News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Disc XP /fdrawcmd compatible PCs

Started by cherkasy, 23:42, 26 July 14

Previous topic - Next topic

cherkasy

After successful connection of 3,5" floppy to my Amstrad I can use USB floppy with it.
But I see games with other formats (Spac Gun, R T pe and so on) - which don't copy via this software to USB floppy.
What PC system You use for it ? I know, old laptops and new PC not compatible with this sofware/floppy controler (I test Compaq Armada 1750 and it don't work with this drivers).
I am interested in motherboards, which compatible with fdrawcmd drivers and all in one system for example.

CraigsBar

I have an HP 2250 mini tower that works fine. Any mobo with a 'real' floppy controller, not a USB one should be fine.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

cherkasy

Ok !  :) It's all Pcs ?

Munchausen

I have a toshiba portege 610ct that I use specifically for this. It only has a pentium 90 processor so I do it in windows 95/DOS. It's still a bit of a pain though...

The best thing to do would get a kryoflux, but I'm not 100% sure how well it copes with DSK files (and they're expensive). Maybe using SAMdisk would work.

It would be nice if one day you could get a special gotek drive firmware to do this.

cherkasy

Ok ! It's 610Ct floppy drive work fine with fdrawcmd driver and load/save files via CPC Disc XP ?

Munchausen

Quote from: cherkasy on 15:12, 27 July 14
Ok ! It's 610Ct floppy drive work fine with fdrawcmd driver and load/save files via CPC Disc XP ?

I don't think CPC Disc XP will work on it, as it doesn't have Windows XP (I just use DOS utilities to copy discs). Apparently you can get XP to run on it, but it would be dog slow. It has a standard floppy drive though so it would definitely work with CPC Disc XP if you installed XP running on it. That would be nice because you could have DSK files on a network share and just use it to burn discs.

What would be nice is to have a version of CPC Disc XP for windows 95, but I think it might be written in C# or something like that so it wouldn't work.

I also have a dock for the laptop so I tuck it away and just switch over to it on the KVM if I need to copy an image to disc.

The best idea is probably to get a pentium 2 or 3 laptop with a floppy drive and set it up with XP and a KVM with your desktop. Then you can simply put DSK files on the network share, switch over on the KVM and copy a disc, then switch back to your PC.

cherkasy

Ok ! Thanks very much.
I see laptops with XP and floppy drive, but I can buy laptop, which works in such tandem (software+floppy), to buy the obviously working laptops or all in one system.

Munchausen

As it happens a friend was having a clear out this weekend and has given me a thinkpad x31 with an ultrabay docking station. It is the last X series thinkpad to support a real floppy drive so is still fairly powerful (core 2 duo), and is only a 12" laptop, so it's perfect for this, and they are pretty cheap on ebay - highly recommend.

cherkasy

I buy old laptop Toshiba 1640 and install XP. Built-in 3,5" floppy drive and PC software (CPCDisk, Manage DSK...) for disks work fine. I can use original disks and write it.
One small problem - CPCDisk window is big for 800x600 resolution of my vintage laptop.