News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MEM, a new memory expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 20:41, 26 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Ok, I'm a hardware novice.  :(  What do they fight for?  :-X
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Quote from: TFM on 16:38, 05 November 14
Ok, I'm a hardware novice.  :(  What do they fight for?  :-X

The right to be 0 or 1.

Bryce

MaV

Interestingly enough, the Z80 does the same on the chip die:
Ken Shirriff's blog: Down to the silicon: how the Z80's registers are
Read: How the registers are implemented in silicon

Also, the foot note states that this is common practice:
Ken Shirriff's blog: Down to the silicon: how the Z80's registers are

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

awergh

So my X-MEM arrived  ;D unfortunately I am limited to tape games for the moment because I have no way of attaching both the DDI and X-MEM yet. Edgegrinder and Shinobi work so all is good but I noticed that Switchblade wouldn't work with the X-MEM plugged in and instead the tape would just stop without the intro showing up.

Also how many games are there that take advantage of 128k but are also on tape?

Carnivius

Quote from: awergh on 13:20, 06 November 14
I noticed that Switchblade wouldn't work with the X-MEM plugged in and instead the tape would just stop without the intro showing up.

Is this true?  That's one of the games I wanted extra memory for (to have the awesome music). 
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

CraigsBar

Quote from: Carnivac on 13:21, 06 November 14
Is this true?  That's one of the games I wanted extra memory for (to have the awesome music).
I'll check this tonight on my 464plus and x-mem.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Turn off the new firmware and give it another try. Also becareful with 464 and 6128 selection.

X-MEM itself can NOT have any negative impact on games, because it just provides space in RAM and ROM.
it's about what you put in ROM and how this works with other stuff.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Ast

Quote from: Carnivac on 13:21, 06 November 14
You can ear this fabulous music in this demo

Hope you'll enjoy it.

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

CraigsBar

Well my Cpc 6128 with x-mem just loaded switchblade from tape perfectly. The 464plus failed with or without the x-mem. I guess you use the cart version there! Damn these plus machines are far more tape sensitive that the old generation.

TFM

Well, I may remember wrong. But it runs on my 6128 Plus from Disc at least.

TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 21:36, 06 November 14
Well, I may remember wrong. But it runs on my 6128 Plus from Disc at least.
yeah, Same here. It seems to be that the plus machines have far less flexability on the quality of the audio signal from the tape. The same tapes work fine on my cpc 6128 but are far more temperamental on the plus machines (Either my 464+ or 6128+).

Breaking Baud for example will load and run perfectly from my home made tape and the radioshack voice recorder, but the same tape recorder, and tape on my 6128+ will fail 99% of the time.

commercially duplicated tapes work fine on all machines but it seems that the plus machines are less forgiving somehow.

CDT's load from a car adaptor from either my Mac or Android tablet/Phone. so I guess perhaps the volume level or background noise that is always present on self recorded tapes is part of the problem

Craig

awergh

Well I had it set to 464 and to boot from CPC when I tried to load switchblade from tape on my 464. Might have another look when I get home.

CraigsBar

Quote from: awergh on 21:52, 06 November 14
Well I had it set to 464 and to boot from CPC when I tried to load switchblade from tape on my 464. Might have another look when I get home.
As FW 3.15 has no Tape support in order to load from tape you will NEED to boot from the CPC Firmware.

TFM

Exactly. Especially if a game may use routines out of the firmware directly.

TFM of FutureSoft

EamonShoot

Please excuse my ignorance here, but I have a couple of newbie questions I hope this great community can help me with:

1. Can you let me know where I can get an X-MEM floppy disk image from? Mine was working OK but now has many read errors - it isn't my drive as this has recently been replaced with a new 3.5" one and other discs are working fine. I can't find one on the support page of the centpourcent website.

2. I have installed PARADOS.ROM in ROM position 6 and this seems to show up fine in MONITOR, plus typing |HELP,6 shows the RSX commands ok. However, how do I get ParaDos to actually run/work when I boot the machine? If I type |DRIVE I just get BAD COMMAND. In fact, how do you get any ROM (e.g a game) to run once it has been installed in a ROM slot?

