News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

a cpc's last wishes

Started by arnoldemu, 17:36, 04 May 10

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

A CPC is ready to die, and it has one last request. it wants you to run a program on it, and then it can die happy.
Which program/game do you choose?

!!! This is a funny post !!!

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Devilmarkus

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

ukmarkh

If you wanna kill it ta death, instantly... load up Green Beret.

For a slow, good death if there is such a thing... load up Megablasters 

fano

Dams ! (to make a last baby program with my beloved CPC)
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Ynot.zer0

Way of the EXPLODING fist  >:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUkwvqzO_KA

robcfg

I'd choose Zynaps for its good music.

If this is the end (for your CPC), then better do it with a loud bang!

Bryce

Definitely "Daley Thomsons Decathalon", if the keyboard is going to die anyway, then I can finally beat the keys with the uncontrolled psychotic violence required to actually win the game... And still probably wouldn't win.

Bryce.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Bryce on 22:15, 04 May 10
Definitely "Daley Thomsons Decathalon", if the keyboard is going to die anyway, then I can finally beat the keys with the uncontrolled psychotic violence required to actually win the game... And still probably wouldn't win.

Bryce.

You've given it way too much thought dude...  ;)

Bryce

Hey, I even went to the bother of building a special external keyboard just for that game back in the 80's. I used keys from a cash register, that could really take a beating. Still didn't win.

Bryce.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Bryce on 22:29, 04 May 10
Hey, I even went to the bother of building a special external keyboard just for that game back in the 80's. I used keys from a cash register, that could really take a beating. Still didn't win.

Bryce.

Sounds like the 64 bread bin your describing their, keys that could take a beating and still didn't register.  :)

cpc4eva

uve got to load up and play all the games that have sequels.........

op wolf followed by op thunderbolt
renergade followed by target renegade
rick dangerous followed by rick dangerous 2

etc etc etc :0)

ukmarkh

Quote from: cpc4eva on 00:22, 05 May 10
uve got to load up and play all the games that have sequels.........

op wolf followed by op thunderbolt
renergade followed by target renegade
rick dangerous followed by rick dangerous 2

etc etc etc :0)

Eh! Talking about Op Wolf, I played Op wolf 3 the other day in the local arcade, didn't even know it existed. Bloody good too. Is there an Amstrad CPC version?  :laugh:

Another question, and massively off topic... but how come the side scrolling in Op Wolf is really good, and the screen alive with so much colour and detail? Anyone would think the CPC didn't have a problem scrolling after playing this game. 

Gryzor

...but why is it dying? Maybe you should type in some funereal music?

arnoldemu

I would run some quality demos.

The Demo, From Scratch, boules et bits, KKB First...
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: ukmarkh on 07:49, 05 May 10
Eh! Talking about Op Wolf, I played Op wolf 3 the other day in the local arcade, didn't even know it existed. Bloody good too. Is there an Amstrad CPC version?  :laugh:

Another question, and massively off topic... but how come the side scrolling in Op Wolf is really good, and the screen alive with so much colour and detail? Anyone would think the CPC didn't have a problem scrolling after playing this game.
I took some time to look at the scrolling code. It is special for this game.

The play area is effectively split into 2 parts. The scrolling is done in software.

The top part has buildings, the bottom part only ever has a repeating background.

The scrolling is 1 byte at a time it seems. The bottom part is cleared using special code that writes the repeating background. It is only ever good for this.
It uses PUSH instructions to write data quickly to the screen in a loop.

EDIT: Upper part is tile based. There are 4 draw routines. IX points to tile indices. &100 is tile graphics pointer table.
it extensively uses stack etc to get data to poke. I think 4 routines because tiles are 4 bytes wide (not sure). Also use of 4 routines for drawing tiles moved and cutting tiles for drawing.

So upper part is redrawn completely each time.

EDIT: Top scroll @ &18b9

EDIT: Bottom scroll @ &1915.

EDIT: Sprites are drawn in the normal way. Where they are masked onto screen.
Really the tile drawing is very fast.

Sprites are never erased, the background is always drawn and they are drawn over the top.

My games. My Games

ukmarkh

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:38, 10 May 10
I took some time to look at the scrolling code. It is special for this game.

The play area is effectively split into 2 parts. The scrolling is done in software.

The top part has buildings, the bottom part only ever has a repeating background.

The scrolling is 1 byte at a time it seems. The bottom part is cleared using special code that writes the repeating background. It is only ever good for this.
It uses PUSH instructions to write data quickly to the screen in a loop.

I didn't look at the upper part.

Hi chap, what makes you think its 1 byte at a time? I've also looked at the code and am wondering how you came to this conclusion? I didn't think there were any games on the CPC that could scroll 1 byte at a time???

ukmarkh

I'm trying to arrange an interview with the programmer, so hopefully all will be revealed

arnoldemu

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:50, 10 May 10

Hi chap, what makes you think its 1 byte at a time? I've also looked at the code and am wondering how you came to this conclusion? I didn't think there were any games on the CPC that could scroll 1 byte at a time???
It's software scroll.

It's only hardware scroll that can't be done easily 1 byte at a time. For software, it is difficult to scroll 1 pixel at a time, but it's not doing that here.

Some software scrolls use LDI which is copying one byte at a time to do the scroll, but this scrolls by redrawing the tiles each time the scroll is done.
It also draws them in a shifted position, instead of drawing them and then using LDI to move them.

It does use double buffer to stop flicker, but the scroll is pure software code.
My games. My Games

ukmarkh

oops! sorry; I was stupidly confusing it with hardware scroll. Got myself massively confused there. Makes me wonder how they actually crammed everything in... clever bloody programming or what? 

Gryzor

Nice investigative work there!

The original point still stands - this is a full-colour, action-filled scrolling game...

[Edit] Oh, and we're off-topic. Again :)

Leonie

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:36, 04 May 10
A CPC is ready to die, and it has one last request.
It wants you to run a program on it, and then it can die happy.
Which program/game do you choose?

A speccy port.  :'(

arnoldemu

Quote from: Leonie on 20:34, 13 May 10

A speccy port.  :'(
Poor cpc, you want to torture it?

But well that is your choice ;)
My games. My Games

Axelay

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:21, 14 May 10
Poor cpc, you want to torture it?

But well that is your choice ;)

A speccy port?  Could be a Raf Cecco game, couldnt it?  ;D

arnoldemu

Quote from: Axelay on 09:56, 14 May 10
A speccy port?  Could be a Raf Cecco game, couldnt it?  ;D
good point. I was thinking something as bad as bionic commando.

a cecco game would be fine :)
My games. My Games

ukmarkh

Give me Stormlord any day of the week. Difficult game, only ever had the patience to complete it once.