News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Ebay's "Global Shipping Program" - What a joke !!!

Started by 260Z, 22:47, 04 August 15

Previous topic - Next topic

260Z

Hi All ,

Rant to follow  ;)

I can't believe it is actually possible, for any organisation, to have implemented a new system so poorly. I find myself, endlessly, having to explain to poor UK sellers how the system actually works. Most don't even seem to realise that their items are being listed here in Australia. As a result this has made it increasingly difficult to purchase things from the UK. Especially small/cheap items like Amstrad tapes.

And because sellers don't know how the system works , you end up with the following issues.

No combined shipping !
No ability for the seller to override the shipping !
Ridiculous shipping on single items - $30 for a $5 game !

It's clearly a money making exercise for Pitney Bowes and Ebay.

Rant over ..... for now  ;)

Bruce Abbott

I have purchased a lot of vintage computer stuff off eBay using the global shipping program, mostly from the US. In general the shipping charges are lower than for stuff that is shipped privately.  Pitney Bowes have also been very reliable with fast shipping, excellent handling and no hassles (no sellers claiming that shipping cost more than expected so you have to pay!).

Before this service was offered in the UK it was extremely difficult to get anything sent to New Zealand. Larger items cannot be sent via post, UK courier charges are ridiculous, and people don't want to bother even when you are willing to pay. With the the global shipping program sellers just have to send their item to the local depot, without worrying about customs forms etc. Unfortunately it is not competitive for small items due to the minimum handling charges. But if you really want something, at least you can get it!

Looking on eBay right now - several UK sellers are offering Amstrad games bundles that might be worth the shipping charge, while others who aren't using the global shipping program are all 'may not send' (which in my experience means 'UK only' and can't be convinced otherwise). OTOH, sellers in France and Germany will send via post at reasonable rates.

260Z

Hi Bruce ,

Don't get me wrong , I think in principle the idea is great.

It's just that out of the last 4 seller's , only one has been aware that they were/are enrolled in the program , let alone knowing how it works. Automatically enrolling everyone has been the schemes greatest failing IMHO

Rob

archcosmo

<captain obvious>
you could always purchase from other sellers who do offer combined shipping for multiple purchases and aren't using the GSP?  ;D
</captain obvious>

the grief I have with Pitney Bowes and participating sellers (mainly the US), is that PB actually open the parcel from the seller, repackage/wrap the item and send it on its way (with appropriate customs export paperwork etc...) AND which more than likely will involve less packaging/bubble wrap and inappropriate filler material (eg not enough styofoam beans that may settle and create a void inside the carton)  >:( >:( >:(

I pay enough for postage to the seller to send the item the way *I* want them to send it, not what some middleman thinks is sufficient to protect my item from getting kicked/dropped/squashed and then skim a margin on the aggregated freight costs needed to fill a plane's freight container to land in it Sydney

also, if the seller is claiming you have to pay more on postage , then they're breaking the ebay selling rules by varying the final sale price at checkout. you should refuse and ask for your money back  ;)

Bryce

GSP is a joke. They also don't provide proper documentation, so you get hit for customs duty that you can't reclaim.

Bryce.

260Z

Quote from: archcosmo on 08:27, 05 August 15
the grief I have with Pitney Bowes and participating sellers (mainly the US), is that PB actually open the parcel from the seller, repackage/wrap the item and send it on its way (with appropriate customs export paperwork etc...) AND which more than likely will involve less packaging/bubble wrap and inappropriate filler material (eg not enough styofoam beans that may settle and create a void inside the carton)  >:( >:( >:(

I pay enough for postage to the seller to send the item the way *I* want them to send it, not what some middleman thinks is sufficient to protect my item from getting kicked/dropped/squashed and then skim a margin on the aggregated freight costs needed to fill a plane's freight container to land in it Sydney

Well , I suspect that's exactly what happened to some tapes I received yesterday.  25 tapes crammed into a tiny, paper thin carton with no packing , and no signs of the original seller's postage.  Fantastic ! , what are they going to do to a 464 if I source one from there.  :o

seanb

I sell all the time on ebay uk and I have no idea if I'm in this gsp though it sounds like I am.
eBay sent a few emails explaining how I can ship using argos (a chain of shops in the uk not the Greek island) so I happily use that.

Nothing for gsp.
I've had problems with European buyers to the point I only ship in the uk and Ireland now.
I have laserdisc for sale that would probably sell quite well in Europe but I wouldn't feel comfortable risking selling to anyone who isn't in the Netherlands, Germany or France plus I'm not sure how I'd go about posting abroad though that I could easily figure it out.

That said if someone contacted me asking to post abroad I'd seriously consider it but after hearing about peoples experiences with gsp I'd think twice about using that service
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

seanb

Quote from: 260Z on 09:35, 05 August 15
Well , I suspect that's exactly what happened to some tapes I received yesterday.  25 tapes crammed into a tiny, paper thin carton with no packing , and no signs of the original seller's postage.  Fantastic ! , what are they going to do to a 464 if I source one from there.  :o

Christ, it's difficult enough packing laserdisc which only have a cardboard sleeve.
If someone unpacked it then repacked it even in the same packaging I used I'm sure there'd be creases and bent corners and complaints from angry Dutch men.
I'll definitely avoid gsp now
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!