable thingy for development anyway. I can't guarantee, that I can make it happen, but please share your opinion and ideas.  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

first at all, try to program it using the install program from the X-MEM floppy.
Please, let me know what is your CPU model and CRTC too.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

remax

What is the good FW version for the XMEM?

FW316FR32.ROM i guess ?
Brain Radioactivity

TotO

316 = 3.16 version (X-MASS, no RAM Drive)
FR = AZERTY keyboard layout
32 = 32 ROM support

remax

Quote from: TotO on 20:31, 30 May 16
316 = 3.16 version (X-MASS, no RAM Drive)
FR = AZERTY keyboard layout
32 = 32 ROM support

So it's only for X-MASS, not X-MEM ?
Brain Radioactivity

TotO

It is for X-MEM with X-MASS, or X-MEM w/o using RAM Drive.

khaz

TotO

Not actually, because they use the same system memory space. So it is a big work to rewrite all.
The X-MASS is as fast as the RAM for the drive usage, so it is actualy not justified to do it.

Ast

Ram drive would be important to transfert data from Disc to X-mass. I mean full copy Disc, of course...

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

TotO

Quote from: Ast on 12:22, 31 May 16
Ram drive would be important to transfert data from Disc to X-mass. I mean full copy Disc, of course...
Use the RAM.  :-\

angelcaio

Quote from: TotO on 08:04, 31 May 16
Not actually, because they use the same system memory space. So it is a big work to rewrite all.
The X-MASS is as fast as the RAM for the drive usage, so it is actualy not justified to do it.
[size=78%]  [/size]

But if the ramdisk disappears, then  for CP/M...
It would be possible to use  the X-Mass under CP/M? Maybe in the future?
This would be fantastic, at least for me ;D

TotO

FW316 is a minor update. You can continue to use the FW315 with the RAM Drive for CP/M.
But sure, it will be great to be able to use the X-MASS with folders too.

angelcaio

Quote from: TotO on 14:20, 31 May 16
FW316 is a minor update. You can continue to use the FW315 with the RAM Drive for CP/M.
But sure, it will be great to be able to use the X-MASS with folders too.
That sure is well with subdirectories.[emoji6]   To install the new firmware 3.16 on a real cpc, how can I do it?
with the ( recommended ) install utility installs the 3.15 versión . Exist a new version of install four the new firmware?
with the command |flash i not how to flash the rom 0
I have not tried the 'flasher' utility ....
I would be sure of what I do before damage something.[emoji26]

Enviado desde mi H60-L04 mediante Tapatalk

TotO

The ROM 7 is not altered by the X-MEM device. The Firmware is used instead.
You must set the bit6 to 1 for writing the Lower ROM (&47) and ROM 0 (&40).

|FLASH,"FW316ES32.ROM", 71  (for spanish keyboard)
|FLASH,"FW316EXP.ROM", 1  (update the exp rom)

But sure, I will see to update the install tool (it does the same with CALL instead of RSX)

merlinkv

Testing some ROMs with X-MEM I have found that sometimes the ROMs stored in the IC became corrupt and the CPC6128 can't boot.

I have made a ROM image (see attached file) that can be used with an EEPROM programmer to recover the X-MEM (English/FW3.15/CPM).

I hope maybe is useful for someone.

TFM

This ROM equals the CPC 6128 BASIC ROM completely. Did you pick the wrong image to upload?

TFM of FutureSoft

merlinkv

I've extracted the image directly from the ROM IC of the X-MEM (is 512kb), tested several times & working fine for me.

It contains the ROMs installed from the FDD v1.7 by default .....

Subaru

Quote from: TotO on 21:03, 31 May 16
The ROM 7 is not altered by the X-MEM device. The Firmware is used instead.
You must set the bit6 to 1 for writing the Lower ROM (&47) and ROM 0 (&40).

|FLASH,"FW316ES32.ROM", 71  (for spanish keyboard)
|FLASH,"FW316EXP.ROM", 1  (update the exp rom)

But sure, I will see to update the install tool (it does the same with CALL instead of RSX)

C'est normal ce ",71" comme emplacement de la ROM ?
"A L'HEURE OU BLANCHIT LA CAMPAGNE... (COURAGE, FUYONS !!!)"

Sorry, for my bad english. -> googletrad

TFM

Quote from: Subaru on 20:41, 01 September 16
C'est normal ce ",71" comme emplacement de la ROM ?

Yes, for the X-MEM it is. 71 equals &47, this is the location for the lower ROM. But only for the X-MEM.
TFM of FutureSoft

TotO

Yes. It is the hexadecimal value &40 + the ROM location number.

anyf33

hello Toto, i want to buy a memory expansion for my cpc like xmem BUT i already have the m4 wifi board WITH EDGE connector!
is possible a converter edge to mother x4 board?
:picard2: :doh:
i think the better way is to sell it and buy a m4 with x4 pins
or maybe is possible with this???
http://www.spielquader.de/50pin-Edge-Connector-Changer-for-CPC-etc