Guess which community will survive the apocalypse...

Started by VincentGR, 11:59, 07 January 20

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Bryce

The corny accent got on my nerves in the first thirty seconds and I hit stop.

Bryce.

mr_lou

And there we have it!!! The explanation of why all scifi movies from the 60s and 70s and 80s showed a future where everyone were using seemingly old computers.  :)


GUNHED

After the apocalypse (ok, probably it will rather be some kind of ekpyrosis) then the first question is: Which kind of hardware will survive? And the answer to that is: CPC6128 and GenieIIIs (cause they got cool metal shielding and other advantages. Now the software: It will be FutureOS.  ;D
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2022.03.09)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

mr_lou

After the collapse, this will be the main style of the demoscene.  :)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCIsIfEOEI8


ComSoft6128

#7
I'm already in a bunker, along with a 6128, a 6128 Plus a couple of Romboxes with CPM and a portable generator.
So all this speculation is futile - when the last screen flickers and dies on this planet it will read:
"CP/M Plus Amstrad Consumer Electronics plc"

Oh! I forgot to mention the 500 cans of haggis as well....and when they have all been consumed ....there is always........ :o The Neighbours! :o

VincentGR

Now that's a fine idea for a game:
Let's eat the neighbors  ;D

ivarf

Lame video, but it brings up an intersting topic. How can we store software that will withstand a nuclear war? Maybe a new project, storing all CPC software and firmware on a metal punch cards? But will the computer chips survive a powerful EMP like one from a nuclear bomb blown up high in the atmosphere - HEMP?
Anyway, I like the text introduction to the video: "I have a NEW channel ► "Meet, Arnold!"

mr_lou

Quote from: ivarf on 17:37, 12 May 20
Lame video, but it brings up an intersting topic. How can we store software that will withstand a nuclear war? Maybe a new project, storing all CPC software and firmware on a metal punch cards? But will the computer chips survive a powerful EMP like one from a nuclear bomb blown up high in the atmosphere

Wouldn't the optical discs survive such a thing?

Bryce

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:19, 12 May 20
Wouldn't the optical discs survive such a thing?

It's a stupid scenario anyway. If anything survived, then it's technically NOT the end of the world.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 20:59, 12 May 20
It's a stupid scenario anyway. If anything survived, then it's technically NOT the end of the world.

An apocalypse doesn't have to be the end of the world. It can also just be something really destructive and damaging, like an EMP.
And optical discs would survive such a thing - I think. So hurry put all your data onto optical discs! M-Disc will last 1000 years!

tjohnson

Discs, but what would you read them on and how would power it.   Paper and pencil is probably the best form of archiving.  Talking of pencil someone told me a story about the Fisher space Pen that the US spent a fortune developing, when the Russians were asked how they wrote in space they said we use pencils.

VincentGR

Quote from: tjohnson on 22:38, 12 May 20the US spent a fortune developing, when the Russians were asked how they wrote in space they said we use pencils.


That's a rumor  ;D

mr_lou

Quote from: tjohnson on 22:38, 12 May 20
Discs, but what would you read them on and how would power it.

Battery-driven player on battery-driven display?

ivarf

But would the microchips survive? What kind of electronics would survive? Would pretransistor tech survive the most powerful EMP? Surely a CPC based on WW2 tech would need a room to fit. It would take some time to develop a reader capable of reading those optical discs too. As long as one CPC and monitor survived in each town we would be fine. LOL

mr_lou

Buy or build yourself a couple of Faraday cages and store some essential electronic devices in there. :-)

GUNHED

Farady cages? One can make them from the barrel of a washing machine. The also work well as fire pit.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2022.03.09)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Bryce

Quote from: mr_lou on 21:18, 12 May 20
An apocalypse doesn't have to be the end of the world. It can also just be something really destructive and damaging, like an EMP.
And optical discs would survive such a thing - I think. So hurry put all your data onto optical discs! M-Disc will last 1000 years!

True, however, the video is titled is "This secret operating system will survive the end of the world", not apocolypse.

Quote from: ivarf on 22:56, 12 May 20
But would the microchips survive? What kind of electronics would survive? Would pretransistor tech survive the most powerful EMP? Surely a CPC based on WW2 tech would need a room to fit. It would take some time to develop a reader capable of reading those optical discs too. As long as one CPC and monitor survived in each town we would be fine. LOL

Anything with semi-conducting material - modern diodes, transistors and chips die from EMP, but it has little effect on valves, resistors, inductors and capacitors.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 10:03, 13 May 20
True, however, the video is titled is "This secret operating system will survive the end of the world", not apocolypse.

Well I was looking at the title of the thread, not the video.  :P

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod