News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

In honour of Steve Jobs - first Apple experience/hardware? Was it great?

Started by khisanth, 19:40, 09 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Well, Apple tries all to become the #1 hated, even before M$
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

My thinking. Nowadays people have actually stopped talking and cursing MS and started dissing Apple instead - or am I the only one seeing this?

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Badstarr

Wow I just found this little gem of a thread! I think I can see how such a battle can become ignited (as I type on my MacBook). I think it basically comes down to this: Apple is the only real computer/hardware vendor that has a real identity, you know, like our Amstrad CPCs have. Apple computers are really the only living fossil of a bygone age where a computer brand meant that you were part of a community, or rather, 'Tribe'. The fanboy culture is a global scale version of the playground battles of the 80's Speccy, Commodore, Amstrad. 

I think the guy that started the thread took a lot of flack really. I think he has just bought in to the whole cult of Apple and the tribal identity, and it's an easy trap to fall into. When you find a machine be it a car, a drill, a washing machine or a toothbrush that feels right for you, some people can't understand why anyone would want to use anything else, it just comes down to personal preference. I use a Mac, or PC,  or CPC, or Amiga, etc because it feels right for 'me'. I think the Apple fanboys forget that a Windows user is just as entitled to their preference as a Mac user.

Aren't we all CPC fanboys to an extent?  ;)

I admit it, I love Macs. Let me ask you this, and in doing so you might get a bit of an idea why Apple people seem so shallow at first glance. If you have to work in a room, do you pick the one with grey walls, bare floors and horrible lighting? Or one that is comfortable filled with IKEA furniture and pleasant to be in? Theoretically it shouldn't make a difference but to me it would. Macs have a pleasant look and feel, that for some makes them appealing to work on, and the OS is stable and flexible, nice to look at. Compare that to Windows XP which was contemporary to Mac OS X when it launched and tell me which OS makes you want to get going on that project you've been meaning to start? Maybe you'll like the more clinical Windows Xp? But for me I like the warm fuzziness of OS X. Some like the (new) warm fuzziness of Windows 7! But yes, Macs cost too much!

The cult of Steve Jobs all comes about because Apple fanboys mistake his contribution to the world of computers etc. No he didn't invent anything new, but he did seem to have an uncanny ability to spot the technologies of tomorrow. Yes the mouse existed eons before the Mac had one, however, it didn't seem to find a place in everyday computing until Apple and Jobs put it next to a Mac and said 'there you go use it' it kinda took the 'skill' out of using a computer. I would put serious money on the Atari ST not having a mouse if the Mac didn't have one! Apple's innovation can get a little overhyped but I think it's silly to pretend that Apple not have really shaken up the industry especially in the last 10 or so years. You know, Led Zeppelin didn't invent the blues, but that's essentially all they play and I think few would discount their impact on the shape of music today (not that chart crap though!).

To the Topic Starter - Steve Jobs was a clever man who had great drive and ambition, and for that I have a lot of respect, but he is not the messiah, his company made available for sale some products that people find really useful and help them produce some great things and some of those things have changed how people work etc. And it's great that you have found a computer platform you have a great deal of belief in but are you sure Steve Jobs really had that much of an effect on your life? Give credit where credit is due, the real thing he can be credited with is pushing products to market that have changed the way we interact with technology and that's his real contribution to the world!

Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Bryce

Quote from: Badstarr on 03:52, 17 November 11
If you have to work in a room, do you pick the one with grey walls, bare floors and horrible lighting? Or one that is comfortable filled with IKEA furniture and pleasant to be in?

So there's three rooms? A grey one, a comfortable/pleasant  one, and one that has Ikea furniture in it? :D

Otherwise I see your point, but don't share the opinion. I don't find Apple computers (especially their laptops) warm, fuzzy or nice to work on. I much prefer the look and feel of other laptop makers, and my OS of choice is Linux (that's the one where OSX gets all its ideas, so it might be familiar to you :D )

Bryce. 

Gryzor

Badstarr, a great post.

I agree with almost everything you said. The aesthetics is (are?) obviously way ahead (regardless of whether you like it or not, actually). But, like Bryce, I don't consider them to be either warm or fuzzy, quite the opposite actually. And although I used to love the MacOS interface, I think it's getting a bit long in the tooth nowadays. I now prefer my toned-down, slightly customized Win7 interface to be honest. Can't wait to see what the next step will be for Apple in that regards (if there's ever any).

Badstarr

You're absolutely right Bryce, OS X owes a hell of a lot to Linux, and some of the tweeks Apple have made have found their way back into Linux too. Apple fanboys forget OS Xs debt to Linux. I personally use OS X because it's the only OS that I can run my creative software, Reason 6, Cubase and Logic (obviously the last one is Apple only any way) with real stability. Windows has made a quantum leap with 7 but I just can't get used to its interface now, it seems counter intuitive to me. I like the way the menu bar changes context in OS X with the selected window/app so you don't have to pull the window into view to control it. If Linux could run my creative apps I would give it serious consideration. For now OS X is my OS of choice (and I don't necessarily run it on Apple hardware all of the time  ;) ) I don't think I like where Apple are taking it with Lion, I think it's soon going to turn into an over grown iPhone OS and when that happens my OS X days will be numbered!
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)