News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MEM, a new memory expansion for all CPC.

Started by TotO, 20:41, 26 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

The site is blocked here, can somebody please upload?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

It look that download was removed to fix some things.
Keep tuned!
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Hi! Thanks for sending me the FLASHER.  :)  It looks really great! But yes, it doesn't show the list of ROM properly, so I hope we get an update soon! Great look though!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Look to be put online by mistake... It was for a private test.  :-\
(not a final version. Please, don't use it if you made the download)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

He can take a look at the ROManager 1.8 to see how to find ROM name addresses and so on. But I guess it's more fun for him to do everything by himself. At least I would do it that way. We can look forward to a really beautiful FLASHER tool, it seems to contain all needed functions.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

dirtybb

Quote from: TotO on 20:45, 22 January 15
Look to be put online by mistake... It was for a private test.  :-\
(not a final version. Please, don't use it if you made the download)
Hi,
It seems to be released now :)

CPCRULEZ &#9733 APPLICATION &#9733 UTILITAIRES (FREEWARE) &#9733 X-MEM FLASHER

TFM

Can you please upload it here. I can not access this site from USA. (suxx).
TFM of FutureSoft

dirtybb

TFM

Thanks!!!  :) :) :)

EDIT: Sadly it's still buggy in showing the ROM list (main menu).

TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

And it does not seem to work at all on a plus
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CPC_Fan

Finally been able to order my mother x4 and x-mem boards today. Hopefully it won't be too long before TotO can build them and send them out to me  :)

CPC_Fan

Received my Mother X4 and X-Mem in the post this morning. I am impressed with the quality of your work Tot0. Thank you for your time and trouble in producing them for the benefit of us all  :)

I have a quick question though. Do I have to actually install any X-Mem software first, or do you ship it 'ready to run' as such? I only ask, as I have quickly tried it out once and all appeared ok. However when I tried it again, my 6128 just hung. I have a switchable Amsdos/Parados ROM that Bryce made for me, installed in the 6128's mainboard, as a replacement for Amsdos. It doesn't matter what DOS it is set to, I still get the same problem of the CPC hanging. Also I couldn't get into Parados using the |drive command when the X-Mem worked briefly the first time. The 6128 just came back saying "bad command"

Any ideas of what the problem might be?

TotO

Thank you for your kind message.

If all worked the first time, strange that no more work. Please, try the X-MEM alone to see if all goes fine.
By default, all the switch are set to the right. The board is programmed with FW3.15 + EXP ROM, with QWERTY keyboard and 448K RAM Drive.

CPC_Fan

Ok Tot0 I will try the X-MEM alone. I forgot to add that I have a 3.5 inch drive as a second drive, powered from the 5v power supply from  my CTM-644 monitor. Do you think that that could be affecting it at all? Also, I couldn't call up Parados the first time either, using the |drive command.

TotO

Yes, it should be the problem. The +5V line is not intended to be used with a floppy drive.
You may try to add a +5V PSU to the MotherX4 for testing. (or unplug the floppy drive power to see if the CPC boot again)

CPC_Fan

Ok will try that as well, as I have a separate spare 5v supply of the correct rating that I can use. Although the monitor does seem quite happy with supplying the 3.5 inch disc drive and CPC on it's own, without the mother x4 board and x-mem plugged in as well ???

Thanks for your help and advice so far Tot0

CraigsBar

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 11:56, 11 March 15
Also I couldn't get into Parados using the |drive command when the X-Mem worked briefly the first time. The 6128 just came back saying "bad command"

Any ideas of what the problem might be?
For the bad command, its because the provided lower/basic ROM does not pass |drive on to parados. If you search the thread you will find a fixed version attached here somewhere. If you cannot find it I'll dump it from my xmem tonight, but I a playing house removal guy today.

CPC_Fan

Ahh I see. Thanks Craig. I will have a look through the thread to see if I can find it.

Next stupid question: Can I erase just one ROM image at a time from the X-MEM, or do I have to eraser the whole lot in one go? What program do I use and how do I do it? Sorry for asking, but I can seem to find how to do it in either of the get started notices.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 16:28, 11 March 15
Ahh I see. Thanks Craig. I will have a look through the thread to see if I can find it.

Next stupid question: Can I erase just one ROM image at a time from the X-MEM, or do I have to eraser the whole lot in one go? What program do I use and how do I do it? Sorry for asking, but I can seem to find how to do it in either of the get started notices.
the flasher on the disc will let you do it.

CPC_Fan

I have found the bug fix dump on this thread  :)

I did see the flasher tool on the disc Craig. However I am still not sure how I erase one/all of the ROM'S? What command do I use and what exactly do I type??

Sorry for being so thick, but this is all new to me.

TFM

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 16:49, 11 March 15
I did see the flasher tool on the disc Craig. However I am still not sure how I erase one/all of the ROM'S? What command do I use and what exactly do I type??

Hi there!  :)

Maybe I can help you a little bit with the X-MEM.... I created a ROManager for it, which contains a lot of functionality. And of course things like erasing single ROMs. The DSK can be found here:

http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/ROManager_1.87.zip

The DSK has a .TXT file which gives you additional information to the online help of the application.

Well, I have to admit that (at the moment) it only runs under FutureOS, which can be found here:

http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/FutureOS_System_.8_Preview!!!.zip

Also check the CPCWiki for "ROManager" if you like.

TFM of FutureSoft

CPC_Fan

Thanks for the tip and pointer TFM. I will have a look at it and FutureOS later, once I have had a chance to become familiar with and used to the X-MEM.

In the meantime, does anybody know how I use the flasher tool that comes with the X-MEM disc, to erase a single ROM image? I.E what command do I use?

CPC_Fan

Quote from: TotO on 13:34, 11 March 15
Yes, it should be the problem. The +5V line is not intended to be used with a floppy drive.
You may try to add a +5V PSU to the MotherX4 for testing. (or unplug the floppy drive power to see if the CPC boot again)

Right. I've powered the external 3.5 inch floppy drive on it's own with my 5v psu, plugged the X-MEM in on it's own and it all seems to be working fine. The only thing that I haven't tried is powering the external floppy drive on it's own, with the X-MEM plugged into the Mother X4 board. This is because I am worried that I will bend a pin again on one end of the X-MEM connector, as it seems very hard to line them up with the pins on the Mother X4 connector.

Thanks again anyway Tot0.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 16:49, 11 March 15
I have found the bug fix dump on this thread  :)

Sorry for being so thick, but this is all new to me.
OK, so you run flasher, and it loads to a screen that lists all the room slots. To delete a specific slot (eg 10) simply type

del 10.

Slot 10 will then be deleted.

Craig