News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Offering – for free – old electronics magazines

Started by the graveborn, 23:27, 30 June 18

Previous topic - Next topic

the graveborn

Greetings,

I haven't posted to this forum in years, and what I'm posting today concerns Amstrad in no way, but it may – may – be of interest to any members of this forum who're interested in old electronics...

A year or so ago my grandmother died, and I'm helping to clear out her house; amongst the things in her house are a lot of old electronics magazines; the magazines have been stored in a kind of "home laboratory" in the cellar since at least 1975 – when my great uncle to whom they belonged died – and likely a lot longer than that; although the magazines seem to have avoided being creased, being torn, and being damaged by water, in general they are dusty, have damaged covers and/or spines, and have corroded staples, and a few have notes written in them in pencil.

To tell the truth, I think that the magazines are likely of little-to-no usefulness or value – they're concerned with using components that are no longer manufactured to build receivers for broadcasts that are no longer sent... but it's anathema to me to just throw out something that may be useful- or have value- to somebody, particularly information, so I'm offering these magazines – for free – to anybody who wants them.

The magazines are located in east London; whilst I may be willing to post the magazines if you're willing to pay for the packaging and postage, I think that because of the weight of them it may be a lot less expensive to collect them.

• The Loudspeaker Manual, by "Radiotrician"; Bernards (Publishers) Ltd., London; 1948

•    
  • Practical Wireless, editor F. J. Camm:

• Vol. 24: May 1948/No. 502 and December 1948/No. 509
    • Vol. 25: February 1949/No. 511, May 1949/No. 514, and August 1949/No. 517
    • Vol. 27: July 1951/No. 537

•    
  • Practical Wireless And Practical Television, editor F. J. Camm:

• Vol. 27: November 1951/No. 541
    • Vol. 28: April 1952/No. 546
    • Vol. 29: March 1953/No. 557 and May 1953/No. 559

•    
  • Practical Television & "Television Times", editor F. J. Camm; A Newness Publication:

• Vol. 1: January 1951/No. 8
    • Vol. 2: June 1951/No. 13, July 1951/No. 14, and August 1951/No. 15

•    
  • Practical Television And Television Times, editor F. J. Camm; A Newness Publication:

• Vol. 3: February 1953/No. 33
    • Vol. 5: November 1954/No. 54
    • Vol. 6: June 1955/No. 61 and August 1955/No. 63

•    
  • Practical Television: February 1964, March 1967, and September 1967

•    
  • Wireless World:

• Vol. LVII.: January 1951/No. 1, February 1951/No. 2, March 1951/No. 3, April 1951/No. 4, May 1951/No. 5, June 1951/No. 6, July 1951/No. 7, August 1951/No. 8, September 1951/No. 9, October 1951/No. 10, November 1951/No. 11, and December 1951/No. 12

•       
    • Vol. LVIII.: January 1952/No. 1, February 1952/No. 2, March 1952/No. 3, April 1952/No. 4, May 1952/No. 5, June 1952/No. 6, July 1952/No. 7, August 1952/No. 8, September 1952/No. 9, October 1952/No. 10, November 1952/No. 11, and December 1952/No. 12

Current project: SDL2 joystick interrogator

Bryce

Extremely interesting reading, even if they are about obsolete devices made of obsolete parts. I just got my hands on some Elektor Electronics magazines from the early 70's and am reading through them this summer (yes you get strange looks on occasions).

Unfortunately I am a long way from London, but if nobody local takes them, then maybe you could weigh them and see what the postage to Germany might be?

Bryce.

the graveborn

@Bryce : There's a lot more to list – indeed, I've just updated my first post with a further twenty-four issues of Wireless World – so when I think there's no more to list I'll let you know so you can tell me what you may want and I'll try to determine the cost of packaging it up and posting it to Germany..?

Bryce

Oops, where did that "y" go to?... edited.

Bryce.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Im sure there are some retro radio / wireless / ham forums out there that might be interested.

they may be the only copies left in existence!

Bryce

I'm involved in those sort of forums too, maybe I'll ask around there. I know a few who might be interested, but they're not in the UK either.

Bryce.

tjohnson

I work at Heathrow. How far are you from there? I might be able to collect and try and arrange something to get them to Bryce

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

the graveborn

@Bryce : Thanks, that'd be appreciated!

@tjohnson : The magazines are located in Leytonstone – off of the top of my head I don't know how far that is from Heathrow.

Bryce

Quote from: the graveborn on 22:19, 05 July 18
@Bryce : Thanks, that'd be appreciated!

@tjohnson : The magazines are located in Leytonstone – off of the top of my head I don't know how far that is from Heathrow.
That's about 40km across London = 2 hours with a car, 11 Minutes with a helicopter, 54 seconds with an F14,  800ms with a space shuttle or 5 hours 37 minutes if the wife is driving.

Bryce.

Gryzor

You forgot the "3 hours if the wife is sitting in the passenger's seat", or have you found a solution for that?