News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Book about the CPC

Started by ukmarkh, 15:08, 11 May 09

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

CPC BOOK...

Just trying to get a little feedback as to what CPC forumites think about the size and pricing for the new book? I'm currently about 40% through... have many interviews from the old Ocean staff, Virgin and Mastertronic days. They'll be a reviews section based from 84 - 93 and takes five of the best games from each year, with comments from some of the original programmers, musicans and artists. They'll be a section that covers the birth of homebrew on the CPC, and its continued support / trend to present day.

Other ideas are currently being tusseled with, but nothing concrete as yet. 

Book:

Case Wrap Hard Cover Edition

Options

6x9 150 pages Colour - £30.46 or B/W £12.61
8.25" x 10.75" 150 pages - £24.00

or

Paper Back, perfect bound

6x9 150 Pages colour - £21.83
6x9 150 Pages B/W - £3.83

ukmarkh

Any of you kind foke know where I can get in touch with any ex Amstrad employees. I tried Cliff Lawsons old site, but all the contact details are out of date. I'd also like to talk with the likes of Roland Perry and many more??? Ambitious I know; but I'm not about to release some half hearted attempt at writing a CPC book. This book will need to be accurate, fun, but above all concise.

Any help will be much appreciated.

zeropolis79

Sounds like a good idea. It's worth trying to find Simon of Retro Revivals - IIRC, he contacted many people involved in the CPC's origins and found out many a rare piece of info.

If you like, I can give you my interviews with programming/graphic duo Dave Perry and Nick Bruty.

ukmarkh

Your CPC Book Needs You?

Articles needed for the CPC book... anything and everything related to the 8-bits and Amstrad. Please PM me with any articles you'd like featured in the book, if I can fit them all in I will.

Unfortunately I can't afford to pay anyone for these contributions, as the book will just about break even.

cheers

ukmarkh

Chapters so far:

Prologue: Amstrad engineer

1. CPC Blaggers guide:
Become an instant CPC expert - everthing you ever wanted to know right here!

2. 16 colour gaming:
High colour games are like normal games, only better looking, with beautiful Pixels.

3. Homebrew:
An depth look into home brew on the CPC.

4. CPC haters not welcome:
I think we can all guess?

5. AY essential top ten

6. Future Proof

7. Embracing the past

8. Tech close Up

9. CPC essential 50 games

10. The Scart Project, plus more
A step by step guide with full colour photo's, we hold your hand along the way.

11. Interviews
Bill Haribson (Ocean), Richard Aplin (Virgin), George (Odiesoft), and many more...

arnoldemu

Quote from: ukmarkh on 15:08, 11 May 09
CPC BOOK...

Just trying to get a little feedback as to what CPC forumites think about the size and pricing for the new book? I'm currently about 40% through... have many interviews from the old Ocean staff, Virgin and Mastertronic days. They'll be a reviews section based from 84 - 93 and takes five of the best games from each year, with comments from some of the original programmers, musicans and artists. They'll be a section that covers the birth of homebrew on the CPC, and its continued support / trend to present day.

Other ideas are currently being tusseled with, but nothing concrete as yet. 

Book:

Case Wrap Hard Cover Edition

Options

6x9 150 pages Colour - £30.46 or B/W £12.61
8.25" x 10.75" 150 pages - £24.00

or

Paper Back, perfect bound

6x9 150 Pages colour - £21.83
6x9 150 Pages B/W - £3.83
Not bad. I think I'd be more willing to go for £12 price.
any chance of a mid price, with a mixture of b/w and colour?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

ukmarkh

I've not come across anyone that offers that service... LULU only offer B/W or colour, no in between. Plus they are the only one's willing to publish the CPC Book as the others I've approached don't believe it will sell in abundance.

Gryzor

Hello mate,

So happy to see this project is still steaming onwards... If you need any help with editing do let me know :)

As far as pricing goes, since this is a unique book for Amstrad I'd be willing to pay quite a bit, actually, and the 'case wrap hard cover' edition, from the sound of it, is great at £30!

B&W wouldn't really cut it I guess, but you'd need to have a cheaper option too, so the 6x9 @ £22 would probably be necessary as well... I'd buy both I guess :D

ukmarkh

Just a quick update... the book is coming along nicely, more articles have been added and I should hopefully have a good interview and feature on R-TYPE.

Wish me luck.

Gryzor

Crossing fingers here mate.... do you have a time goal set?

ukmarkh

Yes, but I've already gone past it... the problem is, i've recieved and written so many articles, I can't fit them all into the book, as the price will rocket past £30. So I'm probably gonna call this (vol 1).

If time permits, the book should be finished for the summer... hopefully soon we'll be reading all about the Amstrad and the whizz kids of the 80's.  ;)

ukmarkh

Final note, this has been a full on, and really enjoyable experience thus far, I've learn't some pretty amazing stuff already, and the programmers of yester year have been really helpful. These guys wern't just amazing programmers, but amazing people also.

Anyway, will update shortly.

Gryzor