News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MEM, a new memory expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 20:41, 26 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 11:25, 30 July 14You can buy an EPROM eraser for the cost of the postage to Ireland and back.
For the same delay, I will retry the free Sun power first.  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Ast

Sun power ? But it's rainning today  :P

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

TotO

Yes, it's the problem since... 6 months.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

dcdrac

got mine but will be at work between now and Sunday away from home will test it Sunday night I hope

dcdrac

Had a quick go got detected, installed the software now all I need to do is learn how to burn a rom to it that I have to wait til Sunday for...

TFM

How to install a ROM? (Well you need the great new super firmware switched on and then...)

Type this:

MEMORY &3FFF
LOAD"EXAMPLE.ROM",&4000
CALL &B8DD,&4000,6

In this case the ROM gets installed to position 6. If you want another number change the "6" in the last line.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Update your firmware to 3.15 TFM !!!
It's possible to simply use |FLASH,"EXAMPLE.ROM",6 instead. ;)

TFM

Thanks!

BTW: Can someone confirm that romam 2.0 runs with the X-MEM? Kangaroo tells that it does, but I have doubts for reasons of SDP.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

I have to replace the flash IC from Winbond to SST after the need to return 20 "defectives" chips...
As, I was not able to wait 1 month for the exchange.

That means, the FW3.15 and the provided tools support both chips, as well as Megaflash and FlashGordon boards.
So, if you said to encounter problem with ROMAN and SDP, I suggest that tool only support SST IC.

CPC_Fan

Sorry to be a pain TotO, but I was just wondering when you was thinking of opening the store again? I know that you said before that it will be in august, but if you could give me a heads up, I can try and make sure that I have the money put by to order a X-Mem.

TotO

CPC_Fan

Ok. Thanks TotO and sorry for my impatience.

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 07:54, 01 August 14
I have to replace the flash IC from Winbond to SST after the need to return 20 "defectives" chips...
As, I was not able to wait 1 month for the exchange.

That means, the FW3.15 and the provided tools support both chips, as well as Megaflash and FlashGordon boards.

Does this mean that some X-MEM have a Winbond and some have a SST Flash?

TFM of FutureSoft

SyX

Quote from: TFM on 21:29, 01 August 14
Does this mean that some X-MEM have a Winbond and some have a SST Flash?
Yes, and the next release could have even a different flash chip, for the user is not important the technical details while the flash program works perfectly :)

TFM

Thanks! Well, it may not be important for all users, but for sure for all programmers of the X-MEM. That's not only ROManager coders, maybe it's time for a Flash-Disc or other stuff. IMHO it's good to make information available for anyone who likes to contribute.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Pentagon

Hello friends,

i have a question please. How can i kill the "Firmware 3.15" Lower Rom and Rom 0 in my X-Mem and how can i turn it to a real CPC464?
I like to flash the "cpc464.rom" into lower rom and i like to flash the "basic 1.0" into the rom 0 place. But i really dont know how to do that. There is nothing about that problem in the help.txt

If the x-mem is turn to CPC the usual CPC6128 with Basic 1.1 should power up, if it is turned to X-mem the real CPC464 with Basic 1.0 and Tape commands should power up.

Is that possible to do with x-mem? Is there an english wiki or help documents about the Flash commands and how to especially access the lower Rom parts?

Is it possible to flash headerless 16kb ROM Files into Lower Rom and ROM 0 too? I dont have Basic 1.0 and 464.rom as 17kb files.

@TFM:
I can confirm that Roman 2.0 really works with X-Mem too. But you need to kill ROM1 with firmware exp. first. If ROM1 is empty ROMAN 2.0 is working. It doesnt work together with the Firmware exp rom.

Kindly Regards and thank you very much for your kind help.
Tom

TotO

Sure you can by flashing ROM 71 (464 firmware) and ROM 64 (464 BASIC).
The best is to use the tools from the SIDE B of the floppy. There was made for! :)

The RUN"INSTALL" process will ask you the wished BASIC (1.0 or 1.1) and your keyboard layout (EN/FR/SP).
Then, that will automatically install the good files. Nothing more to do.  8)

Pentagon

Thank you so much, that helped a lot and it worked. Now i have a real working CPC464 at a usual 6128. So it should play the original sorcery tape now.

Merci!
Tom

TotO

You are welcome!

The X-MEM was made for that. Have fun!!!  8) 
(you probably missed the end of the README.TXT file. ;) )

Pentagon

Another Noob question, please forgive  ;D

It's not possible to switch off ROM 7 to get a pure CPC464 without Amsdos, cause the internal CPC6128 Amsdos ROM7 is always be initialized?
Or does anybody know a special hint to switch off internal and external #07?

Sorcery Tape doesnt work with Amsdos together  :(

Thank you very much for help
Tom

TotO

Sadly, the 6128 not allow to disable ROM7.

It's strange to read that Sorcery not run because AMSDOS is installed.  :-\ 
I have to investigate about that. It's not X-MEM related. (but software)

EDIT:
May be disabling AMSDOS with some pokes...

Pentagon

No this issue is not X-Mem related, it's a software problem with the 464 Sorcery tape. The Flash loader crash at the first headerless part loading. Same at the real CPC464, you can't load the tape with a plugged DDI-I Interface. If you plug off and just run a pure unexpanded CPC the tape loads fine. I do have an very early 1983 CPC464 Board to confirm and an 1985 CPC6128 with X-Mem and internal SD-HxC.

There are some other games like "Country Cottages german" or "Quiwi" running on pure 464 only.

The X-Mem is running fine, your guys are genius. Thanks a lot for that awesome piece of hardware.

Merci
Tom

TotO

Thank you for those informations.
I will keep you informed if something can help to run your original game. :)

TFM

Quote from: Pentagon on 20:54, 06 August 14
It's not possible to switch off ROM 7 to get a pure CPC464 without Amsdos, cause the internal CPC6128 Amsdos ROM7 is always be initialized?
Or does anybody know a special hint to switch off internal and external #07?

Sure. Install f.e. X-DDOS at position 6. Then enter "!ROMON" without parameters, the result is a CPC with only BASIC (ROM 0) initialized, but not ROM 7 (or any other ROM).

TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 22:37, 06 August 14

Sure. Install f.e. X-DDOS at position 6. Then enter "!ROMON" without parameters, the result is a CPC with only BASIC (ROM 0) initialized, but not ROM 7 (or any other ROM).
I believe utopia and/or protext do the same.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode