News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464-themed PC keyboard

Started by Nich, 18:27, 29 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Nich

I found the tweet below via 4MHz's Twitter feed, and I see @Gryzor has noticed it too.

https://twitter.com/mariospr/status/989846737580851200

It's a PC keyboard which has been customised so that it resembles a CPC464 keyboard. 8) I'm seriously tempted to obtain one of these myself...

[attach=1]

Shaun M. Neary

Wait til you see how much it'll cost!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Nich

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 18:29, 29 April 18

Erm, yeah. :( I think I'll pass on this in the meantime.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 18:29, 29 April 18

How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 18:33, 29 April 18
How much?

Their keyboards range from $150 upwards!
Sorry, but it's just a keyboard at the end of the day.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 18:35, 29 April 18

More money than sense if anyone buys these.

Just do it yourself http://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm#.WuYDShbTWaM

pelrun

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 18:35, 29 April 18

Definitely expensive, but you get what you pay for. They're mechanical keyboards, very different from the mushy cheap rubberdome mechanisms you get in normal keyboards.

It's when you enter the realm of custom keycaps that it all goes a bit nuts... but you couldn't pry me away from my SA Carbon set.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: pelrun on 21:46, 29 April 18

Definitely expensive, but you get what you pay for. They're mechanical keyboards, very different from the mushy cheap rubberdome mechanisms you get in normal keyboards.

It's when you enter the realm of custom keycaps that it all goes a bit nuts... but you couldn't pry me away from my SA Carbon set.

Perspective thing really. I personally couldn't care less what's inside the keyboards. If i can type with them, then that's all I need. $150 for a keyboard is an out and out dealbreaker for me.  :laugh:

tjohnson

I think that keyboard looks a bit odd tbh, don't really see the point of it, i looks vaguely like a cpc464 i suppose.

Lenovo makes a very good keyboard which can be bought for about 15 quid. I have a cherry g80 which cost 60 quid any more than that is pretty insane in my opinion and i wouldn't pay 150 to have some green, red and blue keys. 

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Gryzor

Actually $150 for a good mechanical keyboard is not an unheard-of price. If it's good quality (from what I read they're *very* good) it's probably worth it. Of course it's not for everyone. Like with all things out there, if you care about them you'll consider them if you don't care about their selling points you won't.

I'm tempted to get one, but I'm scared of import duties. I had looked into Fentek to do the same thing myself because I think they support the keycap specs of my Matias silent mechanical keyboard, but I'm not sure...

Lazy Dude

Hey, where's the tape deck?  :laugh:

Shaun M. Neary

Don't you know? Cutting off the tape decks is the in thing these days.  ;)

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I like the look - although apart from the CPC and 464 keys it can be done with any mechanical keyboard with replaceable keycaps.

And yes, the feel of a mechanical keyboard is superior to rubber dome keycaps. But in the end it comes down to personal preference. It's a primary input mechanism and as-such it's worth spending some money IMO.

Kris

Bryce

Quote from: Kris on 12:14, 25 May 18
Miss a 664 version ;)

Just make sure that 5 or 6 of the keys don't work, for that authentic 664 feel :D

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 12:39, 25 May 18
Just make sure that 5 or 6 of the keys don't work, for that authentic 664 feel :D

Bryce.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

belzebu

Hi, interesting, i m working to similar project too, anyone know the RGB color for colored keys ?
I m searching for it on the web without success...

at this moment this is my project on wasd:

Thanks!

roudoudou

Eventually i have mine!

Corsair K68 + Aliexpress keycaps at ridiculous price

yeah, i forgot to replace the small enter key on the right, will do since i have fullset of all colors ;)
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Gryzor

Gryzor

Hmm should I get a few cans of paint for my Das? Anyone tried something like that?

Cunnah

Honestly custom double shot Pbt coloured keycaps are worth the investment in the long run. The keys don't wear out (you would be amazed how many times a key gets pressed!). I have painted keycaps for a project but they didn't last but you can extend their life time by a few steps.

• Prime the keycaps with a keying plastic primer.
  • paint the colour you want.
  • If you are using decals or vinyl symbols apply them next.
  • spray with gloss varnish.
  • spray with matt varnish if you want a matt finish.
I recommend acrylic paints and varnish as they tend to do less funky things with plastics.

I should note I also used a airbrush for them. I have used spray cans but I never could avoid the paint creating an orange peel surface.

Gryzor

That was pretty specific! Great advice!!

What is the "keying plastic primer"?

Regarding the finish, are the two last lines complementing or is it or/or? I had used a matt varnish in my tall CPC keycaps-cum-fridge-magnets project and they turned out great.

Orange peel as in it cracks? Has never happened to me with cans...

Also, since I'm not really an expert, are keycaps really that interchangeable? I can go out and buy some and they'll fit on my DAS next to the original ones?

Cunnah

So some primers actually etch the material and will give the best hold for anything you use. The issue with keys they do get worn quite a bit. I actually didn't do this step I think I used Mr Surfacer 1000 which is a fine pigment filler and basecoat for models. You have to use Mr Color Thinner to use it in an airbrush. With all primers I am afraid you would have to do your homework on what the keycap is made of and what you are using as a paint there is no one single answer I'm afraid.

The Varnish is a couple of coats of Gloss (as directed on the bottle / Can) and then a Matt finish if required. Gloss varnish is harder wearing than matt varnish and anything that is going to be handled needs it. The Matt varnish is purely for cosmetics.

Eventually you will wear through the varnish and the paint. I guess if you notice the gloss showing through you can always re-varnish with Matt to extend its life time.

Orange peeling is when the paint develops a texture similar to the peel of an orange. On small objects I find it can even make them look lumpy or deformed. I am not sure what causes this but I suspect its a combination of layering paint and the layers being too thick. With an airbrush you get much finer control but on the other hand you have to buy an airbrush! I make models so I already have one.

One last point if you do try to paint your keys make sure you use blue tack to hold them down. Wet paint soaked projectiles do not improve a white painted wall as I once found out  :doh:

Cunnah

I just had a friend point out that a half way house between spray paint and an airbrush is what is know as low pressure spray cans, Mr Surfacer comes in one. These give you more the flow you get from an airbrush without the need for an airbrush.  :D

On your last point there are a number of standards the most common modern one is MX Cherry switch standard. My custom keyboard has Gateron switches but they use the MX Cherry standard so I can use any keycaps that match the spec. I'm not 100% but it looks like Das Keyboards use MX Standard so most keycaps you can buy and order will be compatible.

roudoudou

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:39, 09 February 22
Also, since I'm not really an expert, are keycaps really that interchangeable?
most keyboards with cherry switch use the same insertion schem for keyz (so you have to search specifically CHERRY KEYCAPS)

you may encounter width or height variations, most of the time unoticable
a way to avoid size problem (key too big to fit the keyboard box) is to choose a keyboard without bump
on this picture you can see why i choose this keyboard (there are many other like this) because size wont block you if TAB or CAPS is too fat. The key can be push down anyway

My pronouns are RASM and ACE