News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Best company to send a parcel from UK to Germany.

Started by ||C|-|E||, 10:09, 04 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

||C|-|E||

Hi guys!

I am going to send my 6128 Plus to Bryce to have some work done on it and I am looking for a reliable company to send the computer overseas. I do not have lots of experience sending things from UK and any help would be very welcome!

Thank you!!

:D

seanb

When I sent a PCW to Spain I used myhermes.
Reasonable price and ended up there in one piece.

If you're unsure how to do it they have an online chat that will talk you through it
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Gryzor

I've seen it referred to as MyHerpes on Twitter, I wonder why :D

EgoTrip

I usually use whatever is cheapest on parcel2go.com as long as its packaged properly it should be fine.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: seanb on 11:45, 04 May 16
When I sent a PCW to Spain I used myhermes.
Reasonable price and ended up there in one piece.

First time for everything. Baffles me why people try and save a few quid on those jokers. See so much smashed up retro gear on Twitter that was sent via Hermes. Let alone the stuff that gets lost. Drivers who only get 50p per delivery who rattle around town in their own beaten up cars (probably not insured for deliveries) piled high with parcels. Yuck. Never ever use them.

UPS everytime for overseas. You know they control their own massive logistics operation (including their own planes) and use their own employees and vans at each end. Sent a CD32 to Mexico City. Couldn't have flown there quicker myself if I'd driven straight to the airport. Have also sent a 1541 to Poland and Sony Tuner to Greece. Never the cheapest but always the best option.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

HAL6128

DHL (mid-price), Hermes (cheapest) or UPS (expansive) are good and reliable choices.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

||C|-|E||

Well, it is my 6128 Plus sent to Bryce just to have it properly checked and add some mods that I would prefer not do by myself. I was not considering to save money and risk the computer, to be honest, so maybe UPS is a good option :D I checked Parcelforce and TNT as well, they seem to be mostly OK.

TFM

Ok, DON'T ever use Hermes!!!!! I know why, but I can't post here.

Also Royal Mail is a real pain, you need packing as for WW3.

UPS should do, but is probably not cheapest.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

seanb

Sent maybe 30 items with myhermes and not one issue.
But if twitter says it's bad.
Maybe there's a reason they call it Tw*tter.

EgoTrip

Quote from: seanb on 18:17, 04 May 16

Theres dickheads in every job, even UPS probably has their rogue drivers. I've never had any issues with using MyHermes, Yodel or any of the other cheap services.

||C|-|E||

I am actually sure that 98% of the time everything is fine with all the companies  :) I would say that you pay the extra just to be covered if something goes wrong. The thing is that with the Plus I would not like to take any risk!  :D

chinnyhill10

Quote from: seanb on 18:17, 04 May 16

Good for you.  ???

As for your other comments, I will point out my own experience of Hermes (a completely smashed C16 arriving) and those of my friends who send or receive 30 items a week, not 30 items in a lifetime. But hey I'd rather believe people I've met in real life who buy a great deal of items on Ebay to sustain their business.

You get what you pay for in life. Do you want your CPC hurtling through town in the back of a battered rusty estate car or being chucked around the depot? You ever been inside a logistics depot? Do you understand the kind of overheads Hermes have to work on and the pressure on their workers to cut corners? It's your call. It's only a 30 year old machine with brittle plastic after all. And you will save a fiver.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: EgoTrip on 18:37, 04 May 16
Theres dickheads in every job, even UPS probably has their rogue drivers. I've never had any issues with using MyHermes, Yodel or any of the other cheap services.

You save that 5 quid. You take that risk. I'm only trying to save a CPC being smashed, lost, left INSIDE a bin and collected by refuse guys (Yodel did that one to me).

People get very protective of their bargains. Oh, nothing bad ever happened to me. Ever considered that you are lucky?

I've said my piece. Just trying to help but apparently some members would rather take risks with valuable equipment for the sake of a tiny saving.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

seanb

If we're only going to use a company that has zero incidents then we'll never use any company or is there that magical delivery company with a perfect record because I probably would be willing to pay the extra.

As it is I'll stick to my own experiences and not hearsay on the internet that involve stories involving "friends" (tw*tter friends or real friends) who conveniently send exactly in a week that I have sent in a lifetime.

And that UPS driver in my street must've been a one off.

I've also used collect+ that were fine though I suppose I'll hear stories about them now

I'm joking. Don't take any of my sarcasm in this post seriously. There's nothing worth getting wound up over here.  :P

I wouldn't recommend Parcel Force however.
Overpriced, unreliable and god knows what state it will end in.

robcfg

Sean actually sent me a PcW10 through MyHermes and it arrived in excellent contdition.

I've had parcels almost destroyed by DHL, but you know, it's a matter of luck.

So far, my experience with MyHErmes has been positive.

EgoTrip

You take the risk with ANY delivery company, regardless of reputation. All it takes is one bad day, one accident. Which is why I always add on the extra £1 or whatever for insurance.