News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Australia under water...

Started by MacDeath, 17:57, 03 January 11

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

Personally I prefer beer...

Hope you guys are not flooded literally, CPC's is not that waterproof... :'(

Here a little Mode1 for you... ::)

This changes radically from the usual Greeck Anarcho-terrorists... :laugh:

fano

amagad , i hope we'll get a new version of Winape and our usual great tunes after that.

Don't be that snoobish , water is good if you keep good proportions for pastis or to make ice cubes but i agree , in some countries bier is less dangerous than water :laugh:
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

AMSDOS

Perhaps, if that flood plain is where I think it is in Queensland (nobody in the media bother to show maps as to where it is), then Lake Eyre may get quite a bit of water soon.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

cpc4eva

lake eyre ???

wrong state mate thats in South Australia

with all the rain Australia has had in recent times im sure lake eyre would have had a good fill

For those who are interested or not aware the floods in Queensland have been horrific so many lives ruined but then a day or so ago I saw mudslides in Brazil that made the Queensland floods look pretty ordinary.....

parts of Victoria have been flooded 3 times in last 6 months and i thought I heard South Australia and Tasmania are flooded too so global warming / global nightmare continues as I see europe and u.k and usa have had their fair share of crappy weather conditions tooo

AMSDOS

cpc4eva wrote:

lake eyre ???

wrong state mate thats in South Australia

Yes I know that, however to have a large Inland Sea (which sits at sea level) there has to catchment for it and for Lake Eyre it's catchment extends itself into parts of Queensland!  ;D   Specifically Western Queensland and you'll find Diamantina River, Eyre Creek, Lake Koolivoo, further north in Western Queensland below Mt. Isa and South of Selwyn Range is Channel Country. Of course if there were a flood out in them parts the Media wouldn't give too hoots about it!

Since the Floods have reached Brisbane the other floods (North of Brisbane) haven't even been reported, and little has been mentioned about the Victorian Floods - how ironic. I could have told people days ago that the Loddon River was under a considerable amount of stress just by checking out the ABC Radio website and Bureau of Meterology and now people are upset because they felt the reporters have failed to act.

with all the rain Australia has had in recent times im sure lake eyre would have had a good fill

Only if it's catchment has had a significant amount.

For those who are interested or not aware the floods in Queensland have been horrific so many lives ruined but then a day or so ago I saw mudslides in Brazil that made the Queensland floods look pretty ordinary.....

I don't know - being in a flood isn't exactly some place I would want to be in, media have described the sewage and then there's the debrie and cars and trucks being played around as if they were toys. Rudd 07 had to go to Hospital because he got an infection in his leg (or foot?) just by being in the water! And of course the media will probably throw in the (friendly) Sharks, Crocodiles, Snakes & Mozzies just for good measure. But I guess a Mudslide would be pretty freeky in any account.

parts of Victoria have been flooded 3 times in last 6 months and i thought I heard South Australia and Tasmania are flooded too so global warming / global nightmare continues as I see europe and u.k and usa have had their fair share of crappy weather conditions tooo

I'm not suprised either, some of those parts of Victoria which are flooded are natural plains featuring River Red Gums. They love to be flooded every so often even though the older plants can source deep enough to find ground water. A flood in those sorts of areas is basically what a bushfire maybe to another.

Your Computer Programs

cpc4eva

cp/m user u getting ready to pay for the flood tax ??

AMSDOS

cpc4eva wrote:

cp/m user u getting ready to pay for the flood tax ??

Ironically enough I'm exempt from it! People like me don't make enough money!  :-[

Your Computer Programs

Russkie

I'll just scrape in having to pay the flood tax if I keep having to do overtime, but it should be the minimum. If it gets implemented at all.

Just today, us in Perth, were getting bushfire   warnings, and a cyclone warning (the first in 2 decades). I'm hoping   they cancel each other out and we have a nice weekend.

It seems like the whole world is falling apart.

Gryzor

...or you get a fire inferno.

