News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How many are really watching "true" 50 fps YouTube videos?

Started by mr_lou, 17:13, 06 June 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Which refresh rates can your PC monitor show?

50 hz
3 (17.6%)
60 hz
14 (82.4%)
75 hz
2 (11.8%)
100 hz
3 (17.6%)
Other
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

mr_lou

While recording a bunch of videos from my CPC, and subsequently watching them on my PC, I notice they're rather jerky during playback.

This seems to be because my PC monitor has a refresh rate of 60 hz, which isn't dividable by 50 fps, and thus shows every 10th picture twice, resulting in a stutter 5 times per second.

I'm thinking most people's monitors is "stuck" on a refresh rate of 60 hz, which means none of us are really watching "true" 50 fps videos on YouTube.

Even on monitors where it's possible to change the refresh rate to 50 hz, I can't imagine anyone thinking about that, let alone actually switching over.

So, isn't it true that none of us are really watching 50 fps videos on YouTube?

I made this poll because I'm curious to know the refresh rates you're using.

||C|-|E||

reidrac

Yep, most computer screens now a day are just 60Hz (some can do 120Hz).

It is common to vsync, so you're getting 60 FPS and that's it.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Lone

Hey, I'm really interrested about this topic : From a long time, I was really frustrated with this problem of smooth display on modern computer.
So I added a way to display "true" 50 hz mode on my emulator, on screens that supports 100 hz (with insertion of black frame, which give good results). It's more easy to set than youtube, because I can choose refresh rate on full-screen-window.

So I searched a bit about 50hz demo on youtube, to test it on my screen, and it's quite good (but not perfect, maybe because of the lack of vsync used).

To answer your poll, I'll turn the display to 100hz to enjoy these videos.

remax

For emulation, the way to go is G-Sync/Freesync...
Brain Radioactivity

khaz

My display is currently an LCD euroTV, so I suppose it can do both 50 and 60Hz?

I never tried watching a 50fps youtube video though. Got a link?

[edit] I try to watch videos with direct capture of videogames in 60Hz though, as it gives a better understanding of the smoothness of a game and how it would really look like.

VincentGR

60Hz here, that's why most emulators sucks except of MAME.

reidrac

Actually, just found that this screen supports 75Hz at 800x600 (and 640x480).

I don't think any speccy or cpc emulator I use takes advantage of that though.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

mr_lou

Quote from: reidrac on 07:05, 07 June 16
Actually, just found that this screen supports 75Hz at 800x600 (and 640x480).

I don't think any speccy or cpc emulator I use takes advantage of that though.

I think you're right.
Shouldn't emulators be able to do the same screen trickery that games do? I mean, doesn't games switch to various screen resolutions and refresh rates?
Emulators ought to do the same.

But that still wouldn't fix the YouTube issue - unless someone develops a YouTube application you can install that changes screen resolution and refresh rates like games do, according to the specs of the video.

It makes very little sense to say: "Click on this YouTube link here to see the full 50 fps from the CPC", when no one has a screen that actually shows them 1:1 or 1:2

reidrac

I'm not an expert, but it could be up to how the video is encoded, isn't it?

Are you uploading videos at 50 FPS?

According to youtube: Common frame rates include: 24, 25, 30, 48, 50, 60 frames per second (other frame rates are also acceptable).

I'm sure @chinnyhill10 can provide good information on this.

mr_lou

Quote from: reidrac on 08:46, 07 June 16I'm not an expert, but it could be up to how the video is encoded, isn't it?

No, that's what this thread is about. How many frames per second your video is in doesn't mean much if the display you're watching on doesn't actually refresh with the same rate - or a rate that is dividable with the framerate.
For the sake of example, showing a 50 fps video on a 25 hz display will ultimately only give you a 25 fps video.
And showing a 50 fps video on a 60 hz display (most PC monitors) will never produce the smooth output you get from a real CPC either. You need a 1:1 50 hz display for that, or a 1:2 100 hz display. And even that might not be enough. It probably needs to be synced too.
So watching 50 fps video from YouTube on your PC doesn't represent the CPC properly at all.

Quote from: reidrac on 08:46, 07 June 16Are you uploading videos at 50 FPS?

No, for my project I'm targeting Blu-ray, which is much better in this regard - if watching on a real hardware player. (As always, you always get the best results when sticking to the real hardware).
Blu-ray players simply tell your TV that it's sending a 50 fps stream, and then the TV switches to proper output resulting in an awesome 50 fps smooth video.
Being used to seeing my CPC on my LCD TV via a SCART cable, I was actually a bit surprised to see that my TV could actually display such a nice output with smooth 50 frames per second.

arnoldemu

This monitor only does 60hz. My one at home does 60hz and 75hz. I think custom modes can be defined on nvidia windows drivers but this means none of the youtube vids will play back at the correct speed for me.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Lone

Quote from: mr_lou on 08:22, 07 June 16
I think you're right.
Shouldn't emulators be able to do the same screen trickery that games do? I mean, doesn't games switch to various screen resolutions and refresh rates?
Emulators ought to do the same.

Some advertisement here : Sugarbox does it (from version 0.25) !

In the menu "Display", choose "Configure full screen", then choose the resolution and refresh rate.
If you select 100 hz display (if you can, of course), be sure to check "Insert black frame" option from the same menu.
The result is, then, a lot more close to real CPC display (50hz scrooler are really smooth)

reidrac

Quote from: Lone on 14:21, 07 June 16

Some advertisement here : Sugarbox does it (from version 0.25) !

In the menu "Display", choose "Configure full screen", then choose the resolution and refresh rate.
If you select 100 hz display (if you can, of course), be sure to check "Insert black frame" option from the same menu.
The result is, then, a lot more close to real CPC display (50hz scrooler are really smooth)

Very interesting, I'll see if I can make it run in WINE.

mr_lou

So, in conclusion, none of us are really watching real 50 fps videos on YouTube.
None of the uploaded 50 fps videos on YouTube are displayed with 50 frames each second. They are typically displayed with 60 frames each second because of the 60hz monitors, thus not giving the correct representation of the CPC.

Maybe some day in the future? If/when PC displays gets a refresh rate of 300 hz. (Dividable with both 50 and 60).

Until then, as far as I can see, the only way of watching true 50 fps video, is by using a hardware DVD player or Blu-ray player. The Blu-ray player toggles refresh-rate on the LCD TV and then displays a very nice smooth 50 fps video. I'm assuming the DVD player can do the same if it has an HDMI interface. Otherwise it may need to use a CRT display in order to show proper 50 fps.

Other ways of watching true 50 fps video?

If someone made a dedicated YouTube app for PC that toggles screen resolution and refresh-rate according to video settings?
I'm guessing there's probably way too little interest in that for anyone to create such an application though.