News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CD/DVD brute force copier?

Started by Gryzor, 13:19, 28 January 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

So I thought it was about time I archived my old CDs/DVDs - a ton of interesting stuff on them, including my first PC backup from 02/1996 :D

To be expected, several contain files that just won't get copied (cyclic redundancy check error). Strangely the discs look to be in perfect condition - no scratches, no disc rot, but I still can't copy several files.

Can anyone suggest a (Windows) program that will brute-force read and copy whatever it can? I know there used to be a few solutions but I can't find anything that looks remotely up-to-date...

Shaun M. Neary

Isobuster busted a load of a unreadable DVD's I was trying to rip to mkv a couple of years back.
It's not free, but there is a trial period (7 or 14 days) I think, so I'd recommend that.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Ah I think I do have a license for it from who knows how long ago! Does it copy files though or does it only create images?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:25, 28 January 22
Ah I think I do have a license for it from who knows how long ago! Does it copy files though or does it only create images?

It certainly does. It extracts from disks as well as ISO's as well as creating images. :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

I totally forgot that! perhaps why it didn't come to mind... cool, will give it a try, thanks!!

Gryzor

Pah, extraction is for the licensed version only...

eto

If you want to copy the files and just skip errors, Robocopy might be worth a try. It's part of Windows. I am doing all my file backups with this tool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy

Gryzor

Ha, the successory to xcopy! I didn't have a clue :D Cheers, going to try it :)

Bryce

You could try CloneCD / CloneDVD? (The one with the sheep) Copied anything I ever threw at it.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Ah thanks, will put that on the list. Right now attempting a DVD with retro magazines with "Recovery Toolbox for CD".

kailokyra

You can try several models of drives as well, not all lasers and tracking mecanisms are created equal  ;D .
Some of my discs are already unreadable, it's a good thing that you're backuping them now.

You can try with Aaru https://github.com/aaru-dps/Aaru, but otherwise maybe create an iso with Isobuster as Shaun suggested (the extraction might need a license, but I don't think the image creation does ?)

Devlin

The only other thought I can think of is putting WSL on your box and then using dd to read the data - the image would still likely have crc errors, but you'd have a *copy* of it to work with than your original discs.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Gryzor

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'm not copying the discs that show no issues, will get back to the problematic ones once I'm done with them :)

Gryzor

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:58, 31 January 22
Time to test that WSL under W11! :D

Please don't say you were silly enough to press the "Upgrade to Win11" button!  :picard:

Bryce.

Gryzor

Was going to format, thought I'd check it out first!

Bryce

Read the feedback on the interwebs, it'll save you the bother.

Bryce.

Gryzor

I have! I also have a use for Android apps though... and wsl GUI apps.

So far so good to be honest. If you ignore the slowdowns and the bt stutter with a specific mouse. And Edge insisting doing its own stuff.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 15:28, 31 January 22
Please don't say you were silly enough to press the "Upgrade to Win11" button!  :picard:

Bryce.
Oh God! Our workplace are hmming and hawing about jumping to it.
I am dreading that day.

Bryce

I only had to read the list of programs that I use that would be no longer compatible to know that I won't be touching it.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 17:14, 31 January 22
Oh God! Our workplace are hmming and hawing about jumping to it.
I am dreading that day.

AT WORK? Heck no😬😬😬 That'll be a disaster...

Quote from: Bryce on 17:17, 31 January 22
I only had to read the list of programs that I use that would be no longer compatible to know that I won't be touching it.

Bryce.

I don't have anything really heavy or complicated apart from Adobe CS, so I'm good, what wouldn't work for you?

jimmyd

Maybe take the Win11 discussion somewhere more appropriate?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:24, 31 January 22
AT WORK? Heck no😬😬😬 That'll be a disaster...

Yep... hence why I'm shitting myself at the prospect of it!