News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

BASIC and the Nintendo Switch

Started by ComSoft6128, 07:06, 23 October 19

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

AMSDOS

I'm not very familiar with the Nintendo Switch, though I'm not surprised it's BBC BASIC. :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bryce

Then be suprised, because it's not BBC BASIC, in fact it's not even remotely close. The FUZE team even state that it's not really BASIC at all as it includes commands and routines from other languages such as C and Python. The only ones claiming any association with BBC BASIC are the Wireframe authors of that article and that's probably because they're a British company.

Bryce.

AMSDOS

So this morning Aussie time, when the page was giving me "There seems to be a problem here", that was giving me more accurate information than what is currently present!  >:(

I just don't understand what a British Company would be interested in an American Language like BASIC, as I recall they were more into the ALGOL languages and BBC BASIC is sort of a testiment to it for it's use of Procedures and Functions, it even includes REPEAT...UNTIL, but lacks WHILE...WEND which is a BASIC (could be from ALGOL or FORTRAN though).

I was looking at Python earlier this year and find it seems to be a series of languages put together into Python with the likes of BASIC, LOGO, C, unsure what else was in there, the LOGO component I recall was the Turtle Graphics and it even runs as Slow as them old computers.

Your Computer Programs

Sykobee (Briggsy)

BASIC-like syntax, but with a game-oriented IDE integrated to support complex game UI issues natively/internally.

Blitz Basic (or in CPC terms, Laser Basic or Sprites Alive) for the modern age.

AMSDOS

It's very naughty of them to be coining the term BASIC, when what they have got isn't. I should have been suspecious with that Dizzy Demo screenshot with the following text to say it was written in 800 Lines, which seems to have been written up with something like Scratch.

Game engines are sometimes the extension of another language like BASIC (Sprites Alive, 8BP), or could be a package with it's own Dialect (Arcade Game Designer, Zack, Pandora or even Sprites Alive compiler), which is where the trouble starts if people start describing it as BASIC-like.  :D

Your Computer Programs