News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Introducing myself

Started by Seob, 00:31, 01 March 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Seob

Hi,

Just a little introduction. My name is Seob. I'm a Dutch videogame/computer collector. I signed up to this forum today because i read a thread on a other forum about the gx4000 multicart.
I bought a gx4000 a few years ago on a retrofair. It had a little beatup box, and only one controller, with broken cord. I shortend the cord and now the controller is working again.
But since i only have 1 game for the system, the packin burnin rubber, i hardly play it.
I knew it was difficult to get hold of the games, but i bought it because my first computer was a Schneider cpc464.
We bought that machine in 1986 i think, because one of my friends had one. We bought the version with a monochrome display.
He said i could borrow his games, but after getting the machine, his dad didn't agree. So i was stuck with 1 game, rick dangerous, and the games from listings in magazines.
Later i when i was in england to do a internship, i had a friend in England who had a Amstrad cpc464, that was in 1994, and i played often on his machine.
Later when we bought our first pc, the Schneider went to my cousin.
When i started to collect, i asked him if he had the Schneider, but he didn't remember where it went to.
Since the cpc464 didn't sell very well in the Netherlands, we bought our machine in Germany, it is very difficult to get hold on a new cpc464. Tried a few c64 with a other collector for a cpc464 but somehow that deal never took off.

ZbyniuR

Welcome Welcome. :)

So what kind of computers were more popular in Netherlands than CPC ?
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 01:46, 01 March 15
Welcome Welcome. :)

So what kind of computers were more popular in Netherlands than CPC ?

The Netherlands went mad for the MSX. Which means they know exactly what it's like to suffer from Speccy ports!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

ZbyniuR

Oh yeah, Philips I guess. :)
I don't think suffer is right word, graphics in MSX is the same, plus hardware sprites and little bit other pallets, so ports from Speccy lose nothing. With CPC was much worse situation.

Seob

No the msx had the benefit of Konami games. They produced some of the best msx games.
It's one of my favorit 8 bit systems. 2 weeks ago i put a floppydisk emulator in one of my msx machines that had a broken diskdrive. Best 18 euro spent.

MacDeath

Quoteso ports from Speccy lose nothing.
it looses from the simple fact MSX1 or CPC have superior graphical capabilities that simply can't get exploited via straight speccy ports.

anyway...

If you want to find some 8bit Amstrad, search in France instead.
Northern France is not too far away from Netherland and our presidant is called Hollande (dead giveaway I guess).

You really should dig for a CPC6128 or a 6128PLUS perhaps...
they are the best items you can find from the range.
CPC6128 is actually the best model, no PLUS but can run tapes and Disks, get extra RAM and is the most standard model.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 05:16, 01 March 15
Oh yeah, Philips I guess. :)
I don't think suffer is right word, graphics in MSX is the same, plus hardware sprites and little bit other pallets, so ports from Speccy lose nothing. With CPC was much worse situation.

Having now owned a Sony Hit Bit 75 for a month now I disagree. MSX suffers from some of the worst ports you can imagine. Not only are they slower than the Spectrum but some are so lazy they even leave in the Sinclair joystick options in the menu!

I reviewed Chiller on Youtube this week and in that case its a port from the CPC and uses the hardware sprites. Far better. But many ports completely ignore the hardware sprites and run slower (e.g. Milk Race). So exactly the same situation as the CPC as regards to under using the hardware and slower gameplay.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Hi Seob,
     welcome to the forum. I own a Sony HB-75P, great computer (bought from a Dutch guy). Avoid the ports, there's some really great originals for the MSX, especially on cartridge.

Bryce.

MacDeath

MSX1 was quite a failure when it comes to horizontal scrollings, and many speccy ports would get into horizontal scrolling the speccyway... not sure it went as well a for CPCs.

Also, full 8x8 blocks attributes clashes ? on a MSX ?

ZbyniuR

On MSX1 yes.

Exactly the same resolution and attribute 8x8 clash colors like in ZX. 15 colors but more similar to C64 then ZX. And 32 hardware sprites 8x8 with 1 color. :)

MSX2 - It's complete different story. 512x212 in 16 colors  (512 in palette), or 256x212/256. And colorful sprites. 128KB VRAM swaping screens. Hardware acceleration for copy, line, fill, etc. A vertical scroll register. Vertical and horizontal display offset register.

It's look better than Atari ST and of course CPC.

MSX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of 8-bit computer hardware palettes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bryce

MSX2 are technically superior, but I always found them to be hideously ugly. I'm pretty sure the case designer later went on to do this... http://best-carz.com/data_images/gallery/models/fiat-multipla/fiat-multipla-07.jpg

Bryce.

