Author Topic: Coronavirus, Self-isolation and the strangeness of it all.  (Read 797 times)

Offline WiltshireWizard

• CPC464
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 11
It's a unique situation isn't it, regardless of your age. I am in my late 40s and although I remember scares regarding 'mad cow disease' in the early 90s, and other infections over the decades, there's nothing that compares to this. I also work in a care home and the residents there, some who are in there late 90s or even a 100, wouldn't even compare this situation to their experiences of World War 2.
Very strange and it can also be overwhelming for some people, affecting their mental health in terms of the enormity of it all.

As for myself, my dick of a housemate has gone out twice to the local shop in the last three days when he is supposed to self-isolate as he his showing the symptoms (dry, hacking cough etc) and I've reported him to the police. I hate selfishness. I hate people who willingly and deliberately put themselves in a position where they may cause harm to others.

*sigh* Needed somewhere to vent. Hope you don't mind.

Anyway I am actually on annual leave so my own period of self-isolation (14 days due to living with someone who has shown symptoms) ends early next week, luckily coinciding with the end of my annual leave. I am genuinely looking forward to returning to work to support my colleagues and the residents at the care home.

On a lighter note, the core group of games from my childhood that I love - Head Over Heels, Spindizzy, Get Dexter, Sabre Wulf, Mercenary, Marsport, Laser Squad, Starquake, Nonterraqueos, the 'Magic Knight' series and others, all have played a part in easing the boredom of staying in. When my Asda delivery arrives Friday (I booked the slot three weeks ago so I am lucky - there's no slots in my area for another month) and I get the bottle of Southern Comfort that I am longing for, then I am going to get drunk and try to finally beat my score on Easi-Amsword.

Offline GUNHED

• 6128 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
    • FutureOS - The quickest OS for the CPC and Plus
  • Liked: 723
  • Likes Given: 1894
Does it really take only one week to report people we know to the police - for some cough?
That's quite shocking to me! What a dystrophy!  :o

We can use this quiet time better, f.e. to think about ourselves and which values are important in life.
Or just do something you never had the time to do before and always wanted to do.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Recent update: 2019.08.07)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2019.08.14)

Offline WiltshireWizard

• CPC464
If someone has the virus and knowingly exposes the virus to somebody vulnerable and they subsequently die, please explain to me why that isn't manslaughter?

I wouldn't hesitate to report anyone to the police who acted in such a way as to put others at risk of serious harm.

Offline GUNHED

• 6128 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
How can you know that he has the Virus? The UK has 66,5 million people living there. 8200 confirmed cases.
So chances are 1 to 8100!!! Do you really thing he is the one out of 8100 ???
If yes, why don't you tell him to get a test or help him with his commuting instead of acting like the perfect citizen of a police state.
Hopefully you take my words as positive critics. We all should thing where this 'crisis' brings us and how quick we loose our moral values.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Recent update: 2019.08.07)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2019.08.14)

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 3091
  • Likes Given: 5691
Dude, not all 66,5 million people have the symptoms, gotta brush up on your statistics :D

Offline GUNHED

• 6128 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
Dude, not all 66,5 million people have the symptoms, gotta brush up on your statistics :D
Good point. However, lot's of people have the flu in these days. Have to find out how much actually. So maybe its 1 : 1000 instead of 1 : 8100 ?

EDIT: Only found numbers for Germany, here the cases of influenza are about 20 time higher than the cases of corona. Don't know for the UK thoug.

However, it's always better to support instead of report  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: 13:12, 25 March 20 by GUNHED »

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
Let's ask someone from Italy or Spain if it's worth taking the chance, shall we?

Also you assume he didn't do anything before he reported him.

Offline GUNHED

• 6128 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
It really depends which country we look at, there are huge differences:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
You really didn't get the meaning of what I said.

Offline WiltshireWizard

• CPC464
Well I am bowing out of this conversation now as I simply don't have the energy to try and convince people of the seriousness of this worldwide situation. Downplaying the gravity of this and our 'moral duties' to our fellow human beings, vulnerable or otherwise, is simply wrong.

I have been vindicated anyhow, not only by the police officer who reviewed the CCTV footage of my housemate coughing in the local shop (and not even covering his mouth) and then contacted me to state this was, in his words 'being firmly dealt with', but also by the escalation of the safeguarding guidelines that are increasing day by day according to all UK news channels.

My consience is clear that I acted appropriately.
Peace and goodwill to you all.

Offline BSC

• CPC6128
  • Yay! I became a 6128. Hope it wraps ..
    • my (Android) mobile game
  • Liked: 262
  • Likes Given: 223
I was reluctant to reply to this, but I feel for the OP who was kind of bullied out of his own thread.

