News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MEM, a new memory expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 20:41, 26 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Not enough water.... *ROFL*.... back to topic!!!

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dcdrac

Quick question you would plug this into the back of your CPC or CPC Plus and then/

TFM

Yes, at the 50 Pin expansion port.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dcdrac

TotO

Those cables are for the floppy port, not the expansion port.
What do you want to do exactly? (related to the X-MEM I suggest)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

dcdrac

The mempack edge connector will work on my standard 6128s fine, what I need is something to allow it to connect to my 6128 Plus

TotO

OK, you search about an EDGE to Centronics adapter to plug an old CPC expansion to your PLUS?
(sorry, I'm tired and don't understand well)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

dcdrac

the centronics end to plug into the expansion port of the Plus and the old style end to plug into the X-mem board

TotO

But, the X-MEM don't use an Edge connector but a 2x50pin slot that can be connector to MotherX4 or Edge cable or Centronics cable. :D
Take a look here Produits disponibles - Cent Pour Cent for more informations.
Send me a PM and ask me what you want, I will answer tomorrow. :)

Bryce

To clear it up with a picture... http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/8/8a/MegaROM_Cables.png

You need the cable on the left to connect the X-Mem to an edge connector type CPC and the connector on the right for all other CPCs.

Bryce.

TotO

Thank you for the picture.
I have reply to that from his PM, yesterday evening.

dcdrac

in that case I would like to order one with both types of connector please and and a manual, thank you.

TotO

Munchausen

I was thinking, what happens if you use an X-Mem ROM only board with a symbiface (with the symbiface ROMs disabled). Will it work?

I have a LowerROM and a Symbiface, but with the X-Mem you can reprogram ROM 0 and that would be very handy. On the LowerROM it must always be the first expansion device, is there a similar rule for the X-Mem?

TotO

I have not tried, but I suggest that should work on a 6128.
But... May be, you don't really need the X-MEM board if you already got 512K RAM/ROM.
Test your need first before?

TFM

What do expansions provide (regarding ROMs)?

LowerROM: lower ROM
X-MEM:    lower ROM, ROMs 1-6, 8-31, 64, 71 (*)
SFII:                ROMs 0-31

*X-MEM ROM &47 serves as lower ROM. And &40 serves as ROM 0 if feature is activated.[nb]TotO correct me if I told it wrong.[/nb]

TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Ordered a MotherX4, MiniBooster and X-Mem boards, these will be destined for use on my new 464 plus and UK CPC 6128 leaving the Symbifaces for use on the 6128 plus and Schneider CPC 6128.

I cannot wait for a fun summer of CPC'ing :)

I *might* have a Symbiface for sale if anyone is interested, I cannot see me needing 2 *and* a full x-mem setup ;-)

craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

dcdrac

When mine arrives in theory I should be able to hold programmes in the ROM?

dxs

CraigsBar PM sent about Symbiface  :)

greatxerox

Abtin a répondu sur Boostez votre Amstrad CPC grâce au X-MEM.

en réponse à assoretrotaku:

Rendre plus performant un ordi rétro des années 80, cela vous tente? Achetez donc le X-MEM pour une trentaine d'euros, et vous boosterez votre Amstrad CPC. Pour les explications, je les pique honteusement au site Amstrad.eu: L'accessoire se branche directement sur le micro-ordinateur et permet d'avoir jusqu'à 512 Ko de Ram sur CPC et de [...]

Bonjour,

n'étant pas très hardware en général, encore moins quand ça touche à du génial matos antique comme le CPC, j'aimerai savoir : un tel ajout de RAM changera-t-il en l'état les performances d'une machine sur des programmes ou jeux gourmands, sans instruction particulière ou sans programme codé spécifiquement pour adresser les octets bonus ?

Merci !

TotO

Quote from: greatxerox on 14:43, 30 May 14
Abtin a répondu sur Boostez votre Amstrad CPC grâce au X-MEM. [...] Merci.

Seulement si les programmes et jeux utilisaient déjà la mémoire pour améliorer les performances.
Par example, un joueur sur 464/664 pourra accéder à la logithèque 6128.
Un utilisateur de Discology pourra enfin profiter d'un buffer plus grand pour copier en 1 passe une disquette.
Les utilisateurs de CP/M peuvent avoir l'OS stocké en ROM et utiliser un RAM Disc de 444K en drive C.

Après, le meilleur reste forcément à venir ! :)

greatxerox

Merci Rich.. euh TotO :)

Avant que tu ne répondes, il a rajouté :
"Si la réponse est oui pour le gain auto de perfs, je suis preneur direct du produit.... ya de beaux titre qui lagouillent un peu quand meme sur le 6128, comme Targhan, Savage et autre jeux riches en animations et couleurs du même acabit."

moui, en gros, est-ce que le X-Mem booste les performances graphiques ? je le comprends comme ça

TotO

The X-MEM is not a CPU/GPU accelerator. :)

Gryzor

Abtin

Hi there,
Lu @ll,

je me présente, je suis Abtin, aka Gryzor sur Amstrad.eu mais je vois que le pseudo et l'avatar sont déjà pris donc oubliez ça  ;) Feru enthousiaste de CPC,et avant toute chose permettez-moi de saluer un grand coup ce travail fabuleux que vous abattez pour faire battre chaque jour un peu plus le bon vieux coeur de nos bon vieux CPC.

Vous avez déjà eu droit au transfert de certaines de mes questions posée sur retrotaku grâce à greatxerox, me voilà avec les dernières en date , pardonnez le caractère potentiellement ultra-noob de celles-ci :

1 - Mes priorités vont aux jeux, notamment les œuvres les plus travaillées en mode 0 tel que Targhan, Savage ou Ghostbusters II. Cette carte peut-elle m'aider à charger quelques favoris en permanence sur une grosse Ramdisk et permettre ainsi de minimiser les demandes d'I/O sur les lecteurs disquette (fatalement point faible sempiternel de la bécane outre les temps de chargement) ? car il me semble avoir pensé et lu sur ce topic inclu, que les programmes sont pour la plupart codés pour requêter sur le drive A ou B et non sur autre point de stockage, ce qui pourrait invalider cette possibilité hélas... je me trompe ?

2 - Existe-t-il un tutoriel pas à pas pour les nullos détaillant les manipulations relatives au flashage de ROMs custom comme Parados ou des OS comme Symbos ?

3 - Une fois l'extension installée, les programmes tels que Discology exploitent-elles seules les octets supplémentaire déclarés ou faut-il les pré-allouer avant de lancer le programme ?

4 - Est-il possible de charger directement des programmes ou jeux via l'explorateur de Symbos ? ce serait juste le pied  ;D

Merci pour vos réponses et désolé d'avance si elles paraissent rébarbatives de simplisme. :(

Salutation