News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MEM, a new memory expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 20:41, 26 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Quote from: Prodatron on 17:17, 28 April 14
Did you try SymbOS with your expansion on a 464? It doesn't use #c3, only #c1,#c2 and #c4-#c7. But I was sure, that it doesn't work on a 464... :o
Yes c3 does work on 464 but to be 100% you need to have upper rom disabled if you want to read/write &4000-&7fff.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TotO

Quote from: Prodatron on 17:17, 28 April 14Still wonder, why you would need a ram disc, as you can load all applications at the same time and don't need to quit them again.
To unpack from ROM the system files and set C: as default drive on 464 w/o floppy?
To store files and exchange them with BASIC w/o using floppies for example?
The RAD resist to the reset and to a fast power OFF/ON !

Quote from: Prodatron on 17:17, 28 April 14Did you try SymbOS with your expansion on a 464?
It doesn't use #c3, only #c1,#c2 and #c4-#c7. But I was sure, that it doesn't work on a 464... :o
Haha.  ;D

SymbOS CPC 464 - YouTube

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TotO

Quote from: CraigsBar on 17:36, 28 April 14
Is there a ROM image of FW3.13 around somewhere?
Please, wait the X-MEM release. Need more work actually. :)
The RAD (RAm Disc) start from an extra ROM actually, because not sure to fit inside.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

greatxerox

hello Toto^^
stp, peux tu expliquer en français (un résumé) des fonctionnalités de ce chip, j'en ferai une news sur amstrad.eu  et je ferai pointer sur ce topic.

merci^^

CraigsBar

Quote from: TotO on 18:34, 28 April 14
Please, wait the X-MEM release. Need more work actually. :)
The RAD (RAm Disc) start from an extra ROM actually, because not sure to fit inside.

I like the sound of that even more... Straight into a Symbiface2 I assume as both memory expansions are dk'tronics compatible :)

Oh No! another expansion I am looking forward to. I wonder if this would fit internally in my 2nd 6128plus.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 16:16, 28 April 14
TFM will said: "so FutureOS pointer will not work" ... And it's true. (tested yesterday)
Hey Stefan! Time to make it a great command line OS only!!!  ;D

Well, you made the RAM expansion as much comprehensive as possible.  :)
btw.: Command line is exactly what I never wanted (take CP/M+  ;) ).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

redbox

Quote from: TFM on 20:29, 28 April 14
btw.: Command line is exactly what I never wanted (take CP/M+  ;) ).

It's what I've always wanted... *nix on a CPC would officially rulez.

TotO

With its great performances and hardware support, a command line version of FutureOS will be the best alternative of CP/M and *NIX for the CPC.
Its GUI should be a layer over it to not force peoples to use a mouse than nobody own.
The command line system should be based on BSD.

With the X-MEM, it may be more interesting as more peoples will be able to use it.

Bryce

redbox

Quote from: Bryce on 09:17, 29 April 14
Isn't that what QCMD does?

No, that's really a utility ROM with a command line interface.

TFM

Ok, that's getting a bit off topic now, but I will be back at topic at the end of the post.

Quote from: TotO on 08:37, 29 April 14
With its great performances and hardware support, a command line version of FutureOS will be the best alternative of CP/M and *NIX for the CPC.
For command line we already have SymbOS, it's performance is great and like I remember it's kind of command line it great. Others do know much more about it than me.

Quote from: TotO on 08:37, 29 April 14
Its GUI should be a layer over it to not force peoples to use a mouse than nobody own.
The command line system should be based on BSD.

For input you can use any mouse, keyboard, cursor keys, joystick 1+2 or others.

Quote from: TotO on 08:37, 29 April 14With the X-MEM, it may be more interesting as more peoples will be able to use it.

Back to X-MEM! Thank's to TotO we know pretty precisely how the X-MEM works. Now let me ask a question: Which kind of software is Syx working on? Or is it secret?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: TFM on 17:19, 29 April 14 Thank's to TotO we know pretty precisely how the X-MEM works. Now let me ask a question: Which kind of software is Syx working on? Or is it secret?
SyX do a great work on the FW3.x !
Now, it's possible to use a simple CALL from the BASIC to program any ROM and we no more need to turn the hard switch ON/OFF on each programming. (it's use is more like a floppy disc now)

10 MEMORY &3FFF:LOAD"MYROM.ROM"
20 CALL &B8DD,&4000,1,256        (,256 is optional)

Now, MYROM is written at ROM 1 using a 256bytes page.