AMSDOS

Australia was built on an burning regime, though other countries (or continents) are as well. Europe is perhaps one of the few exceptions, unsure since European Blackberries enjoy a burn here, though that might only work in Australia!  :-\  Since their've become a noxious pain in the butt!  :o  Oh yeah, this is part of the work I do!  8)

Your Computer Programs

steve

cpc4eva

what a day - to quote my boss at work "thats not rain, thats f***** rain"

rian pelted down in melbourne city and metro areas and i hear it was even worse in country victoria

i just made it home the road home is only a short distance about 15minutes and it was scary

police were out redirecting traffic as i got closer to home i thought the worst was behind me but i was wrong my little car barely made it it the knee deep flooded roads

my whole street is flooded and the water has crept towards my house

what the hell is going on ?

floods in victoria last year and this year

floods in queensland and cyclone this year

have our seasons changed our winter is our summer and summer will be our winter ???

dont even know if i can get to work tonight its still raining outside and is expected to be heavy rain throughout the day....

cpc4eva

PEOPLE were swept away, homes were flooded and roads turned to rivers as Victoria last night suffered an unprecedented deluge of cyclonic rain.Flash flooding hit big parts of the state, and some towns stood on the brink of evacuation during cloudbursts forecasters said were unique.
The monsoon brought chaos to Melbourne, causing widespread flooding and damage to homes.
A teenage girl was snatched to safety from a tree she was clinging to after being swept away by a torrent in Ashburton.

Families were rescued from floating cars and from homes, and 45 people were evacuated from a nursing home in Narre Warren South.
More than 100mm was dumped on suburbs - 137mm at Lyndhurst in the southeast and hundreds of homes were inundated, the fire brigade said.
Water 1.5m deep gushed through a home in Ormond.
Moorabbin and Narre Warren, in Melbourne's southeast, were the worst-affected, but the west also endured some of the biggest downpours in memory.
Hail stones the size of golf balls fell on Leopold near Geelong, and half a dozen factories were damaged in Strezlecki Grove, Laverton, when 132km/h winds swept through the suburb.

"A mini tornado hit the area for sure," factor owner Stephen Tennyson said.
"Floor-to-ceiling windows in my office are smashed, the flag pole is bent in four different angles and corrugated iron is strewn around the area".
About 30,000 households in central, western and northern Victoria were left without electricity due to lightning strikes.
The deluge was due to two cyclones: the angry tail of Queensland's killer Yasi, and the earlier Anthony.
In Richmond, Angelo Lambrinos's garage was flooded by a waist-deep torrent of stormwater.
"There was a nothing I could do," he said.
"The water was coming down the driveway like a river."
The SES had responded to more than 2030 calls for assistance, almost 1500 in Melbourne by midnight.
A dozen people were rescued from their cars, including a woman and her two children in Chelsea.
"Their car was actually floating in the floodwaters," SES spokesman Lachlan Quick said.
The deluge blocked roads including the South Eastern Freeway, shut down train and tram lines, and cut power across Melbourne.
Commuters were left stranded with at least eight Metro lines suspended and major delays at others.
Weather bureau forecaster Terry Ryan said the widespread impact of Yasi had been "unprecedented".
"Yasi has gone inland, and all the moisture is spreading southwards," he said.
"For a (cyclone) system to be so intense, so far inland, is unprecedented. We've never seen anything like it in Australia."
He said Cyclone Anthony had also contributed.
In Narre Warren South - where six houses burned down on Black Saturday - water was lapping at the front door of Steve Muir's home.
"The park at the end of the street is a five-acre lake," he said.
Mentone was virtually under water by 7.15pm com as water belted down .
Earlier, Mildura copped 112mm of rain in two hours. The SES there received over 100 calls for help. Halls Gap residents evacuated to Stawell in the face of flooding and landslips.
Extreme weather warnings were also issued last night for a number of towns in the state's northeast, including Benalla, Bright, Wangaratta and Myrtleford.
And it's set to worsen.
Falls of up to 200mm could swamp some alpine areas of the state today.
Melbourne and most of regional Victoria were warned to again prepare for flash flooding and another drenching of up to 100mm.
Parts of the northeast, still reeling from floods in recent weeks and in September, can expect up to 150mm. Rivers may again burst their banks.
The weather bureau issued flood watches on rivers across all areas except the southwest and southeastern corners of the state, and the SES urged all residents elsewhere people to prepare for the worst.
Up to 200mm was forecast for the eastern ranges near Mt Buller and Falls Creek.

MacDeath

OMG, the Aborigen's Shamans magick actually worked... !!!

More seriously this is terrible...
Good luck fellow australians...

