News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Any super experts in disc burning here?

Started by mr_lou, 15:51, 17 January 20

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

While playing around with my Blu-Play homebrew stuff, I've discovered that the Xbox One console happily plays blu-ray content off of a DVD, while the PlayStation 3 and 4 does not.
In other words, I can burn a blu-ray ISO to a DVD, and XB1 is fine about it while PS3 / PS4 won't accept it.

Talking about this here and there has spawned a theory that it might be possible to make PS3 / PS4 (and other players) accept a DVD with blu-ray content if we can somehow change the "booktype" of the disc.

DVD's have different booktypes:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_type

BD's suppsedly has too.

So the theory is that if we can change the DVD booktype to "BD-ROM" then it might work.

Are there any super experts in disc burning here with an opinion on that?  :)

ImgBurn has options to change booktype, but it doesn't work with any of the burners I have.

SkulleateR

BD doesn´t have a "booktype" since all players support all BD Media  (well they should at least .... ) and there are only two types of media BD-R and BD-RE

mr_lou

Quote from: SkulleateR on 16:58, 17 January 20
BD doesn´t have a "booktype" since all players support all BD Media  (well they should at least .... ) and there are only two types of media BD-R and BD-RE

I did read that somewhere. But then I also read somewhere else that they do have booktypes.

Can you think of any other way to trick players into thinking a DVD is actually a blu-ray disc?

SkulleateR

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:02, 17 January 20
Can you think of any other way to trick players into thinking a DVD is actually a blu-ray disc?
Don´t think that this is possible ... anyway, which DVD format did you use ? Did you finalize it ? Does your PS4 play other DVD movies properly ?

mr_lou

Quote from: SkulleateR on 17:33, 17 January 20
Don´t think that this is possible ... anyway, which DVD format did you use ? Did you finalize it ? Does your PS4 play other DVD movies properly ?

It handles DVDs fine.

And it handles Blu-ray's fine.

What I want though, is for it to handle blu-ray content on a DVD. You burn a Blu-ray ISO to a DVD instead of a BD-R, and play it as a blu-ray.
(This of course requires that the ISO is small enough to fit on a DVD).

Xbox One can do this. PlayStation 3 and 4 won't.
A few Samsung Blu-ray players can also do it, but the majority of blu-ray players won't.

SkulleateR

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:37, 17 January 20
What I want though, is for it to handle blu-ray content on a DVD. You burn a Blu-ray ISO to a DVD instead of a BD-R, and play it as a blu-ray.
(This of course requires that the ISO is small enough to fit on a DVD).
I understood that already ;)

Just wanted to know which blank Media you used (DVD + R / -R / -RW and so on), also PS4 cannot handle burned DVDs that are not finalized

QuoteXbox One can do this. PlayStation 3 and 4 won't.
A few Samsung Blu-ray players can also do it, but the majority of blu-ray players won't.
Well, PS4 cannot even play Audio CDs ... so ....  :doh:

mr_lou

Quote from: SkulleateR on 17:41, 17 January 20
Just wanted to know which blank Media you used (DVD + R / -R / -RW and so on), also PS4 cannot handle burned DVDs that are not finalized
Well, PS4 cannot even play Audio CDs ... so ....  :doh:

I've tried both DVD+R and DVD-R. And they're always finalized.

I've heard the reason PS4 can't play audio CD's is because it's blocked in software, because Sony wants to push other services for audio. Doesn't sound unlikely to me. That seems to be the style these days.

SkulleateR

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:55, 17 January 20
I've tried both DVD+R and DVD-R. And they're always finalized.

I've heard the reason PS4 can't play audio CD's is because it's blocked in software, because Sony wants to push other services for audio. Doesn't sound unlikely to me. That seems to be the style these days.
it´s true because it is blocked by the firmware, they said they bring it with an update, but that was 6 years ago, so ....