News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Has a game ever...

Started by sigh, 14:33, 06 March 16

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

...made you buy a console?

I bought the PS1 for Rival Schools, the PS2 for ICO, the PS3 for Mirrors Edge and now I'll be buying the PS4 for Dark Souls 3.

Shaun M. Neary

Once.
Smackdown - Shut Your Mouth was the main reason I bought a PS2 in 2003.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

reidrac

Magazines almost convinced me I had to buy an Amiga to play Dungeon Master.

"Almost".
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

tastefulmrship

I bought an XBox for Halo: Combat Evolved.
I will buy an NX if Beyond Good & Evil 2 is a Nintendo exclusive.

Bryce

Never owned a console, so obviously not.

Bryce.

EgoTrip

Pretty much all the Mario games have made me buy Nintendo handheld consoles to play them on. But no more. Nintendo can fuck off now.

CraigsBar

Tokyo highway challenge, ready 2 rumble and metropolis Street racer made me buy a Dreamcast. Forza motorsport and project Gotham made me buy an x-box, halo was a bonus ;)

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

villain

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:28, 06 March 16
Tokyo highway challenge, ready 2 rumble and metropolis Street racer made me buy a Dreamcast.

Crazy Taxi made me buy a Dreamcast and this Bongo thingie made me buy a Gamecube.

Trebmint

I bought the GX4000 for Chase HQ2

dodogildo

Quote from: villain on 15:39, 06 March 16
Crazy Taxi made me buy a Dreamcast and this Bongo thingie made me buy a Gamecube.
Same here. A Crazy Taxi coin-op session in year 2000, instantly made me buy a Dreamcast. Even it didn't, Seaman would do the same a couple of months later for sure :)

M'enfin!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Trebmint on 16:14, 06 March 16
I bought the GX4000 for Chase HQ2

Aw just close the thread now. We have a winner.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Token

Sonic. I bought a cheap jap SEGA megadrive console without the video cable. I had an Amiga then, I connected it to the 1041.

||C|-|E||

Sure! Gamecube for Zelda Windwaker, Metroids, Resident Evil 4, Tales... Dreamcast for Shenmue... and more recently, I would have bought the PS4 for Bloodborne if it was not my console of choice already   :D.

Some other games made me to upgrade the graphics cards as well. This is usually not an issue, because I need big computers to work in the lab and at home, but in some cases I upgraded a bit faster than usual for some games. I am thinking about Crysis 1 and some other shooters.

Trebmint

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 16:57, 06 March 16
Aw just close the thread now. We have a winner.
I bought 10 copies from Wave. Are they worth any money?  ;)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Trebmint on 17:32, 06 March 16
I bought 10 copies from Wave. Are they worth any money?  ;)

About as much money as that version of Street Fighter II for the CPC!  :D

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: sigh on 14:33, 06 March 16
...made you buy a console?

Sonic The Hedgehog made me want a Mega Drive (didn't get one until 2012 though, my parents went for the Mega-PC instead, way back when).
I missed out most consoles because there wasn't anything special that I wanted on them that the PC couldn't do; and consoles couldn't play Civilisation or Frontier: Elite II so I wasn't interested. However...

Grand Theft Auto 3 got me to pick up a PS2.
Halo got me to buy an Xbox.
Halo 2 got me to buy an Xbox 360.
Wii Sports and Wii Fit got me to buy a Wii.

Since I started collecting older consoles and computers, a few games have made me look back on various pieces of hardware. I bought a Dreamcast to play Shenmue (and one day I'll have the time to fix the laser head alignment in the Dreamcast so I can actually play it!) and I picked up an N64 to play Goldeneye (then instantly wondered what the fuss was all about. Seriously guys, that game is nothing special compared to PC games from the same time). The GameCube I have because it was cheap but there's nothing really special on it, and while I have a SNES, I'm still trying to track down anything worthwhile to play on it (although StarFox is pretty fun every now and then).

Computers are a different matter, however. I filled my Mega-PC up with RAM to play X-Wing and TIE Fighter. I upgraded to a Pentium to play Quake. I upgraded my PC to play Grand Theft Auto; and I still keep a decent-spec PC around to run Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition even though I've moved over to a Mac for everything else.

Some games are worth the effort, but most are a case of "if I have something it runs on, I might take a look at it".

seanb

Sonic for a MegaDrive.
Played it in Rumbelows and wanted it.

That star wars one for an N64. Shadows of the Empire I think it was called?

Rogue Squadron for the GameCube or Leader which ever was first.

Gears of war for the 360.

DOAXBV for the original Xbox and Count Duckula 2 for the 6128+
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: seanb on 17:56, 06 March 16
DOAXBV for the original Xbox

That was a fun game. :D

Quote from: seanb on 17:56, 06 March 16
Count Duckula 2 for the 6128+

Seriously? Why?

seanb

And Red  Faction for a PS2.
The completely destructible enviroments was something I'd wanted in a game for a while.

seanb

@Zoe Robinson I might have lied about a couple of games  :D

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: seanb on 18:00, 06 March 16
@Zoe Robinson I might have lied about a couple of games  :D

But not DOAXBV, surely? That game was hilariously stupid. :D

seanb

I didn't buy that but when I chipped my xbox I did download it.

4gb on dial up took forever

Trebmint

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 17:38, 06 March 16
About as much money as that version of Street Fighter II for the CPC!  :D
Really cos I never boot that game up ever. The CPC version is only mediocre at best. But then again it's really only the final version that AA received, and was passed to me by Dave Golder in the hope the source code would help with my game Lethal Moves

ZbyniuR

In 1997 I bought PlayStation because Colin McRae Rally and Gran Turismo.
In those times since 1 year I already had Amiga 1200 with 030 and HDD. It was very good decision. :)

@Trebmint - So, do you have this Chase HQ2 for GX4000 ??
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Trebmint

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 19:16, 06 March 16
In 1997 I bought PlayStation because Colin McRae Rally and Gran Turismo.
In those times since 1 year I already had Amiga 1200 with 030 and HDD. It was very good decision. :)

@Trebmint - So, do you have this Chase HQ2 for GX4000 ??
No I was joking :P