News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

- at start of filenames

Started by ralferoo, 12:21, 22 December 21

Previous topic - Next topic

ralferoo

OK, this probably seems like a ridiculous question, but I've ignored it for years and now finally want to know!

So, I don't use disks very often myself, other than to try out other people's demos. I've noticed in the past occasionally things start with a leading - in the name, but this seems to be increasingly more common.

What is the reason for this? Does it make it easier to use with ParaDOS or FutureOS or something like that? It's just most of the cases I've seen it, it's been in a video of someone who does CAT and then RUN"-whatever so it just seems like an extra character to type for no good reason.

And an even more obvious question - for everyone who releases disk demos, why does nobody use |CPM to launch? Is that just because they want people to see CAT art? Can you have CAT art and |CPM on the same disk?

ComSoft6128

That practice irritates me - I rename the files using Parados.
But(!) I can see the reason for it - it moves the relevant files (loaders usually) to the start of the CAT leaving program and data files secondary.
It really does help when there are multiple files on a disc.

Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGfg-UxXwM&t=10s

Prodatron

Quote from: ralferoo on 12:21, 22 December 21What is the reason for this?
Like ComSoft wrote, it is for sorting the directory. "#" has beend used quite often for this as well.

Quote from: ralferoo on 12:21, 22 December 21And an even more obvious question - for everyone who releases disk demos, why does nobody use |CPM to launch?
|CPM only works from drive A. In the past I had all my discs on 5,25" on my external floppy drive, and I hated these programs and demos, which could only by started with |CPM, as I didn't have this drive switch mod in my CPC :)

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

GUNHED

Quote from: ralferoo on 12:21, 22 December 21
...I've noticed in the past occasionally things start with a leading - in the name, but this seems to be increasingly more common.
What is the reason for this? Does it make it easier to use with ParaDOS or FutureOS or something like that?
Well, just my 3 Kreuzer (something like a penny but little bigger) here:

1. In general: To turn the first letter of a filename to '-' will move the filename to the beginning of the directory. So if you look at the first file, it's the one important to start.

2. FutureOS: To turn the first two letters of a filename to '- ' will move the filename to the beginning of the directory. So if you look at the first file, it's the one important to start.
In this case you can use the hotkey 'j' to jump to the first filename in a shown directory listing.

Quote from: Prodatron on 12:51, 22 December 21
... |CPM only works from drive A. ...
Using X-DDOS you can use the command !CPM,2 to start 'CPM' or whatever from drive B.
(X-DDOS 2.10 can even use this command to start from hard disc. Which imho is a cool feature)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

BSC

Quote from: ralferoo on 12:21, 22 December 21Can you have CAT art and |CPM on the same disk?

Yes you can, but it is incredibly hard and only few selected coders managed to pull that off ;-)

One example I happen to know of is BSC Megademo: https://demozoo.org/productions/168525/
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.