Congratulations, Gunhead aka TFM, for the Troll of the Year that I personally award to you.
It is beyond comprehension to me how someone can time and again capture threads for his own agenda.
And at the same time, as is the case here, show to the world how oblivious one can be.

Kudos, or rather epic facepalm.

And now I am looking forward to your pathetic attempt at a flame war...

Offline GUNHED

• 6128 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
 :picard: :picard2:

Offline villain

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 471
Well I am bowing out of this conversation now..
That's a pity in my eyes. Because at the moment you really can't point out all this things enough.

Offline Nich

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC Game Reviews webmaster
    • CPC Game Reviews
  • Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 695
That's a pity in my eyes. Because at the moment you really can't point out all this things enough.

Indeed. I confess that I felt the threat from COVID-19 was being exaggerated in its early stages - even as recently as 2 weeks ago. I certainly feel the threat is a lot more serious now.

Offline RolandRadio

• CPC664
  • Rolandradio.net
    • Roland Radio
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
I’m home since two weeks avoiding to get outside. Buying my stuff online. Sitting in my cellar and code RolandRadio.net. So now is the time to stay at home and do those things you haven’t had time before.
Welcome to Roland Radio. We are playing the finest Amstrad CPC music 24 hours a day, seven days a week. AY around the clock. For your pleasure.

Offline WiltshireWizard

• CPC464
On a lighter note, in about a month we're going to see barber shops and hairdressers spring up with fake Halfords shop fronts.

(This joke only makes sense if you're in the UK  ;D )

Offline Bryce

• The Hardware Guy.
  • Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • It's not broken, it just hasn't been fixed yet.
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 4017
  • Likes Given: 419
On a lighter note, in about a month we're going to see barber shops and hairdressers spring up with fake Halfords shop fronts.

(This joke only makes sense if you're in the UK  ;D )

But we won't see them, because we haven't had our hair cut for 3 months :D

Bryce.

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
Must find where I last put my razor blades... feels so long ago :D

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
  • Liked: 1433
  • Likes Given: 3073
Welcome to the future................. :D

« Last Edit: 11:12, 26 March 20 by ComSoft6128 »

Offline CanonMan

• CPC664
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 40
But we won't see them, because we haven't had our hair cut for 3 months :D

Bryce.

I had mine cut this morning  :P

Offline Bryce

• The Hardware Guy.
  • Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • It's not broken, it just hasn't been fixed yet.
  • Liked: 4017
  • Likes Given: 419
Barbers here closed a day before my appointment :(

Bryce.

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki

Offline Mr. DVG

• CPC664
    • Il Dizionario dei VideoGiochi
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 73
The situation in Italy is truly dramatic!

You cannot leave the house for any reason. The only allowed outings are to go shopping, if you are sick and have to take medicine or otherwise for strictly important things. We have received a self-certification sheet to be presented to law enforcement agencies.

WE CANNOT LEAVE THE HOUSE, THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE AND IMPERATIVE ORDER!

The streets are deserted and spooky. The number of infected has skyrocketed in the past few days! In northern Italy the number of deaths is not counted (I am from Rome, but the situation is also serious in the center). People in the north die like flies, they don't even have a chance to greet their parents...they die alone in the hospital, accompanied by doctors and paramedics alone on their last trip. The doctors no longer know how to pile up the corpses and there is not even more space in the crematory ovens...here in the center we are slightly better, but it seems to be in a terrible science fiction film with a dystopian future (which is actually real , very real)...

To protect myself I had to leave the call center where I worked, because I forced myself to go to the office with minimal precautions...and now in that same office because of COVID-19 a boy of 34 died years...I knew him...a real tragedy! I have hard skin and I have gone through many in life, I consider myself a strong person, but I have cried a lot in these days...we will make it, we will certainly do it, but it is really very hard...

Sorry for the outburst, but this is our real situation! Hopefully this will end soon, for us and for the rest of the world! Let's hold on!

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
Hello mate,

Indeed the situation is awful... already here in Greece things are very muted and, for many, depressing, but it's nothing compared to Italy's situation. The other day I had to turn off the radio because my significant other was in tears listening to news from Italy.

Not much one can say really. I want to think that the curve is flattening, so hang in there and all that, but it's not good either way. And then you've got Spain - what on earth is happening?

Offline roudoudou

• 6128 Plus
    • urban exploration
  • Liked: 1033
  • Likes Given: 644
The situation in Italy is truly dramatic!
I never doubt that  :-X Hello neighbour!
Was so ashmed of our gouvernment statements about your country  >:(
Coraggio per te

use RASM, the best assembler ever made :p

I will survive