Munchausen

Quote from: Bryce on 09:38, 02 March 15
MSX2 are technically superior, but I always found them to be hideously ugly. I'm pretty sure the case designer later went on to do this... http://best-carz.com/data_images/gallery/models/fiat-multipla/fiat-multipla-07.jpg

Bryce.

HAHA :D

The link doesn't work but that is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. I've always thought it looks like someone lassoed it and made it bulge. Horrible!

Though I have to say there are a few good looking MSX2 models. The problem is they're more or less impossible to find. I've always kind of wanted an MSX2, but I don't think I'll ever see one for a reasonable price.

Bryce

Strange, the link works fine for me, even the one in the quote of your post.

Bryce.

Seob

I prefer a schneider cpc464 since that was the model we had back then.

I have 3 different msx2 models, the philips vg8235, the philips nms 8245 and philips nms 8250.
The 8250 looks more like a desktop pc since the keyboard is seperate from the cpu unit. The nms 8245 the model i modded with a usb floppy emulator is a pretty looking unit i think. I don't like the looks on the vg8235.

Bryce

Other systems too (Atari / Commodore) or is the collection limited to CPC and MSX?

Bryce.

Seob

Currently i don't own a cpc.
But i do own:
Msx1
Msx2
c128
C64
vic20
atari 130xe
apple macintosh lcii
ti99/4a
zx81
amiga 500
cdtv
commodore pc20
dos pc
Windows 95 pc

Consoles
Atari
Lynx
Jaguar

Colecovision

Intellivision

Philips
G7000
G7400
Cd-i 450
Cd-i 210
Cd-i 220
Cd-i 470

Commodore cd32

Vectrex
Microvision

Sega
Master system 1 and 2
Mega drive 1 and 2
Mega cd
Game gear
Saturn
Dreamcast

Nintendo
Nes
Snes
N64
Game cube
Wii
Super gameboy
Gameboy player
Gameboy
Gameboy color
Gameboy advanced
Gameboy advanced sp
Gameboy micro
Ds lite

Sony
Ps1
Ps2
Ps3
Psp

Supervision

Megaduck

Gx4000

Think i coverted them all.

TFM

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 01:53, 02 March 15
It's look better than Atari ST and of course CPC.

CPC looks better that MSX 1
And the 6128 Plus looks better than the MSX 2

:P
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Nice collection. But it seriously lacks CPCs and later Spectrums :)

Bryce.

Prodatron

I think the design of the cases is a question of taste. When I saw an MSX TurboR for the first time I thought that it has quite an ugly design. One year later I just fell in love with it :)
From the technical side of course an MSX2 is much more powerful than a CPC Plus.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

sigh

I would love to get my hands on an MSX Panasonic FS-A1WX. I like the chunky typewriter look of the machine and it has a wonderful spec sheet.

Prodatron

Quote from: Munchausen on 09:51, 02 March 15
Though I have to say there are a few good looking MSX2 models. The problem is they're more or less impossible to find. I've always kind of wanted an MSX2, but I don't think I'll ever see one for a reasonable price.
Have a look, here you will always find MSX2 models for good prices:
≥ Vind msx2 op Marktplaats.nl

@sigh: Better watch out for a TurboR instead of an MSX2+. They have the same cases but where much more powerful. MSX2+ machines were mostly focused on catridge games, and so they only had 64KB of main memory.

TFM

Quote from: Prodatron on 23:47, 02 March 15
From the technical side of course an MSX2 is much more powerful than a CPC Plus.

That remains to be proven! [nb]from both sides[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Seob

I do not care what system has the better hardware, it's all about the games.
And for games i really like the msx, because of the konami games.

TFM

Of course... hardware is only as good as it gets used.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

Prodatron

Quote from: TFM on 20:22, 03 March 15That remains to be proven! [nb]from both sides[/nb]
ZbyniuR already posted some links, what's the problem about having a look at it?
The MSX2 is superiour in...
- screen resolution (e.g. 512x212x16 or 256x212x256) - a CPC(+) can only dream about it
- hardware blitter (copying/scrolling vram content, painting lines/rectangles, filling bitmaps, doing logical operations etc...)
- 128KB dedicated video ram with fast CPU access via VDP commands
- native realtime clock and proportional mouse support
- handling up to 4MB x 4 x ? RAM (in theory up to 64MB); the slot system allows to have 4x4 slots (each can include 4MB ram) in total
- powerful hardware expansion system ("slots") which already had a real working plug'n'play mechanism because every expansion included it's own driver in a rom; no need to install a driver after attaching a new hardware; it's fully working at once; that's still better than some modern systems...
- flexible memory banking with 4x16KB switching for the whole amount of ram (like the PCW; it's not limited like the banking of the CPC)
etc etc etc...