AMSDOS

Occasionally I have a License to Burn (not in the middle of summer obviously).

Gee Whiz is a little bit wetter here now - not underwater though. Our water management is handling it fine. The nearby water bowl may have some water in it.

The weather in Melbourne is contributed to the Cyclone which passed over Queensland, where in parts of the Cyclone have broken off as it travels Inland. To see all that happening one has to look at as seen from looking at Australia from space!  :)

This explains it better!  ;D

Your Computer Programs

Russkie

No rain for us this weekend, we have bushfire trouble. The fire department told us to stay indoors, and be prepared that we may have to evacuate. I can see the flames on a hillside not too far from my house in Kelmscott.

http://www.news.com.au/national/more-than-100-flee-perth-bushfire/story-e6frfkxi-1226000957393

AMSDOS

Ouch, you're in Perth then? How's the temperature holding out over there? I heard some folks have lost their homes too! :( Hope no lifes have been lost as a result.

Your Computer Programs

Russkie

Yep, I'm in Perth. The fire isn't as close as it looks from my house,   when I look on a map. The police have the roads about 1km from my house   blocked. The water bombers are filling up at a lake about a 10 min walk   from my house, so we went an watched that for a while. Somehow it isn't as awesome watching my crappy phone camera video on youtube as it was in real life. It is 11:25pm and I can still here the helicopters and sirens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY7-cd5Tflw

Quite a few homes have been destroyed, and a lot more are still at risk, but no deaths or serious injuries so far. Well, one firefighter was hit by an ambulance, and was seriously hurt, but that is all. Rather ironic getting injured by an ambulance. It is very windy at the moment, not too hot though, mid 30's.

MacDeath

Do you have Trees or Herbs in direct contact with your House ?

Hope all will be right for you, good luck...

Sometime I do believe that the part of France where I live (Valence in Rhône alpes) is truely the piece of earth blessed by God...

Then I remember that I live in the most nuclearised place in the world (many Nuclear Power Plants... in south-Est France...

So I guess it is better we have no disasters...

cpc4eva

Quote from: MacDeath on 17:59, 06 February 11
Do you have Trees or Herbs in direct contact with your House ?

Hope all will be right for you, good luck...

Sometime I do believe that the part of France where I live (Valence in Rhône alpes) is truely the piece of earth blessed by God...

Then I remember that I live in the most nuclearised place in the world (many Nuclear Power Plants... in south-Est France...

So I guess it is better we have no disasters...

i think id go for a flood or fire anytime over a nuclear disaster.....

MacDeath

The problem is not having disasters, it is being a disaster's victim..

But of course Nuclear is a special case... completely unnatural and cannot really be healed by time (human time)...

Russkie

Hi MacDeath, so you live not too far from Lyon? My wife loves that area. She is in love with France in general, she is even taking French language classes. I should probably keep her away from French men  ;)

MacDeath

Yes, 100Km south of Lyon, i was even born in Lyon.
100km is nothing for a country like Australia... but in France we are a small country you know... it is far far away...lol.

QuoteShe is in love with France in general, she is even taking French   language classes. I should probably keep her away from French men
Don't be that insecure... ::)

Well, Australia is already away from France...

And yes, I live in the most beautifull part of the world... despite the lack of sea, coral-rift and so on...

Great food and wines... at the very hearth of Europe...
i visited some MiddleAge casttles this weekend. 8)
(betwen Lyon and Grenoble....)

>>She is in love with France...
>>I should probably keep her away from French men.

well, you can't have France without the Frenchmen... but just get closer to French girls yourself... :D

To love France always mean to get romantically involved with a french... ::)

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeath on 14:41, 07 February 11
Great food and wines... at the very hearth of Europe...

Erm... Great food? :D Just because there's that thing called 'haute cuisine', enjoyed by the rich idiots of this world, doesn't mean I'm gonna eat that smelly cheese and the pate de fois-gras  and all the rest :p

Also, you probably got the definition of 'hearth' wrong... ;)

MacDeath

From a guy who only eat feta and olives or vine leafs (sounds like a goat food ?)... :-\

well sorry I prefer all the good dishes my Lyonnaise mother grew me with... :o

No wonder the greecks are rioting... with such a simple Shepherd cuisine...

Haute Cuisine =/= Cuisine Traditionnelle et Familiale Française...

(troll mod off... ;) )