News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Suggest me a mechanical keyboard please?

Started by Gryzor, 16:19, 15 December 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

So, I've fallen in love with this:

You cannot view this attachment.

It's the Keychron Q5.

Reasons why I love it:
-retro looks!!!!
-excellent build quality
-great switch options (I prefer it to be on the silent side because I'm not alone)
-programmable RGB backlight (but it's not a must).
-Smaller size (also not a must, but also I'm not going for a TKL).
-KNOB

It's got a big minus which for the time being stops me from shelling out 200 euros: it's THICK. I'm not looking to relive my 464 cramp days, so it's definitely a minus.

Anyone can suggest an alternative? Looks and quality are equally important to me... a wireless option would be nice, but not obligatory.

Thanks!

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I have a Keychron K8 TKL (it has wireless option but I use it wired as the cable is out of the way for my setup) and I like it a lot, but that Q5 has a far nicer typeface on the keys (I don't know about the key backlighting on the Q5 which I think was why the letters are at the top of my keys on the K8).

The cursors are a bit odd being a little lower and forcing the missing right-opt / short shift - a little MSX-ey!

Gryzor

Ah I was considering the K8 for my MiSTer setup but in the end I decided it was too expensive for the purpose.

On the Q5 the keycap curves are also lovely! Backlight is south facing, I don't know how much it bleeds though the lettering .

Yeah the cursor keys are at a weird level by necessity (it always is the case with this size), but I'm willing to bet I can get used to it easily. 

reidrac

I was going to say that Keychron makes nice keyboards and they aren't super expensive, but then you have already found one :D

I was considering the K6 myself, but the one I have is going strong after 9 years, so I can wait!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Gryzor

Hehe yeah the K6 is also nice but it doesn't fill any of the criteria!

Which one do you have? I currently use a Das 4 myself. 

reidrac

I have a KBT Pure Pro with Cherry MX blacks. So far, indestructible :laugh:
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Gryzor

Oh I had seen the Durgod which looks bloody great (but still tkl) but I didn't know the brand... Nice ones but not full sized sadly! 

Fessor

Maybe the Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 would be something for you. they are available in an ISO layout, with a full-size keyboard and various cherry switches.

Interrupt

My "go to" keyboard is the Filco Majestouch. I have one at home and persuaded my employer to get me one too. Good build quality, no frills but I like that more than the backlit multicolour whizzy LED stuff anyway

https://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/uk-filco-majestouch-2-nkr-tactile-action-keyboard.asp

Gryzor

The Corsair is a great keyboard - I've typed on one (though I don't know what switches it wore). But it's probably the direct opposite of "retro looking"? :D Or "small"?

The Filco (welcome @Interrupt !) also is nice and closer to my aesthetic, but I wouldn't change my Das for it.

The thing is, I'm not looking for a "good mechanical keyboard" in general, already pretty happy with mine (also got a quiet one from, ummmm what is that Canadian manufacturer called...); looking for the characteristics I outlined in the OP :) But thanks for the suggestions nonetheless!

A shame the Durgod doesn't come with numerical keys!
https://drop.com/buy/durgod-fusion-wireless-65-mechanical-keyboard?searchId=72b39e09697e8c982245844b03e44213#imagecarousel

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Interesting layout for a cheapie mechanical (probably will have tactile feel issues at this price): https://www.amazon.co.uk/havit-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlit-Computer/dp/B08P4S6BWR/

Gryzor

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 11:35, 16 December 22Interesting layout for a cheapie mechanical (probably will have tactile feel issues at this price): https://www.amazon.co.uk/havit-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlit-Computer/dp/B08P4S6BWR/
Interesting color scheme, pity about the rest!

Also, interesting layout if nothing else.

martin464

For an off topic board this is surprisingly "on topic"

i read the title as "suggest me a mechanic please", the classic request for the honest local mechanic
("honest" also being a euphemism for 'will pass any old tat taken in for an mot')

CPC 464 - 212387 K31-4Z

"One essential object is to choose that arrangement which shall tend to reduce to a minimum the time necessary for completing the calculation." Ada Lovelace

Gryzor

Haha no, I need it to be honest as in, if I pay a couple hundred euros I want it to last, but my car is passing MOT just fine :D