News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hello CPCWiki Forums =)

Started by Zetr0, 21:24, 06 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: Zetr0 on 16:23, 09 October 11
my super evil megamind plan is to unite the Spectrum and CPC comunities enough so I can develop a Universal 8/16Bit IDE Z80 adapter

This is surely a great idea, but you should try to stay compatible to at least one the already existing IDE adapters:

- Jareks 8255IDE
- R Palmers IDE8255
- SymbifaceII

Personally I like Jareks solution the most, for a single reason: It's is the most quick! Links, see here:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/IDE8255

and

http://8bit.yarek.pl/interface/yamod.ide8255/index.html

I don't want to tell you what to do :-) But it makes no sense to have half a dozend of different solutions, which are not compatible. It's a mess to do software for all of them.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:41, 09 October 11
Snapshot loading is very smart, a very nice feat. But Amstrad drives are pretty fast - we never had any issues with loading times.

Of course, with a 464 this would be a godsend...

In this discussion one point get's forgotten: With all HxC stuff and so on, it's still not possible to use long files.

You must have a hard-disc to use longer files. So for what are long files good for? Well, just think about games! (With some movies as part of them). I have demos on my hard-disc which use up to 2 MB, you can't have them, because you don't have a HD20 from Dobbertin. Well, won't miss them ;-))) However to have the ability to work with longer files is the point :-)))
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Zetr0

@TMF/FS

I must insist that you DO tell me what to do LOL, I am soooo new here with sooo many ideas its easy to get caught up with the wrong one, there is no point implementing somthing for the sake of itself.  Hardware must meet a need, it must meet a lot of needs to become successful =)

Now the S(PPI) interface looks pretty good, and easily within my ability, since its an already existing project I will most certainly look into it... I love making and adapting hardware, I also like making it as CHEAP and as AVAILABLE as possible =)

Did I mention that I am very much so into cheap =)

Now.... whats this I read about movies ??? got any links to youtubies or other such links?
If I had a hammer.....

TFM

I do agree with the cheap pricing :-)

TFM
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

I think TFM missed your last question on movies. He has posted them before, some really great and fluid renderings that (obviously) take up lots of space...

Bryce

Hi Zetr0,
       really nice work, small, neat and efficient. Are you using the standard 3e ROMs or have they been edited for this device? And have you released the schematics anywhere?

Bryce.

Zetr0

@Bryce

My thanks,

This adapter uses the +3e ROM's and is based on the Simple 8Bit IDE device for the spectrum.

However there is also Pera Puniks revision of the adapter that allows for use with the 48k/48k+ 128k and 128k+2 (Grey) - it also requires the PPROM for these machines as well.

It would seem that the earlier sinclair deveoped systems require the use of different address lines for use compared to the +3 (and revised +2AB).  I suspect that this is down to the memory contention model of the machines.  because of this I have revised the initial design so that the next batch will be universal (with solder pad jumpers) to select between the two target hosts.

I shall upload the schematics and the eagle boards to my FTP later today and link it here for you =)

I seem to be having trouble linking files from the FTP so I shall PM you, but in the mean time here is the (composite) PCB from eagle =)

If I had a hammer.....