Many thanks for your help!

CraigsBar

Quote from: EamonShoot on 00:00, 17 November 14
Please excuse my ignorance here, but I have a couple of newbie questions I hope this great community can help me with:

1. Can you let me know where I can get an X-MEM floppy disk image from? Mine was working OK but now has many read errors - it isn't my drive as this has recently been replaced with a new 3.5" one and other discs are working fine. I can't find one on the support page of the centpourcent website.

2. I have installed PARADOS.ROM in ROM position 6 and this seems to show up fine in MONITOR, plus typing |HELP,6 shows the RSX commands ok. However, how do I get ParaDos to actually run/work when I boot the machine? If I type |DRIVE I just get BAD COMMAND. In fact, how do you get any ROM (e.g a game) to run once it has been installed in a ROM slot?

Many thanks for your help!
The Bad Command is because there is a bug in the Expansion rom for the RamDisc. There is a fixed version which TotO provided to me in this thread somewhere. OR if you rerun the install turning off the RamDisc until this new EXT rom is included on the next disc image release then this also fixes it...

On Second thoughts I am sure the guys will not mind me uploading a DSK copy of my XMEM disc that has the fixed EXT rom included. You only need to replace side 1 but both sides are included purly for completeness.

Craig

EamonShoot

Quote from: CraigsBar on 00:40, 17 November 14
The Bad Command is because there is a bug in the Expansion rom for the RamDisc. There is a fixed version which TotO provided to me in this thread somewhere. OR if you rerun the install turning off the RamDisc until this new EXT rom is included on the next disc image release then this also fixes it...

On Second thoughts I am sure the guys will not mind me uploading a DSK copy of my XMEM disc that has the fixed EXT rom included. You only need to replace side 1 but both sides are included purly for completeness.

Craig

Craig - thank you - Parados now appears to be working correctly with your patched disk. I really appreciate your prompt support  :D

Regards

Fernecho

Hi all,

Here I have some photos of the extension that I have for my Amstard CPC 464:

img1

img2

img3

Here detail of the cable  I made, and the extension connector, the DDI-1 Clone is connected to pass through the MotherX4 Main Board

img4

img5

And the Zilog, if i have problems with the z80 of my CPC, but so far i have not noticed any problems.

img6

It is a perfect combination for 464.

Now i ned some binoculars to see the monitor screen  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CraigsBar

Quote from: Fernecho on 12:12, 05 December 14
Hi all,

Here I have some photos of the extension that I have for my Amstard CPC 464:

img1

img2

img3

Here detail of the cable  I made, and the extension connector, the DDI-1 Clone is connected to pass through the MotherX4 Main Board

img4

img5

http://www.subirimagenes.com/fondosycapturas-img6-9188321.html

It is a perfect combination for 464.
I cannot help but notice 2 missing 'essential' peripherals. You need to get a PlayCity and a minibooster too [emoji6].

Otherwise a sweet collection of boards.

Fernecho

Quote from: CraigsBar on 12:22, 05 December 14
I cannot help but notice 2 missing 'essential' peripherals. You need to get a PlayCity and a minibooster too .

Otherwise a sweet collection of boards.

Is the following in my wishlist.

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

remax

Quote from: TotO on 19:40, 20 October 14
Replacing a clone CPU with an original Zilog not conflict with "how it was", has there was used too.
On 100 X-MEM sold, only 2 peoples got the problem. And it was fixed like that.  :-*

What were the problems ?
Brain Radioactivity

TotO

Some clone CPU are to strong to see the /MREQ signal forced by the X-MEM CPLD, so the RAM don't work properly.
That is solved using the orriginal Zilog Z80.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

TotO

Hey!

Today, I have seen that Chany (NPS) has released a ROM tool for managing the X-MEM ROMs, with a demomaker look!
You can test it from the cpc-rulez link: CPCRULEZ &#9733 APPLICATION &#9733 UTILITAIRES (FREEWARE) &#9733 X-MEM FLASHER