10 MEMORY &3FFF:LOAD"BLANK.ROM"
20 FOR i = 1 TO 31
30 CALL &B8DD,&4000,i
40 NEXT i

The ROM Board is now cleaned. (sure, lazy blanking but more understandable)

Better to come... ;)

TFM

Interesting!  :)

How to switch on and off a ROM for write access?
TFM of FutureSoft

TotO

Quote from: TFM on 19:19, 29 April 14How to switch on and off a ROM for write access?
Not needed, it's automatic. The switch is only used to force hard protection against paranoia.  ;D

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 19:24, 29 April 14
Not needed, it's automatic. The switch is only used to force hard protection against paranoia.  ;D

Yes. I got that. So how does that automatic work? Which Flash do you use? The same as in the FlashGordon, so you have to unprotect the Flash for every write cycle? But this is not in agreement with the 256 bytes page written by SyX program.

TFM of FutureSoft

beaker

Quote from: MartinW on 19:06, 27 April 14
Dilemma! Do I even bother with my MegaROM now? I guess I may as well still...

Yeah, I think I am going to throw my LowerROM and Megaflash I am using in my CPC464 in the trash[nb]joking - I am going to use it on my CPC 6128[/nb] now as it's too bulky and lacking in features and use this instead  :P

Going to order 2, 1 for the CPC 464 and one for the CPC 664.
Does anyone know if I can put my Symbiface 2 inside my CPC 6128+ case?

@Bryce - any details on the Amiga project? I've got a second mess around A1200 and it's been ages since I bought anything from you :)

TotO

Quote from: TFM on 19:58, 29 April 14Yes. I got that. So how does that automatic work? Which Flash do you use? The same as in the FlashGordon, so you have to unprotect the Flash for every write cycle? But this is not in agreement with the 256 bytes page written by SyX program.

The ROM logic is handled by the CPLD as the same way as the "CTC-AY" cartridges, not like the Megaflash or the FlashGordon.
The X-MEM use a Winbond W29C040 in DIP package. (not compatible with FlashGordon but MegaFlash)
Because I have tried W29C020 too, it's why the SyX programs support 128 and 256 bytes pages values.

So, peoples using a MegaFlash + Lower-ROM stay compatible.

MartinW

;D  I've had the X-Mem store page up since the weekend now and keep going to purchase it. But reality is that I don't really use the 6128 at the moment and I'd want the motherboard, the X-Mem and the mini booster and those altogether come up at £75. Which is a lot for something I may not use!

I'm off to finish the MegaROM. Might rekindle my interest.

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 20:22, 29 April 14
The ROM logic is handled by the CPLD as the same way as the "CTC-AY" cartridges, not like the Megaflash or the FlashGordon.
The X-MEM use a Winbond W29C040 in DIP package. (not compatible with FlashGordon but MegaFlash)
Because I have tried W29C020 too, it's why the SyX programs support 128 and 256 bytes pages values.

So, peoples using a MegaFlash + Lower-ROM stay compatible.

Ah thanks!

So writing a ROM is like:
- Unprotect Flash
- Write to Flash
- Protect Flash

And that's it, right?
TFM of FutureSoft

TotO

jbaudrand

TFM

Sure. All games which need more than 64 KB (128 KB) of RAM and all games which like to run in ROM.

TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

QuoteDoes futur game will use x-Mem?
any 464 or (rarer) 664 user may be interested just for the extra RAM so they get the 128k productions.

The ROM is also usefull to have patched firmwares, like ù becoming | as in |cpm instead of ùcpm with french keyboards.

awergh

So I was wondering as I have a 464 + DDI is there someway I can still use both this and the DDI? or do I have to wait for Bryce to develop a DDI-2 which has a passthrough so that other devices can be attatched after the DDI?

IanS

Quote from: awergh on 08:06, 05 May 14
So I was wondering as I have a 464 + DDI is there someway I can still use both this and the DDI? or do I have to wait for Bryce to develop a DDI-2 which has a passthrough so that other devices can be attatched after the DDI?
The cable for the X-MEM could have an extra connector added like the serial interface (http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/File:Amstrad_RS232C_Top_FR.jpg), you could plug your DDI-1 in there. Though finding a reversiboard (as maplin used to call them) may be difficult.

Has anyone ever had a batch of reversiboards made up recently?