News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MEM, a new memory expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 20:41, 26 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: anyf33 on 16:29, 19 September 16
hello Toto, i want to buy a memory expansion for my cpc like xmem BUT i already have the m4 wifi board WITH EDGE connector!
is possible a converter edge to mother x4 board?
:picard2: :doh:

You can plug it on the MotherX4 passthrough connector, using this: MX4 Edge adapter

(or yes, sell it and buy a new one)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

opticpow

Hi All,

I just received my X-MEM kit yesterday and I eagerly built it last night. After soldering it up, and running through the init & install programs I came across a interesting problem:

Connected to my 6128 and boot with the ROM switch on CPC, I get the ROM message after doing the install. When I try to boot with the switch on ROM, I just get a blank screen. 

I decided to try it on my 464, so I change the RAM switch to 464 and it boots correctly into the FW and appears to work correctly. I then went back to the 6128 and it was working now. What I just realised is that I left the RAM switch on 464. For some reason, it works on both my 464 & 6128 on the 464 switch, but on my 6128 it doesn't boot on the 6128 setting. Should I be worried about this?

I haven't done any testing besides the supplied programs to list the ROMs etc. I'd like to get Parados working on it to get better 3.5" support on my 6128. I uploaded it to slot 6 but couldn't get the |DRIVE RSX to work and it was 2am by this stage so I called it a night.

I haven't read through this entire thread yet, so please excuse this question if it has come up before.

Wayne.

TotO

Hey!

May be your "464/6128" switch solder need to be redo? (forcing the 6128 as a 464 work but is not a solution)
Please, send me the both side pictures by mail, so I will be able to take a look.  ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

opticpow

Quote from: TotO on 11:24, 19 October 16
Hey!

May be your "464/6128" switch solder need to be redo? (forcing the 6128 as a 464 work but is not a solution)
Please, send me the both side pictures by mail, so I will be able to take a look.  ;)

I'm pretty sure the solder was ok, but I've redone the switches just in case. Email sent.

I've checked my edge connector and it looked pretty bad, so I cleaned it with some alcohol and that seems to have improved the situation and can now boot with the switch on 6128. I'm still seeing a strange things accessing drive B when booted from the X-MEM. I'll play more and see if I can work out whats going on

Wayne

Wayne.

Bryce

Any chance that you have ParaDOS installed?

Bryce.

TotO

Quote from: opticpow on 14:57, 19 October 16
I'm pretty sure the solder was ok, but I've redone the switches just in case. Email sent.

I've checked my edge connector and it looked pretty bad, so I cleaned it with some alcohol and that seems to have improved the situation and can now boot with the switch on 6128. I'm still seeing a strange things accessing drive B when booted from the X-MEM. I'll play more and see if I can work out whats going on

Nice to read that cleaning your expansion connector allow to solve the problem. (I was afraid that switch was defective)
May be cleaning the floppy connector will help too?  ;D

opticpow

Quote from: Bryce on 15:09, 19 October 16
Any chance that you have ParaDOS installed?

Bryce.

Yep, in Slot 6

Bryce

Quote from: opticpow on 16:14, 19 October 16
Yep, in Slot 6

As far as I know, drive B: acts differently when ParaDOS is enabled.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk

opticpow

Quote from: Bryce on 16:17, 19 October 16
As far as I know, drive B: acts differently when ParaDOS is enabled.

Bryce.

Looks like it could be the culprit. Removed ParaDOS and I can CAT drive B without screen issues.

Dam, using ParaDOS with my 3.5 drive was my main use case  :picard:

Wayne

Audronic

@opticpow

Parados Version 1.2 Modifications.
So that the Drive B defaults to 40 Track Single sided.
and then you can use Parados to make adjustments to the drive setup.

To make the "B" drive default to 40 Track Single sided.

Modify the byte at &3ffe  from &03 to &00 (drive B).

and alter the Checksum Byte at &3fff from &E5 to &E2

Good luck   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

opticpow

Quote from: Audronic on 03:40, 20 October 16
@opticpow

Parados Version 1.2 Modifications.
So that the Drive B defaults to 40 Track Single sided.
and then you can use Parados to make adjustments to the drive setup.

To make the "B" drive default to 40 Track Single sided.

Modify the byte at &3ffe  from &03 to &00 (drive B).

and alter the Checksum Byte at &3fff from &E5 to &E2

Good luck   Ray

Thanks Ray, I'll give that a go tonight.

Wayne

Audronic

@opticpow
Here is a copy of the Rom that i use, it will save you having to patch a rom.
I have renamed it to ParaDV2m.rom to save confusion.

