News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[this is weird] Commodore smartphone

Started by Singaja, 09:31, 15 July 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Singaja

Honestly I don't get the nostalgia in this:
Commodore returns as a 5.5-inch, nostalgia-powered smartphone

Bryce

There is none. They're just "milking a brandname".

They forgot to mention - "The 5.5in screen will be able to display 65million shades of brown" :)

Bryce.

Carnivius

Pointless.  You can load all sorts of emulators onto any phone of the last five or so years and slap a Commodore logo sticker on it.  And smartphones are terrible ways to play these old systems anyways since the majority of games simply don't play well with a touchscreen.   Maybe this is for a Commodore-fanatic with more money than sense. 
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Morn

Commodore was one of the main reasons the PC eventually overtook the Amiga. They did not develop the platform further and when AGA Amigas were finally released, it was already too late as PCs with VGA almost had the same graphics capabilities.

Maybe C64 and VIC-20 users would be nostalgic for Commodore, but I think Amiga users realize that Commodore ran the Amiga's technical superiority into the ground. So thanks for nothing, Commodore!  :)

Then again they call this the PET phone, so obviously they are targeting late '70s/early '80s Commodore users, not the Amiga crowd.

Bryce

If it ran on a 6502 I'd be impressed :)

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Singaja on 09:31, 15 July 15
Honestly I don't get the nostalgia in this:
Commodore returns as a 5.5-inch, nostalgia-powered smartphone

Guess they just put some name on an outdated piece of technology. Well in this case it somehow fits.  ;) :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Atari wanted to do the same (and more - they had a huge line up with different devices) and went nowhere, which is where this one will go, too.

Sure, I'd love a CPC-branded phone IF it had good specs, looked good and was offered at a good price, but this? A mid-range Chinese OEM? Nah...

And of course the matter of games - you just can't play on touch screens. Now, if they were clever enough to offer some peripherals...

MacDeath

The Zombi brands are back from death and oblivion...

can't wait for a new Amstrad Bread Maker...

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Bryce

Such a shame. The entire 10 minutes of photoshopping a Commodore phone gone to waste! :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Seriously, it'd be great if they included a filter that muted all the colours. Or a CPC phone displaying only bright, primary ones :D

AMSDOS

Makes sense to me.  :laugh:  Commodore + Smartphone = Don't Like Either.  8)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

protek

Quote from: Bryce on 10:15, 15 July 15
If it ran on a 6502 I'd be impressed :)

Bryce.
My Ericsson GH388 ran on a Z80.

Neil79

Apparently they are making an Amstrad Smartphone, it's going to have a green screen

:-X :laugh:
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Bryce

Wow, I didn't know that. I had one of those waaay back.

Bryce.

Gryzor

A couple of references I found online (but not spec sheets) do indeed mention the Z80... Heh!

MacDeath

QuoteA few months ago, Massimo Canigiani from Italy started presenting himself as
Why Am I not even surprised...  :laugh:

Damn he should have tried with Olivetti instead... greedy italians and their adulterated and cheap olive oil or fake mozzarela schemes... I am not even racist, I am French so somewhat Latin as well.  ;D

QuoteApparently they are making an Amstrad Smartphone, it's going to have a green screen
you must be new here...

:laugh:

! No longer available

robcfg

One more reason for @Prodatron to release SymbOS Mobile, hehe!

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:49, 19 August 15
greedy italians and their adulterated and cheap olive oil

It did sound a bit racist, but for this quote, Sir, and as a Greek, I salute you :D

Bryce

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:49, 19 August 15
Why Am I not even surprised...  :laugh:

Damn he should have tried with Olivetti instead... greedy italians and their adulterated and cheap olive oil or fake mozzarela schemes... I am not even racist, I am French so somewhat Latin as well.  ;D

Yeah, cause it's not like the French have ever tried doing things like stretching wine with anti-freeze, faking Champagne or anything like that! Noooo they wouldn't do that :)

Bryce.

seanb

Quote from: Bryce on 08:21, 20 August 15
Yeah, cause it's not like the French have ever tried doing things like stretching wine with anti-freeze, faking Champagne or anything like that! Noooo they wouldn't do that :)

Bryce.

I always thought it was my local bargain booze that did that after they received the stock.

I'll have to apologise to Farooq
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

Ok, sorry for those Anti-italian jokes... I am prone to that because I believe inter-european (even inter-Latin) jokes can't really be serious racism but friendly banter... but I guess this may raise undignity and grudge from some so... tell me if I cross the line or the alps.

but italian stereotypes are so fun it's hard to resist.

I know they romanized us the hard way during Celtic age (after Brennus screewed the capitolus' gooses, vaes victis...) , but the 11 Italian wars those French kings did from 1494 to 1559 (basically a 100 years war except it was 65 years... and more like pillaging than real war actually) were a bit harsh as well... thanx for our renaissance anyway.

Quotestretching wine with anti-freeze, faking Champagne or anything like that!
Wine is actually some sort of good anti-freeze, and not to be confused with frizzanti, which is both anti freeze and fake champagne.

concerning champagne, you ignorant tourist couldn't see différence between Champagne and cheap mousseux even to save your life...
Didn't english try to release a perfum called champagne ?
Anyway, what could an englishman know concerning wine anyway ? even you national drink is not from your own country (tea anyone ?).

Italian's revenge :

fun fact : in the french version of this movie, the "french knights/army" are said to be "English"...  ;D )
Also this movie may cause some retro tears to some of you... (at least for me it does)

Anyway i would love to hear all your french stereotypes and name callings if you like.

Not sure if the topic actually derailed or are we still on topic ?
Can't wait for Amiga500 slippers made in China.