News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Adapter Question

Started by Phil Smith, 20:39, 15 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Smith

I bought a Famicom Clone from Japan and it came with an awful cheapo Chinese adapter that I don't really want to use.

I have a couple of decent 6V adapters, they seem to slot in but don't completely go right in, leaving a bit of the metal plug visible. Daft question are these safe to use? I'm not sure what size connector it is, so would have to buy an universal adapter with multiple plugs if not.

Bryce

There are several different lengths for these connectors, so it's not really important whether a bit sticks out or not. If the polarity and voltage are correct and it can supply enough amps, then you're fine as long as it's making contact. There's definitely no safety risk at 6V.

Bryce.

Phil Smith

Thanks for your reply.

The console requires 200mA, one of the adapters states it's 350mA. I read some where if the adapter's mA is higher it doesn't matter, it's when it's less that it could cause issues....

Bryce

The amp specification is what it CAN send, the device decides how many amps actually flow. However, the manufactures of these devices are experts in overstatement, so I usually advise people to get a PSU that claims to supply about 2x what you need. The 350mA supply will probably work, it will just be closer to its limit than a 500mA supply.

Bryce.