News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

£15 computer

Started by arnoldemu, 12:45, 06 May 11

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

MaV

Quote from: arnoldemu on 12:45, 06 May 11
http://www.techeye.net/hardware/15-usb-pc-creator-david-braben-in-talks-with-government

Cool, and if i ever get one I'd compile Arnold for it ;)

I hope there's a chance to buy one somewhere come the day they'll introduce them to schools. :)
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

arnoldemu

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

official homepage shows how it is connected ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

redbox

I need one of these.

Gryzor

What's so special about this one? Sure, it's ueber-cute and I'd certainly want one (it's got HDMI... would make a hell of a media player probably!!), but there are lots of tiny computers out there and I know at least one engineer who can make something similar. Of course 15 quid (plus storage price, don't forget) is really great, but I think it's mostly PR...

Btw, the screen shows a web browser. Where's the network?

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Will it come with Locomotive BASIC and Sprites Alive! :-)

Looks like a nice box though, perfect for the task he wants for it if it comes with a decent educational environment that can teach the techy stuff.

AMSDOS

I'm still stumped (after reading all that) as to where it's power source is coming from. Presuming it's USB is the source of power so the thing runs on 1.5v (I'm guessing), does that mean you buy a Battery pack (AAA) with a USB plug, cause it wouldn't make much sense plugging that Computer into another Computer!  ???

Since it's a real computer with real hardware and given we're at an age now where we can produce all sorts of amazing gadgets and tiny computers, could this mean vintage computers like the Amstrad benefit?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

I wonder - is the ARM11 processor really capable of running a fully graphical desktop system??

redbox

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:27, 07 May 11
I wonder - is the ARM11 processor really capable of running a fully graphical desktop system??

I expect it's capable of running a light-weight Linux GUI.

But I don't think that's the point of this - you're supposed to program your own  ;)

MaV

It depends on the coprocessors the manufacturer puts on the ARM die. Braben's lists OpenGL ES 2.0 and H.264 decoding, so I expect it do perform well with 2d desktops as well. OTOH, a 700MHz CPU in itself should be capable of handling desktop graphics.

And networking can be added via wireless USB.

Look at the beagleboard 1 which has similar specs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKgzVYDYg_E&feature=player_detailpage#t=16s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdnDpH3543Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuVwh_VrIxk

128mb is a bit low, so a current full blown linux distribution will not work so good.

I don't think that anything like David Braben's work will be sold for 25$ at the moment.

@CP/M User: USB provides 5v and 150mA (500mA for the complete hub).

AMSDOS

Thanks don't know all that much about those Hubs, though I'd imagine the local Electronics stores would.  :)

Your Computer Programs

Ynot.zer0

I played around with one of these a few years back: http://www.gumstix.com/store/catalog/index.php
(although they were far from being £15 - they did offer a lot for the size and the ability to add on modules)

almasys

I wonder is RISC OS capable to get ported to this?

robcfg

ARM processors up from ARM2 (the first commercial version) were running RiscOS with it's fully graphical desktop system.

Here you can see RiscOS 3 in action: http://toastytech.com/guis/riscos.html
and RiscOS 4 http://toastytech.com/guis/riscos4.html

And then trere's RiscOS Open (aka RiscOS 5) and RiscOS Six. I have my A7000+ with RiscOS 4.39 and my StrongARM RiscPC with RiscOS 6.20.

The A7000+ have an ARM7500FE processor running at 48Mhz and it runs the graphical desktop while surfing the net, chatting and playing music quite nicely  8)

MaV

Quote from: CP/M User on 10:18, 07 May 11
Thanks don't know all that much about those Hubs, though I'd imagine the local Electronics stores would.  :)

Think of a hub as a node in a binary tree. The leaf nodes are the actual connectors. The hub has to guarantee that the leaf nodes receive 150 mA each up to a maximum of 500mA (depending on USB version I think).

If you're out of USB connectors on your PC you need to buy an additional hub. They usually have a power connector which you need to use to deliver the current needed to drive the usb gadgets; external hard drives for instance need a lot of current.

I don't think there's more to it (I may even be wrong). Hope that helps.

AMSDOS

Quote from: MaV on 11:39, 09 May 11
Think of a hub as a node in a binary tree. The leaf nodes are the actual connectors. The hub has to guarantee that the leaf nodes receive 150 mA each up to a maximum of 500mA (depending on USB version I think).

If you're out of USB connectors on your PC you need to buy an additional hub. They usually have a power connector which you need to use to deliver the current needed to drive the usb gadgets; external hard drives for instance need a lot of current.

I don't think there's more to it (I may even be wrong). Hope that helps.

Yep I know the ones you mean, thanks!  :)

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Quote from: MaV on 10:09, 07 May 11
And networking can be added via wireless USB.

Then you have to add that price as well. Suddenly it's not £15 but more like £30. He really should have included a networking solution.

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 04:10, 10 May 11
Then you have to add that price as well. Suddenly it's not £15 but more like £30. He really should have included a networking solution.

You're right. But that's still cheaper than any comparable solution so far.

Gryzor

Yes, I don't disagree, but after all, and if he's trying to push it to schools etc you have to consider: £15 for the machine, another £15 for the wifi adapter, a few quid for mouse and keyboard and then, of course... the monitor. Suddenly the comparison is not so fantastic in real terms. Otherwise - last week I built a PC for my sister for €120.

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:40, 10 May 11
Yes, I don't disagree, but after all, and if he's trying to push it to schools etc you have to consider: £15 for the machine, another £15 for the wifi adapter, a few quid for mouse and keyboard and then, of course... the monitor. Suddenly the comparison is not so fantastic in real terms. Otherwise - last week I built a PC for my sister for €120.

After my last post, I was thinking exactly the same.

In addition, I also don't think the ARM11 will qualify as an good educational computer.

The CPU alone is much too complex (8-stage pipeline, ARM instruction set, thumb instruction set, enhanced DSP instructions, Jazelle ... gimme a break), let alone the additional components on the chip (Opengl ES? Read a book about it, do the examples then you're just about ready to do what you wanted a month ago).

How will you ever be able to teach pupils how assembly works?

Also Linux is a few levels of abstraction above the bare metal.

If I were a kid, I'd be a little bit overwhelmed by this.

There's no denying, nothing beats the "simplicity" of 8- and 16-bit computers. And even these have had a lot more to discover than we thought.

AMSDOS

Quote from: MaV on 15:02, 10 May 11
After my last post, I was thinking exactly the same.

In addition, I also don't think the ARM11 will qualify as an good educational computer.

The CPU alone is much too complex (8-stage pipeline, ARM instruction set, thumb instruction set, enhanced DSP instructions, Jazelle ... gimme a break), let alone the additional components on the chip (Opengl ES? Read a book about it, do the examples then you're just about ready to do what you wanted a month ago).

How will you ever be able to teach pupils how assembly works?

Also Linux is a few levels of abstraction above the bare metal.

If I were a kid, I'd be a little bit overwhelmed by this.

There's no denying, nothing beats the "simplicity" of 8- and 16-bit computers. And even these have had a lot more to discover than we thought.

Unfortunately for the hardware this simple 21st Century Computer has, it appears the world has moved away from Assembly and would rather use something higher with Compiling capabilities. I noticed this computer will support Python though, and since I know someone in their teens whose used Python they made it sound like the modern day BASIC. From what I understand Python is an Interpreted language, at least some forms of it are, there maybe some Compilers out there though.

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Python is nice. I've done some simple stuff, it seems it's easy to progress with it and you can do some complicated things as well. But I have doubts as to how fast it is...