News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Credit Card sized handheld!

Started by sigh, 12:23, 16 September 17

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

Looks interesting, though I think it would of been better in portrait mode.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903888394/arduboy-card-sized-gaming

mr_lou

Interesting, although I gotta admit I don't completely see the point, considering everything else that's already on the market.

As far as I can see, only the tiny size differs from many other options on the market - and how can that be a sales factor when "small screens" has practically been banished by everyone when looking at existing options?

I'm puzzled.

Bryce

But it's not powered by an Arduino, it's powered by an AVR. I wish people would stop mis-using the name Arduino.

Bryce.

sigh

Quote from: Bryce on 08:35, 18 September 17
But it's not powered by an Arduino, it's powered by an AVR. I wish people would stop mis-using the name Arduino.

Bryce.

Is Arduino a physical chip as well as software?

Admittedly, I have never heard of Arduino, but I think they were referring to the software, as they are thanking the Arduino community.

I think it's something I wouldn't mind dipping into due to it's form factor. My mobile phone isn't suited to gaming.

Bryce

Arduino is a concept. The chip is AVR, the software is C.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

That thing looks like a pain in the ass to use, to be honest. You'd need Trump sized fingers to be able to use it.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

VincentGR

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 16:03, 19 September 17
That thing looks like a pain in the ass to use, to be honest. You'd need Trump sized fingers to be able to use it.

I like the simplicity of this and the monochrome games but... don't know if it fits on my hands and as a 41 year old dude, don't really know how long I have left with these tiny screens  ;D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: VincentGR on 17:31, 19 September 17

I like the simplicity of this and the monochrome games but... don't know if it fits on my hands and as a 41 year old dude, don't really know how long I have left with these tiny screens  ;D

It's not the monochrome games I have an issue with. I took on two Speccys as an owner for the first time this year at the age of 41.

I don't have the biggest of hands as it is, but that thing looks like a nightmare. I've also managed to go 32 of my 41 years staring at screens without requiring bifocals of any kind. I often wonder how long before my number is up there too, but I sure as hell don't want to rush it either by staring at a one inch screen!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Bryce

Fancy design, but what's the point? Why is it modular? There is only one set of modules and only one way to connect them??

Bryce.

Skunkfish

Quote from: Bryce on 08:41, 29 January 18
Fancy design, but what's the point? Why is it modular? There is only one set of modules and only one way to connect them??

I guess parts are replaceable should they fail (if they're still available a couple of years down the line) and it sounds like upgraded parts may be available later...

Being a hardware novice, the idea of assembling it myself appeals to me as I could never accomplish something like that on my own.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Bryce

Quote from: Skunkfish on 19:58, 29 January 18

I guess parts are replaceable should they fail (if they're still available a couple of years down the line) and it sounds like upgraded parts may be available later...

Being a hardware novice, the idea of assembling it myself appeals to me as I could never accomplish something like that on my own.

If they fail that quickly it was a bad design to start with. It also makes it much more expensive = Multiple casings, multiple power regulation, extra connectors etc.
I could understand if they said there are 3 different screens and 5 different motherboards, 4 different keyboards, but it has none of that. It's a 4 piece jigsaw with only one solution.

Bryce.

Gryzor

I think you're looking into it very hard. My guess is, it's just a cheerful, cheap little thing?

Bryce

Cheap and cheerful is no excuse for questionable design decisions.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Nope, but is an excuse for "so what" :D

||C|-|E||

It seems that is perfect for hipsters, posers and the like... at least according to the people that appears in the promotional material  :laugh: