News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Blu-Ray Player owners: Test something for me please.

Started by mr_lou, 22:07, 10 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

For some reason I always choose the most anti mainstream geeky projects. This time it is BD-J that has caught my attention. Blu-Ray Disc Java.
On cellphones we have MIDlets. On the web we have Applets. And on Blu-Ray Discs we have Xlets.

But I'm getting a very low framerate on a simple test. Only 5 frames pr. second.
If that's the standard, then it's not much fun. But I'm hoping it's just my player that's very old and slow. (Sony BDV-E300).

So, if you have a Blu-Ray player, 5 minutes to spare and a disc you don't mind throwing away, please test this for me:

Download this ISO: http://www.dewfall.dk/BDJ-FPS-test.iso
(Very small ISO. It only contains a simple JavaME Xlet).

Burn it on a DVD BDR with the following settings:
Datatype: MODE1 / 2048
File system: UDF 2.50

(Might also work on a normal CD, but I don't know).

BURN AT LOW SPEED!

Put the disc in your Blu-Ray player.

If it works you should see some vertical green lines moving from right to left + a picture of some Phillips G7000 game-covers in the middle.
In the upper left corner you should see "Paint FPS" and "Loop FPS".

Then post here in this thread:
1: Your player brand and model
2: Paint FPS
3: Loop FPS

Thanks a lot for your help!

If you can't get the disc working, then don't waste too much time on it. I don't know for sure if it even works on other players. Only that it works on my own.
Please post your player brand and model and that you couldn't get it running.

mr_lou

My own stats:

Sony BDV-E300
Paint FPS: 5
Loop FPS: 125

mr_lou

Hm well, the ISO appears to not work on most players. Weird that it works on mine. So I've tried making another one:

http://www.dewfall.dk/BDJ-FPS-test2.iso

If you have the time, please test this for me. Burn the ISO on a DVD, then see if it'll play in your Blu-Ray player, and report back.

Thanks.

Executioner

Can't get it to work with my Panasonic DMR-BW880, PS3 or PS4. Laptop comes up with a green screen on Power DVD and doesn't play at all with Virtual Clone Drive. Nice of you to include the source code :)

mr_lou

Quote from: Executioner on 00:39, 04 April 14
Can't get it to work with my Panasonic DMR-BW880, PS3 or PS4. Laptop comes up with a green screen on Power DVD and doesn't play at all with Virtual Clone Drive. Nice of you to include the source code :)

Thank you for testing.

I've learned some new things: Many players won't play a Blu-ray image from a DVD. So the ISO has to be burned onto a BDR instead of a DVD.
Still, it doesn't play on most players. It does work on the PS3 though, when using a BDR media.

The source code won't help you, because the trouble is definitely elsewhere.

Executioner

Unfortunately, I don't have any spare Blu-Ray recordables hanging around, and it appears you've already tested on the PS3. The source code was interesting to see some of the Blu Ray API in Java.

mr_lou

Quote from: Executioner on 01:52, 17 April 14The source code was interesting to see some of the Blu Ray API in Java.

I'm afraid it's not that simple. BD-J development uses API's from a lot of different companies. You can learn a lot here:
Your source for MHP, OCAP, ACAP, and JavaTV information |

On top of the API's described there, there's an additional BD-J specific API. So far I'm not using any of those though, because the emulator I'm using doesn't support it.

As for a source code example, you could check this out:
http://forums.qj.net/ps3-hacks-exploits-homebrew/142918-release-update-ps3-snake-1-1-a.html

It's a Snake game that runs on Blu-ray players. I've burned it onto a BDR and had co-workers test it. It works with more players than my own xlet currently does, but there are still players it won't play on.