Good luck    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

opticpow

Quote from: Audronic on 04:17, 20 October 16
@opticpow
Here is a copy of the Rom that i use, it will save you having to patch a rom.
I have renamed it to ParDV2m.rom to save confusion.

Good luck    Ray

@Audronic

I finally got some free time to test this out. Works like a charm. Thanks Ray

Wayne

Grimmsqueaker

I ordered mine earlier this week so waiting for it to arrive now, hopefully it will arrive in the next few days.

I am literally using it as a ram expansion and the 6128 switch to run games like Adams family and get music and the extra features on other titles!

dragon

I have strange issue.

When i put x-mem.(booting from cpc).

|drive from parados returns me bad command, all others command appear working, included the mine in my custom 512k cartridge.

But without x-mem |drive works.

But this not happen in normal parados cartridge(128k).

anyway i not remember touch |drive.

well this happend to booting from rom in x-mem. No mather what cartridge i inserted in c4cpc it return "bad commnad" in |drive.

angelcaio

Try pressing esc while you boot the system for skip the ROMs initialization
http://www.centpourcent.net/uploads/2/2/9/8/22986686/getstart.txt

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

dragon

Quote from: angelcaio on 19:17, 24 December 16
Try pressing esc while you boot the system for skip the ROMs initialization
http://www.centpourcent.net/uploads/2/2/9/8/22986686/getstart.txt

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

O found these old post from 2014  :D . I go try It Next time i mount the cpc.

Quote from: CraigsBar on 00:40, 17 November 14
The Bad Command is because there is a bug in the Expansion rom for the RamDisc. There is a fixed version which TotO provided to me in this thread somewhere. OR if you rerun the install turning off the RamDisc until this new EXT rom is included on the next disc image release then this also fixes it...

On Second thoughts I am sure the guys will not mind me uploading a DSK copy of my XMEM disc that has the fixed EXT rom included. You only need to replace side 1 but both sides are included purly for completeness.

Craig

Anyway the 3.15w expansions detect my modified parados ROM  as "trash". :-\  i need take a look to disasembly around these text to view why he is thinking is trash Jaja.

TotO

For information, the X-MEM 512K RAM IC should be replaced with the M48Z512 or M48T512 IC.

M48Z512 is a NVRAM. It allow to keep the memory content when the CPC is turned off (RAM Drive). It cost around 10/15$.
M48T512 is a TIMEKEEPER. It allow the same, but the last 8 bytes are used for the embedded Real Time Clock. It cost around 20/25$.

Let me know your interrest for that. It will be possible the reduce the price with quantity. 8)

Audronic

Quote from: TotO on 14:18, 31 December 16
For information, the X-MEM 512K RAM IC should be replaced with the M48Z512 or M48T512 IC.
Happy New Year .
?? Ram Drive ??
?? RTC ??
Will there be some software support ???

Thanks    Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

TotO

Quote from: Audronic on 00:58, 01 January 17
?? Ram Drive ??
?? RTC ??
Will there be some software support ???
The RAM Drive already exist (CP/M, FW3.15, some softwares). That allow to not lost its content when your turn off the CPC.
About the RTC, it is really easy as you just have to write or read 8bytes to do it into your own programs.
And I'm sure that will took less than a minute to Prodatron, TFM, SyX ... to support it.

Audronic

@TotO
Ok Thanks.
I have ordered  one (M48Z512)  For about $6.00 Australian to use as a test.
Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

Prodatron

Quote from: TotO on 13:19, 01 January 17About the RTC, it is really easy as you just have to write or read 8bytes to do it into your own programs.
Sounds interesting, I will have a look at the specs. So for accessing the RTC you just do
OUT #7F00,#FF
and read/write bytes #7ff8-#7fff
?

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

TotO

Quote from: Prodatron on 01:39, 02 January 17
Sounds interesting, I will have a look at the specs. So for accessing the RTC you just do
OUT #7F00,#FF and read/write bytes #7ff8-#7fff ?
Exactly.

TotO

Quote from: Audronic on 00:48, 02 January 17
I have ordered  one (M48Z512)  For about $6.00 Australian to use as a test.
Nice deal for the NVRAM version. (no RTC)

zhulien

Quote from: opticpow on 16:27, 19 October 16
Looks like it could be the culprit. Removed ParaDOS and I can CAT drive B without screen issues.

Dam, using ParaDOS with my 3.5 drive was my main use case  :picard:

Wayne

Perhaps you can try the super.rom and modified amsdos80.rom?  this I believe was more common than ParaDOS at least here in Melbourne and is very compatible - all it really does is change the number of tracks.  For CPM you can use xform (on the dragonbreed utils rom) to set it to Vortex CPM format.  You only get about 704kb per disc, but still not bad.